Random Post:

Weekly Round-Up #19

January 14th, 2014 | EarthBound 64, Rumors

Over the past few months I’ve heard some very quiet, vague rumblings about a collector getting his hands on a prototype copy of MOTHER 3/EarthBound 64. I’m still VERY skeptical about it all, but here’s what I know and have been told by various sources.

Apparently the trail started with a YouTube comment… which already sets off some alarms, but you can see it here:

A month later, on a different video, the same user makes another claim:

Still very skeptical but curious, I decided to take a look at this guy’s YouTube channel… and to my surprise he really is a hardcore collector of rare systems and development hardware:

The thing is, his videos seem pretty informative and interesting, so it doesn’t seem like he’d have a reason to lie. But at this point I just let it go and passed on the info to some other people.

Later, I learned some more info:

• Apparently the start of the prototype had this same demo movie that played at Spaceworld ’99:

After the video, you could apparently run around a town and then fight a few things. It was supposedly boring:

• He apparently sold the MOTHER 3/EarthBound 64 prototype for cash to someone offline a few years ago. So if this prototype is real, then the trail turns cold here.

So, if real, it sounds like this prototype might technically be the Spaceworld 99 demo. For reference, another prototype version apparently exists, but it’s probably still in safe hands.

I’m very skeptical about the whole thing, but I figure that by putting this out there other fans can help dig up more info on the subject and help prove or disprove it.

76 Comments to Rumors of an EarthBound 64 Prototype

David said on Jan. 14, 2014

I really hope someone will dump the roms sometime soon, would be cool to try it out!

Carl said on Jan. 14, 2014

His casually mentioning an SNES prototype like it’s no big deal, and dismissing the N64 demo just because it was “BORING” sets off all kinds of alarms. If he collects this sort of stuff, he’d have to know how sought-after the N64 version of Mother 3 would be, regardless of whether or not the demo itself was fun to play.

Smellygarbage said on Jan. 14, 2014

I don’t see why a collector of rare game prototypes would sell away two almost one of a kind items just because they’re “boring,” Even if he’s not a EB fan, you would think he would have to be at least aware of the fanbase to even have these items… I highly doubt this is real.

LuigiBlood said on Jan. 14, 2014

I already looked. This guy also made a few fakes like Super Mario 64 on 64DD (which actually exists, but not in the way he made it look like).

Pep said on Jan. 14, 2014

I’ve been following him for a little while and although his videos are cool and informative, I have a hard time believing the EB64 claims. Always interesting when something like this comes about though. I still hope someone will come across demo someday.

LuigiBlood said on Jan. 14, 2014

…Nevermind actually. Maybe I’m confusing that guy with another. “skater” in the username is quite common.

But I saw that comment, but I don’t really believe him because saying it’s BORING when it’s a proto or a demo… it doesn’t make any sense.

LuigiBlood said on Jan. 14, 2014

Also, he said the demo was nice on my video (I’m KiiroBomber), and then he says it’s boring on another. This guy is lying. It’s contradictory.

Vince94 said on Jan. 14, 2014

Here’s a post from his channel’s Discussion page of him responding to someone who wants him to make a video about his Super Mario 64 SNES prototype cart:

“Prototypes are rare and obscure. I like to keep mine like that. nobody will know my other prototypes. if you thinks Mario for the SNES is cool, youre wrong. theres better and nobody will know.”

From what you say here, it sounds like he *might* have a copy, but after reading this I doubt he’ll be friendly enough to show it to us.

Honestly said on Jan. 14, 2014

Um… I think you guys are taking the word “BORING” out of context.

You guys seem to be acting like he’s insulting it, or calling it “bad”, or he’s saying that it’s existence is no big deal, when I’m pretty sure what he’s really saying is literally just that there is nothing specifically much in the actual gameplay section.

He says it right there in the same comments. There’s just a few enemies, you can walk around a bit and it’s mostly empty and playable for about a limited 10 minutes.

He’s saying THAT’S boring, he’s not disrespecting the fact that it exists. Honestly, if I played through the prototype of an RPG that had a few sparse enemies, and one small location to walk around in, regardless of his amazing the existence of the prototype was, i’d call that boring if I played it, too.

