Over the past few months I’ve heard some very quiet, vague rumblings about a collector getting his hands on a prototype copy of MOTHER 3/EarthBound 64. I’m still VERY skeptical about it all, but here’s what I know and have been told by various sources.
Apparently the trail started with a YouTube comment… which already sets off some alarms, but you can see it here:
A month later, on a different video, the same user makes another claim:
Still very skeptical but curious, I decided to take a look at this guy’s YouTube channel… and to my surprise he really is a hardcore collector of rare systems and development hardware:
The thing is, his videos seem pretty informative and interesting, so it doesn’t seem like he’d have a reason to lie. But at this point I just let it go and passed on the info to some other people.
Later, I learned some more info:
- Apparently the start of the prototype had this same demo movie that played at Spaceworld ’99:
After the video, you could apparently run around a town and then fight a few things. It was supposedly boring:
- He apparently sold the MOTHER 3/EarthBound 64 prototype for cash to someone offline a few years ago. So if this prototype is real, then the trail turns cold here.
I’m very skeptical about the whole thing, but I figure that by putting this out there other fans can help dig up more info on the subject and help prove or disprove it.
Other Related Posts:
76 Comments to Rumors of an EarthBound 64 Prototype
- Dr.x: Even if they are not sold out yet. It will still be hard to get one.
- Dr.x: Speaking of which it seems I am not the only one who can’t go but I am a teenager but is there an age limit to this? Other than my age...
- .: are they sold out already?
- Banana Burger Bum: Tucson, Arizona. Which sounds like Twoson. I wonder if that was intentional.
- HpBoost: Definitely picking one of these up – perhaps he will be like some of the ones I’ve seen so far and have his eyes offset.