Shigesato Itoi’s Copywriting
Over the past few months I’ve heard some very quiet, vague rumblings about a collector getting his hands on a prototype copy of MOTHER 3/EarthBound 64. I’m still VERY skeptical about it all, but here’s what I know and have been told by various sources.
Apparently the trail started with a YouTube comment… which already sets off some alarms, but you can see it here:
A month later, on a different video, the same user makes another claim:
Still very skeptical but curious, I decided to take a look at this guy’s YouTube channel… and to my surprise he really is a hardcore collector of rare systems and development hardware:
The thing is, his videos seem pretty informative and interesting, so it doesn’t seem like he’d have a reason to lie. But at this point I just let it go and passed on the info to some other people.
Later, I learned some more info:
- Apparently the start of the prototype had this same demo movie that played at Spaceworld ’99:
After the video, you could apparently run around a town and then fight a few things. It was supposedly boring:
- He apparently sold the MOTHER 3/EarthBound 64 prototype for cash to someone offline a few years ago. So if this prototype is real, then the trail turns cold here.
I’m very skeptical about the whole thing, but I figure that by putting this out there other fans can help dig up more info on the subject and help prove or disprove it.
Other Related Posts:
76 Comments to Rumors of an EarthBound 64 Prototype
- Toby: I doubt you could get to Jr./Son of Starman, as you would need to have everything memorized to come even close. Besides you also have that...
- something fuzzy: Definitely would’ve been interesting to see a 3D rendition of a Flying Man, but in the end it probably was a wise choice to...
- Supergamerk: I like how they put Earthbound, an RPG with a VERY slow beginning on a time limit. I’d be surprised if you could get to Starman...
- Ostricho: Jess is right, there was a portion with a Ness FP fighter. I remember seeing it, and rewinding to pause it at that screen. EarthBound...
- Boodledump: This is awesome!