MOTHER Game Guide Cheat Book FAMICOM TSUSHIN 1989 Japan Nintendo FREESHIP

January 29th, 2014 | EarthBound

mrspoon

A reader named Santiago asked an EarthBound gameplay question a while ago and it’s had me curious:

I was playing EarthBound/Mother 2 from the Mother 1 + 2 (With the traslation patch ;) ) and was in the Summer’s Cutural Museum (with Poo in my party) and when i leave the Museum, the call from the curator of Fourside’s Dinosaur Museum doesn´t appears. :(

It’s been a long time since I’ve had this problem, but I remember there’ve been times when I’m like, “Wait, what? Isn’t the phone supposed to ring as I’m leaving this museum? What gives?”

It’s one of those things that I’ve never been entirely clear about, so I thought I’d share the question here – why does the phone sometimes not ring at this part of the game? What are you supposed to do first to get the phone call to happen?

I’m sure the answer is super simple, but if anyone can shed light on this question I’m sure it’ll save many players trouble in the future!

12 Comments to The Phone Call at the Summers Museum

SgtMettool said on Jan. 29, 2014

I’m 99% sure it’s because he finished Magnet Hill already. You actually get some leeway in when you can complete that dungeon.

Santiago said on Jan. 29, 2014

I only have four melodies, i don’t know what i’m doing wrong. :/

tobias said on Jan. 29, 2014

You need to have the hieroglyph copy in your inventory. I believe you have to also have watched the last runaway five show in outside so that way what’s her name will be the performer there. That’s right you can leave the runaway five there for ever

Santiago said on Jan. 29, 2014

Forget it, somehow, I already have the banana for Venus. o_O

Michael said on Jan. 29, 2014

I currently playing it for the first time and I talked to a man who said the other museum found something exciting. I went over there before I even got poo and finished up everything. I guess I accidentally went out of order.

H.S said on Jan. 29, 2014

Tobias basically explained it.
The game checks two flags. First, it checks whether or not you’ve talked to Mr. Spoon about getting the autograph. If you have, then the phone won’t ring. It also checks to make sure you’ve received the hieroglyph copy.

mac said on Jan. 29, 2014

Really i never knew it didnt ring. Also i had venus not give me banana peel before i couldnt figure out why.

Cameron said on Jan. 29, 2014

I don’t think I’ve ever had the phone ring so I must do things out of order every time…

mac said on Jan. 30, 2014

What hapoens of the phone doesn’t ring? Just go on like normal?

JRobo said on Jan. 30, 2014

Huh. I never really encountered that problem before. I always go to the museum right after I get Poo, out of habit. Then the phone rings, and I get the banana later. Funny, how different events occur depending on how you go about doing things, even if its something small like that.

Buster The Fox said on Jan. 30, 2014

Recently been playing through the game on my Wii U, and this just reminded me that I totally forgot to do that whole thing. Right now I’m about to enter the Stonehenge base. I got the call before I even did the Fourside Dept. Store part. Honestly though, this event in particular is so insignificant to me that I never really payed attention (Ironic that this is my third go through the game and it’s the first time I did the Insignificant Item side quest. MAN, whoever found out about that must have gotten really lucky with what they checked. Or possibly could have been a ROM hacker looking through the item data or something and located it from that. I ramble).

NessPSI said on Jan. 31, 2014

I only got the phone call once. lol, i do everything the wrong order every time i play.