Honestly said on Jan. 14, 2014

typo correction…

*regardless of how amazing the existence of the prototype was

Carl said on Jan. 14, 2014

I don’t doubt his claim that the demo as he described it was boring, but in my opinion, he is being dismissive of it solely for that reason. To me, that doesn’t sound like someone who knows how sought-after such a demo/prototype would be, and based on the collection shown in his YouTube videos, I don’t believe that he would be ignorant of that fact.

Prayer For Safety said on Jan. 14, 2014

If he was referring to Mario FX, it’s been confirmed as a hoax http://www.snescentral.com/article.php?id=1032

Saying the prototype was fun on one video and “boring” on another seems suspicious. Either he’s been trolling the whole time, or has the prototype and wants people to think otherwise.

Kumatora said on Jan. 14, 2014

I just got on the persons website, and he/she seems really full of it. Heres a quote from their homepage “Our Job is to Find and collect Rare games and Preserve them in history.” It sounds like they’re trying to copy lostlevels.org, but unlike them these people aren’t going to share anything. I also found a list of games they “preserved” and guess what? No Mother 3 or Super Mario FX is listed, but they do have an E3 build of Twelve Tails Conker 64. All of this, and the fact they want people to send them money comes off as a redflag. I really wouldn’t think to much of this. Maybe one day we can somehow get that copy from Brownie Brown.

Kumatora said on Jan. 14, 2014

(didn’t mention this in my last comment) They have never shown Mother 3, Super Mario FX, or Conker, chances are they don’t have any of them. The comments calling the game BORING just seems like a way for them to toy with us. It’s like they know people desperately want to play these games so they troll the people that do.

Porky Means Business said on Jan. 14, 2014

Even if it is boring, wouldn’t a truthful person upload a video of the prototype anyways?

Ritch Man said on Jan. 14, 2014

I own all the prototypes ever!!

Skater24481 said on Jan. 14, 2014

Ive had the Eprom PCB long before I was in dev collecting. Im not a fan of earthbound, I could care less for the mother series really. I made a good 35,000 of the PCB. To the other people who have a hard time believing me, its up to you what you think. I don’t show my prototypes any more and only keep playable one that I like. also for disclaimer I was not Referring to the Mario FX game, has nothing to do with it and as for Mario on the 64DD, it is indeed legit. picked it up from a legit source. I don’t waste my money on bootlegs unless there for the genesis or Famicom. I Don’t Appreciate the Spying Either “Bubba”.

Batguy said on Jan. 14, 2014

Can you tell us who you sold it to so we can harass him?

DexterTheThird said on Jan. 14, 2014

Well, things just got interesting.

Though this is probably not the real Skater24481. I mean, I could not be the same DexterTheThird from GameFAQs, etc, because of the way anonymous comments work here.

Milo said on Jan. 14, 2014

I thought his comment about the SNES 2D prototype referred to the SM64 proto Bubba mentioned. I don’t think that comment should be taken the EB64 had a SNES version at one point, it’s ambiguous at best.

Mato said on Jan. 14, 2014

Oops, you’re right, I fixed that.

bitter anon said on Jan. 14, 2014

He’s lying so more people will witch his youtube videos, and you just gave him a shitton of hits. The guy is full of BS man.

Porky Minch (the whiny b-hitch) said on Jan. 14, 2014

Hes lying about all of this, and I highly doubt the person who left the comment was really him. He doesn’t like Mother games, but gets on here, and responds within a few hours? BS plain and simple. “He” also didn’t explain give a very good answer to our comments, and left us with many questions about the proto. All an attention seeking maneuver by a person who didn’t seem to ever own any Mother releated prototype.

"Not the Real Skater24481" said on Jan. 14, 2014

its funny how a lot of you think this is BS. very amusing. Im done here. Credit to this guy Pacman on youtube for telling me about you Pokgais.

