February 4th, 2014 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

KingMike sent this e-mail in about the boat captain in EarthBound:

I always did it in order, so I’m not certain: is Magnet Hill one of the Your Sanctuaries you’re required to visit during a specific point in the game? (the only ones I’m sure on are Giant Step, Rainy Circle, Lumaine Hall and Fire Spring)

I was watching this EB Let’s Play. This guy got the Carrot key but forgot to go back to Pink Cloud. I didn’t realize there’s an extra bit of text when you sail to Scaraba, where the captain tries to remind you. I wonder if he does that for other missed Your Sanctuaries, or just Pink Cloud because it’s the easiest one to forget about?

Neat! I don’t think I’ve ever noticed this extra bit of text before, or maybe it’s just been so long since I’ve last seen it that I’ve forgotten. I always get confused by this part of the game, just after you get Poo, so I can’t recall if you NEED to be Magnet Hill before you go sailing or not. Does anyone know?

A few years ago I documented a few rarely-seen lines of text in EarthBound here, but it looks like there are still some more that I missed. Are there any other slightly-different lines or scenes like this out there? If so, lemme know!

11 Comments to The Captain’s Extra Line of Text

Tonch said on Feb. 4, 2014

Is Magnet Hill the one in Fourside? If so, I got to almost the end of the game without getting it, and I don’t recall if there were any reminders or not.

cool said on Feb. 4, 2014

what a nice guy.

H.S said on Feb. 4, 2014

Yeah, as the video shows, the Captain has several extra lines that gets added if you meet various conditions. The dialogue the video shows is his full dialogue.

If you have Poo in your party, haven’t gotten the melody at Pink Cloud, and have the Carrot Key in your inventory, then he says his full dialogue, as seen in the video.

If you don’t have the carrot key, he leaves the last line about the Carrot Key out.

If you have Poo in your party and you’ve cleared Pink Cloud, he says everything up to the “You guys must be quite the adventurers!” line, then skips to “Hahaha! I’m feeling much better now!”

If you do the boat ride again after Poo leaves to learn PSI Starstorm, then he says everything up to “So how come you guys are all right?”, then skips to “Hahaha! I’m feeling much better now!”

If you take the boat ride during the game’s ending, the dialogue is the same as in the previous example.

Another interesting thing related to Magnet Hill and Pink Cloud is that the game records which Sanctuary you did last. Then, after you finish Magicant, the scene with Ness waking up is shown in that Sanctuary.

However, the game only thinks you can do Lilliput Steps, Milky Well, Pink Cloud, or Fire Spring last. If you do Magnet Hill last, I think it just shows you in Lilliput Steps for the post-Magicant scene.

Esper said on Feb. 4, 2014

Well there you go. The more you know. Thanks, H.S!

Miles of SmashWiki said on Feb. 4, 2014

Uh, H.S, how exactly could you do Magnet Hill last, under normal circumstances? To do Pink Cloud requires the Carrot key, requiring you to get to the end of Magnet Hill. Unless you can open that chest without triggering the sanctuary..?

H.S said on Feb. 4, 2014

Yeah, it’s possible to get the chest without triggering the Sanctuary. You have to go around the bottom and check the chest from the left.

Miles of SmashWiki said on Feb. 4, 2014

Huh, okay. I didn’t think you could get around the trigger there. Interesting.

Jason said on Feb. 4, 2014

That part of the game confuses me too. I just wander around and do stuff and somehow it all works out… :|

The conditional text exists of course, but I’ve never noticed it, or else I wouldn’t have been so disoriented all the time. :p

ChozoBoy said on Feb. 4, 2014

I saw that line in my Wii U playthrough.

G.Wicks said on Feb. 6, 2014

If you show each member of the Runaway Five the wad of bills (use the wad of bills like an item while facing them), they all say something extra. I think the ticket man says something too, or maybe that was in fourside…Unfortunately, when you get to fourside, if you show them the diamond they dont say anything. I’m not sure if anyone pointed this out yet.

September said on Feb. 8, 2014

This is really cool! I’ve never really thought to compare dialogue or actually thought about changing it up when it comes to which order I get the melodies in. Maybe I should try and see what kinda fun stuff I can find. :P

Find Merchandise!