M2 vs. EarthBound Mega Update
Over the past few months I’ve heard some very quiet, vague rumblings about a collector getting his hands on a prototype copy of MOTHER 3/EarthBound 64. I’m still VERY skeptical about it all, but here’s what I know and have been told by various sources.
Apparently the trail started with a YouTube comment… which already sets off some alarms, but you can see it here:
A month later, on a different video, the same user makes another claim:
Still very skeptical but curious, I decided to take a look at this guy’s YouTube channel… and to my surprise he really is a hardcore collector of rare systems and development hardware:
The thing is, his videos seem pretty informative and interesting, so it doesn’t seem like he’d have a reason to lie. But at this point I just let it go and passed on the info to some other people.
Later, I learned some more info:
- Apparently the start of the prototype had this same demo movie that played at Spaceworld ’99:
After the video, you could apparently run around a town and then fight a few things. It was supposedly boring:
- He apparently sold the MOTHER 3/EarthBound 64 prototype for cash to someone offline a few years ago. So if this prototype is real, then the trail turns cold here.
I’m very skeptical about the whole thing, but I figure that by putting this out there other fans can help dig up more info on the subject and help prove or disprove it.
Other Related Posts:
76 Comments to Rumors of an EarthBound 64 Prototype
- DJ: From what I’ve gathered I’m pretty sure he still writes copy, so they’re an ad company.
- cosmodos: What does his company even do? Is it actually lucrative? From what I can gather (not knowing Japanese), it’s just his blog, and he...
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.