February 9th, 2014 | EarthBound 64, Interviews, Itoi

A few weeks back, an old interview between Shigesato Itoi and Shigeru Miyamoto from 1999 was translated and posted on Nintendo World Report. Part of the interview covers the topic of MOTHER 3 for the Nintendo 64 and is worth checking out!!

Here’s a quick example blurb from Miyamoto, see the article for the full thing:

I really hope we get it into a playable state by winter. I look forward to that one. That’s the kind of game that just gets better and better the more we put into it, so there’s this feeling of “So when do we finally stop and put it out the door?” I’m really looking forward to that one.

You know, this reminds me of when Iwata mentioned in a different interview that a reason the project fell apart was because he was pulled into the international business side of things while working on MOTHER 3 for the N64. I wonder how different things would be now for Nintendo if he had kept working on MOTHER 3 and finished it. I wonder if he’d be Nintendo president now.

7 Comments to Itoi & Miyamoto MOTHER 3 Interview from 1999

ZeroSquared said on Feb. 9, 2014

I can never decide if they should have or shouldn’t have worked on it for the Nintendo 64. The N64 never had any great RPGs, but it would probably differ from the Gameboy Advance storyline some if it did come out on the N64… and I really wouldn’t have wanted it to be altered.

davidtheliar said on Feb. 9, 2014

This just makes me a little sad there wil be no offical mother 4. Imagine th possibilities and the music! In all honesty, mother 3 is my least favorite in the series. It’s a good game, nonetheless, but dq 4 did the chapter system better almost 20 years prior! Im fact, the monkey chapter reminded me of torneko so much, i thought it was a parody.

Misterdigi35 said on Feb. 9, 2014

This would have been the game to break the trend of there being no truly great RPGs on the 64. That’s my take on this. Very hard to determine that without actually playing the game itself, but hearing them talk about it provides a lot of insight into it, and the actual enjoyment factor of the game which sounds like it was very high.

Hagaren1 said on Feb. 9, 2014

I personally think whether preferring a N64 release to the GBA one is a matter of how one thinks MOTHER 3’s narrative should be interpreted. While the summary is identical, the N64 one attempted to base the game more in a dreaded reality, thus the murky, twisted, but vaguely realistic looking art style. This style compliments the over-the-top concepts, but gritty tone the game was going for. The GBA version revamped the storyline more tenderly, focusing on growth more than loss. And with that, the familiar MOTHER art style contrasted well with the games poetic and hopeful tone. Those optimistic themes intertwined beautiful with optimistic graphics. The N64’s graphics (might’ve) intertwined well with it’s more edgier themes. Either way, I believe they would’ve both been equally great by this sense.

Animegame97 said on Feb. 9, 2014

I’m glad that Mother 3 came to the GBA because the pixel graphics just make it seem more like a sequel to Earthbound. Usually 2D games have more charm to them then 3D ones. I don’t know if they could have pulled it off as well as they did if it was on the N64.

refat17 said on Feb. 9, 2014

While I would love a MOTHER 4 officially, it just wouldn’t be the same if Itoi doesn’t take part in the game. For a fan game I’m happy as well its a fan game made by people who love the series. I’m just not sure of what would happen if Itoi didn’t work on an official MOTHER 4 it was being made. If something official and new does ever come though I don’t except MOTHER 4 but either a side-story or something that is in between the MOTHER games or a prequel to the first MOTHER. I really don’t feel that would happen though either. If Itoi can’t work on the game it has to be some sort of remake or maybe even a spin-off game.

I really don’t know about the future of MOTHER on the official side, but I’m open to anything really.

Earthboundians Unite! said on Feb. 10, 2014

I definitely do think if Iwata did stay and help program the game that he probably wouldn’t be where he is now, just simply because if he didn’t go and do those things, he wouldn’t have moved up the ladder at that time, not saying he could never move up the ladder, but if he didn’t take that chance, he probably wouldn’t have gotten another.