DarklingDragon said on Jan. 14, 2014

Hmm…Well, the person that does own a copy of the prototype probably keeps it safe. This reminds me of the guy who uploaded an hour of the Dinosaur Planet prototype.

refat17 said on Jan. 14, 2014

We probably aren’t missing much but it would be nice to see. It’s kind of weird for a collector of something like that to speak the way he did though. He might just want us to think he has it so it seems he has this rare stuff. You never know though.

refat17 said on Jan. 14, 2014

We probably aren’t missing much but it would be nice to see.

refat17 said on Jan. 14, 2014

sorry about the double comment

skyrunner14 said on Jan. 14, 2014

I really don’t like this guy’s attitude or behavior, and I’m going to have to join the “this guy’s a fake” crowd.

I look at things this way: if a Mother 3 proto exists, I feel it’ll show up at some point. I mean, look at Resident Evil 1.5. That game was AFK for over a decade, people said it’d never been found or released. Now we’ve got not only the prototype out there, but a dedicated group of fans hacking it and making a more complete version out of it.

I’m not saying all of that exactly will happen, obviously, but a release? Maybe. Who knows. It’ll probably take years, but I feel it would eventually find its way into the hands of someone who would want to share it with the community.

Chivi-chivik said on Jan. 14, 2014

Pfft, just by how they responded… it loses all credibility.

Jerk said on Jan. 14, 2014

Guy’s probably full of it, but it never fails; Mother fans always get defensive. Honestly, a prototype like this probably would be boring to somebody that isn’t really into Earthbound. Although Prototypes in general can be buggy and unplayable to begin with. Even if popping the game in a playing it as is isn’t that interesting, digging into the code and extracting things that never made it into the screenshots would be.

RockXLight said on Jan. 14, 2014

This guy could have the one existing copy of the prototype and you guys just ran him off. Good job.

Alex said on Jan. 14, 2014

I had a dream once that I was playing the earthbound 64 prototype, what a great dream it was hopefully some day a very kind person can share it with the world.

Arekou said on Jan. 14, 2014

Claiming you have something you don’t have it’s an easy way to ask for attention…lol probably he is just lying and it’s laughing right now, unless proof is shown I won’t believe it, BTW “I don’t show my prototypes anymore” Way too much bragging but no proof you have it kid, sorry but Bragging it’s not how you prove something so you are clearly lying.

Moonside said on Jan. 14, 2014

He sounds like just another troll. Sorry. It sounds like the beginning of Bio Force Ape all over again… but not with the happy ending. I really hope we can get it and preserve it, but its becoming a bit unlikely.

Porky Minch (the whiny b-hitch) said on Jan. 14, 2014

This guys a douche, plain and simple. From the comments he left here, and the way he acts on Youtube. All he does is brag about what hes got. Like when showing his Panasonic Q he was talking about something and said “it’s so rare I don’t even have one” The way he wants people to send him stuff, and trolls for attention just shows the kind of person he is.

A lot of lost video games came out of the woodwork last year. Resident Evil 1.5, ToeJam & Earl 3, videos for Twelve Tails and Dinosaur Planet, among others. Eventully this game will be found, and the source won’t be related to this guy who clearly didn’t ever have the game or most of the other protos he claimed to have.

LucasPSI said on Jan. 14, 2014

Well… the spaceworld demo has got to be somewhere right? Maybe it actually is in someone’s hands right now.

Porky Minch (the whiny b-hitch) said on Jan. 14, 2014

One more thing, he didn’t seem to do his research. He claimed that you see the E3 clip and then the demo starts. That sounds a bit odd for N64, and since it’s supposedly such a short demo I’m going to say he wanted people to believe it was a cartridge from Spaceworld 99. But theres no way it could be, the person that attended Spaceworld 99 and sent Mato screenshots and a description didn’t say anything about a video playing before the demo, and the screenshots have things you couldn’t see on the video either.

Lopsided_Vectrex said on Jan. 14, 2014

Jon was right, you guys are weird. Its Just a PCB, calm down.

2Sang said on Jan. 15, 2014

Maybe someday it’ll be released to us fans. Or better yet, remake Earthbound 64 Itoi. Just kidding but seriously would like to see the rom.

skyrunner14 said on Jan. 15, 2014

Adding on to what Porky Minch said, considering how the trailer is cut, there’s no way the N64 could switch from area to area so quickly like that. You would only see such transitions in a trailer. Ergo, the guy’s lying.

genesisdoeswhatnintendont said on Jan. 15, 2014

Pics or it didn’t happen. (Seriously, that guy is a weird tool. That prototype is pricess and he sold it.) If it does exist, there’s no way some other guy hasn’t tried to sell it for more. This guy is full of used tampons and wet farts.

