March 15th, 2014 | Auctions, EarthBound

I’ve been super-duper slacking on my EarthBound price updates lately. I hadn’t updated buyearthbound.com since October, so some readers were curious to know how the prices have changed since then.

The quick answer is that the prices haven’t changed too much:

EarthBound cartridge (avg. price): $152 (up from $142)
EarthBound guide (avg. price): $87 (up from $86)
EarthBound complete set (avg. price): $459 (down from $462)

As always, these were tallied by hand based only on eBay auctions that ended successfully within the past month. I did this particular tallying about 2 weeks ago when I updated the buyearthbound site.

So it looks like even with EarthBound on the Wii U and the various bootlegs and hack reproductions that are starting to pop up on sites, the cost for a genuine copy of EarthBound hasn’t changed much at all in the past few months.

12 Comments to EarthBound Price Changes Since October 2013

BusterTheFox said on Mar. 15, 2014

Somehow I expected it to hover around the same price ever since Wii U EB. Hmm. I guess playing on the original hardware is just worth it for some. I admit I’d love to, but I can’t afford it, lol.

Viridi said on Mar. 15, 2014

It makes sense for the price of a legit copy would stay the same. While a virtual console release is convenient , people still want a legit copy for collectors value

Axrin_Zekrom said on Mar. 16, 2014

I have to say I do check the buyearthbound site annually and use it alot im hoping to get a copy using the site, it could really help in my favor, I want to say thanks for making such a great help with me on my journey of trying to buy an entire earthbound box and all.
Axrin_Zekrom

mac said on Mar. 16, 2014

I dont know how many people actually watch gamester81 but i kind of agree that some game do make it hard collecting for nintendo but i do like to see earthbound climb in price

Earthboundians Unite! said on Mar. 16, 2014

Glad it was still a sound investment! Never going to sell my cart unless I really need the money, but glad I’ll atleast be getting back a bit of profit. I think I may try to get the box and manual separate, they seem to go for less when it’s not a complete set. I also need to pick up a complete copy of Mother 3 aswell. Possibly Mother 1, but I’m not sure how much one of those sell for complete nowadays.

Anonymous said on Mar. 16, 2014

Speculation and people only buying the game for future profit…….sadly this is what video game collecting has become. 95% speculators, resellers, and fad collectors, and 5% people that actually care for the right reasons.

2Sang said on Mar. 17, 2014

Part of me doesn’t want the price to go down because I bought one at $150 a few years back lol. I doubt it will ever be below $100 or even $150 anymore.

Joey aka ZeroSquared said on Mar. 17, 2014

Hey Mato! I have a question about you having a Japanese Wii U; can you make smooth transactions with an American credit or debit card?

Mato said on Mar. 17, 2014

I haven’t had any trouble using my American credit card to buy stuff on my Japanese Wii U.

Oh My said on Mar. 18, 2014

I sold my SNES and carts in December. I bought mine in 2011 because I eventually wanted a copy of Earthbound. I gave up on that because I knew having “the real thing” wouldn’t be nearly as awesome as I thought. If you are able to play the game, and I have done so via the ROM and Wii U VC release, then you are playing the same game on that overpriced cart. The cart does not have magical powers. It does not clean it self when it gets dusty. It does not slip into the SNES better than other games (which is a pain in the butt).

Basically, as I said before, people need to stop buying the carts to make the prices go down. Sellers have a hive-mentality. If no one buys their stuff, they lower the price.

Zeph101 said on Mar. 20, 2014

I live in Australia where a whole lot of Snes games were just plain never released in this country. Back in 2007, when I had the fiances I decided to splurge a bit on ebay and buy complete copies of games like Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, FF6 and Earthbound to name a few. It cost me about $500 Australian all up which was about $250 American back then. It staggers the mind to see that to buy a full copy of Earthbound alone is nearly double the amount I paid for it alongside all those other quite expensive games now. I think I just missed the start of this ridiculous price rise for retro games.

I think Starman.net and the Mother 3 translation of course contributed to the rise in popularity of Earthbound but I have a feeling about another strong factor that led to the craze in collecting old 8/16bit games. It was shows like “The Angry Video Game Nerd”, “Matt the Nes Punk” and for a more recent example Jared on “The Completionist” that also contributed to this craze mainly through showing off how cool their massive collection walls were. I’m guessing some people have thought to themselves ‘that looks pretty cool, I want something like that’ at some point, I know I have.

Oh My said on Mar. 23, 2014

Hey Zeph, I know what you mean. However, AVGN and other game collectors usually started collecting early on. AVGN was alive when the NES came out, so he’s been collecting for a long time. People who bought games since then, without the intention of collecting, and never traded or sold their games are lucky as well.