January 15th, 2014 | EarthBound

Boss Fight Books has released its EarthBound book today! This was a project that was announced a while back, so if you haven’t heard about it, here’s a description of the book:

An RPG for the Super NES that flopped when it first arrived in the U.S., EarthBound grew in fan support and critical acclaim over the years, eventually becoming the All-Time Favorite Game of thousands, among them author Ken Baumann.

Featuring a heartfelt foreword from the game’s North American localization director, Marcus Lindblom, Baumann’s EarthBound is a joyful tornado of history, criticism, and memoir.

Baumann explores the game’s unlikely origins, its brilliant creator, its madcap plot, its marketing failure, its cult rise from the ashes, and its intersections with Japanese and American culture, all the while reflecting back on the author’s own journey into the terrifying and hilarious world of adults.

If you’re interested or wanna build up your EarthBound collection even more, you can pick up the book here!

14 Comments to EarthBound Book Releases Today!

JeffMan said on Jan. 15, 2014

Insta-bought, can’t wait to read it

HpBoost said on Jan. 15, 2014

Same here, JeffMan. I had forgotten about this being announced, now I’m excited!

Bionic said on Jan. 15, 2014

Did you guys get yours via the ebook version? I bought it as a digital download, but never got the code to dl it :(

mac said on Jan. 15, 2014

Oh yea!! I forgot about this. Whay exactly does this book cover?

EarthBoundnerd199X said on Jan. 15, 2014

Arrrrggggghhh!!!!! It says I have to “fix the problems below” for my billing address, but I can’t see anything wrong with it!

Bionic said on Jan. 15, 2014

Just got the email! Looks like they are sending out the digital copies now. :)

Boss Fight Books said on Jan. 15, 2014

Hey Bionic, for now we are sending the ebook out via email. Just sent the morning batch out.

EBNerd, was it resolved? Our store is through Shopify. If it’s still not working, we can figure out an alternate payment, like through Paypal.

Thanks everybody! Excited to get these books out to you.

[…] Grab yours here Link […]

Anonymous said on Jan. 16, 2014

I dunno, I went back and reread the snippet that the author wrote on Kotaku and it still seems uninteresting and extremely lacking of substance. I mean, if the opening of the book which is meant to grab attention is so lacking of insight into the game itself, I can’t really imagine a whole book about it being any good.

EarthBoundnerd199X said on Jan. 16, 2014

I got the book and I’m counting down the seconds ’till it gets here. Thank you soooo much, Boss Fight Books!!!

Anonymous said on Jan. 16, 2014

Yeah, I’ve started reading it and it’s like the author talks about his childhood and growing up in Texas for 10 pages, then has a tiny snippet about Itoi. Then he talks about snorting crushed Ritalin at 13. Then a small EB factoid. I think the book could have benefitted from an outside editor. Because while the author’s childhood is nostalgic to him
for his own reasons, it’s just a lot of extra exposition that doesn’t really have anything to do with the game. I think the EB anthology has all of the same info, and is more on-topic.

I don’t mean to be negative, it’s a great effort he put into this for the fan community…but I also feel a little cheated paying for an EB book and reading about the family horse, “Tater Tot.”

[…] Fuente […]

JMan said on Jan. 18, 2014

Saw it on twitter and bought it instantly. Just delivered!

Ninten1 said on Jan. 22, 2014

I’m a little ways in, but I’ll echo the sentiments above: it’s a bit of a self-indulgent mess; just a lot of rambling and pretentious references. It really should have been edited by someone unattached to the author.