We detail reflections of trophies in hacked game data. No way we miss the “slighty holy grail” of mother 3.

This guy is empty inside.

BusterTheFox said on Jan. 15, 2014

Yeah, after reading through all the comments, I see zero proof and one person with bad grammar who posts on YouTube (And doing so using “troll language” as I like to call it). One more vote for “Fake” and one more vote for “Let’s ignore him”.

BusterTheFox said on Jan. 15, 2014

“Let’s ignore him until he shows some concrete evidence”*

Of course he probably can’t since he supposedly got rid of it years ago anyway.

Another lie this troll told us said on Jan. 15, 2014

Theres no way he could have made $35,000 on the proto, he says $35,000 suggesting that he sold it for more, and made that much profit on it. Never has a prototype sold for that much, nor will it. He claims to have sold it years ago before retro gaming was “cool” and prices began to go up, so if $35,000 for a proto now is unheard of, imagine how farfetched it would have been back when EarthBound was still regularily selling for around $80.

nem said on Jan. 15, 2014

Da, he is lying just to get the views. lol

Anon said on Jan. 15, 2014

@Another lie this troll told us: Adding to that, someone willing to pay $35,000+ for a prototype would surely know about it’s history and would probably know about the Mother-Fanbase in one way or another. There’s no way in hell we wouldn’t have heard about it by now. Nobody pays that amount of money for something he is only vaguely interested in.

shows7 said on Jan. 15, 2014

I am pretty sure this is fake.If this was true than he would have at least made a video about it to show the EarthBound fan base. Like he did with all his other “super rare once in a lifetime stuff” It would be a big bummer if this ended up being real and he sold it. :/

Andrew said on Jan. 15, 2014

That guy also said he had a concept Mario 3D snes cart. It’s been proven that such a thing never existed. Miyamoto said that he, “had an idea of working on a 3D Mario for snes from working on starfox”, not that one was even started.

Borman said on Jan. 15, 2014

We have already picked his materials apart on Assemblergames. He tried to pass off a Japanese trial demo of Jet Set Radio Future, the very one I own, as a prototype. Not happening.

skyrunner14 said on Jan. 16, 2014

If the guys from Assembler say he’s full of it, then he is. Time to move on, me thinks.

DatBagel said on Jan. 16, 2014

Hi, i’m TheAmazingWorldOfRoy aka the guy who owns the channel that “skatter24481″ commented on.

I just wanted to say that after the message I confronted him via pm telling him that if he does have it, he should upload gameplay to prove it. He responded saying, and I quote “There’s nothing on it”.

I then sent him a message again in which he didn’t respond to. Now, I would log in to my youtube account again… if not for the fact that I have forgotten the email and I can’t log into it again.

DatBagel said on Jan. 16, 2014

Scratch that, I logged in, he has yet to respond.

DatBagel said on Jan. 16, 2014

Also, nobody DARE harass him, pm him, confront him or anything. He’s skeptical about leaving youtube and we definitely don’t want to enforce that opinion.

Ring064 said on Jan. 16, 2014

@ DatBagel,

so then… did you say that he really said there’s “Nothing on it”? Sorry but are you really telling me that your going to believe that? Sorry, but im leaving this case behind. This is becoming more stupid by the second. we may have a better chance finding a test of Banjo threeie for Xbox or finding more on Project Dream than this.

Chase said on Jan. 16, 2014

Wow, I didn’t know there was a proto of 64 available to play for the development team of the gba version to play. How do we not have this yet? Why don’t we go to the brownie brown office with pitchforks and torches? I will apply a sneaking suit and sneak into that damn office myself if I need to. I am so hopefully we will actually get to play this one day. I will go set up my n64 right now

Chase said on Jan. 16, 2014

Hopeful*

DatBagel said on Jan. 16, 2014

@Ring064

Don’t believe me. I have nothing to lose. You on the other hand lose the truth.

skyrunner14 said on Jan. 16, 2014

@DatBagel

Yeah, the false truth you’re lying about maybe. And nice alt account, by the way.

Radic said on Jan. 16, 2014

“Another lie this troll told us said on Jan. 15, 2014
Theres no way he could have made $35,000 on the proto, he says $35,000 suggesting that he sold it for more, and made that much profit on it. Never has a prototype sold for that much, nor will it.”

I honestly wouldn’t honestly be surprised if there was a prototype for MOTHER 64 and sold for around that much. I mean maybe not 35, maybe a little over 10? There are three known copies of the Earth Bound prototype, one at NOA, one with Roo, and one who is virtually unknown. http://earthboundcentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=842#wrapheader according to Stevesessy he talked with him and wouldn’t budge for even 10K. I can assume a prototype of the N64 game could sell that much today considering there is only “1” and there are 3 EB NES prototypes. Plus there are some people willing to pay that :P The likelyhood of someone purchasing it and not inform the fanbase whether being bragging rights or to prove it exists? Not so much.

Hagaren1 said on Jan. 16, 2014

There are many misleadings in his description of the prototype, and with those you can expose that he is definitely lying. Such points include:

-The Spaceworld video DID NOT play on the demo cartridges themselves;they played on separate TV screens above the demo area,as seen here: http://starmen.net/eb64/spaceworld/DSC0042.jpg

-He says he just run around towns and fight 3 enemies. Several sources state Tazmily only acted as a hub, and leaving it would lead to completely different areas, such as the desert or caverns. Of course, they had many exclusive enemies per area.

-Sources such as IGN also explain the demo begun with Flint investigating the strange sounds coming from Sunshine Forest. Screenshots also show the title screen beforehand as well. This puts down the Spaceworld video as false as well. In a 10 minute demo, this would waste 2-4 minutes off the players time as just introductory cutscenes.

Animegame97 said on Jan. 17, 2014
Porky Minch (the whiny B-hitch) said on Jan. 17, 2014

Shigesato Itoi had this to say about the video http://images.kaneva.com/filestore9/704261/6332963/notfunny.jpg

DatBagel said on Jan. 17, 2014

You can see me responding to him in the video -.-

Nintendork said on Jan. 19, 2014

hmm…

Buzz Buzz said on Jan. 20, 2014

He changed his Youtube name to “Jatworks” and deleted his comments reguarding about the Mother 3 proto like the coward he is.

Big League Batter said on Jan. 20, 2014

Doesn’t Nintendo keep a couple copies of any prototype? How would someone even get a copy for themselves to sell/pirate/etc.?

skyrunner14 said on Jan. 21, 2014

They wouldn’t.

Big League Batter said on Jan. 22, 2014

Then how have we been able to acquire ROMs of EB0, Star Fox 2, Dr. Mario, etc.?

Yeaske said on Jan. 23, 2014

Eh, if he is credible on what he has and has had, he doesn’t care about the actual preservation of games. He jus thinks he’s cool for owning rare things and making money off of them while they have artificial value. If he did care he would make good dumps of everything unique he came in contact with.

NessSmash said on Jan. 23, 2014

I agree with every person who commented 100% The guy’s a troll and a fake. Someone else would know about it if it really existed, no doubt. If I ever got my hands on something Mother related that either nobody has heard of or the 5 Mother prototypes, I would show the fanbase both on this site and starmen.net. I would obviously brag about it too..maybe let someone extract the file and dump it onto an emulator or blank carts. But bottom line, it’s a clear fake.

Big League Batter said on Jan. 25, 2014

Amen!

C.N.M.N.E_KELP said on Jan. 26, 2014

you guys are weird XD.

Shigesato Itoi said on May. 2, 2014

I hope someone and I sweat some female admin/moderator from Starmen.net will wear Kumatora Costume from EarthBound 64 and dance Osohe Movements.

lamebound said on May. 2, 2014

To convince speaking of EarthBound 64 even to its remake i would like buy n64dd with 4 eb64 cartridges and advertise this like ProJared.Majority of people would like to perfect existance of Super Mario 64 Remake including upcomming multiplayer and oculus rift support.It fabulous to PewDiePie and Gabe Newell.