Hobonichi Techo Onett Japanese Planner Cover Mother 2 Earthbound

January 3rd, 2014 | EarthBound, Images, Merchandise

A reader named Eric sent me this the other day:

Yo, great site man. I’m active duty military stationed up in northern Japan. Took some vacation during this past week and spent a few days down south in Tokyo (31DEC-2JAN). Saw you post about the new Mother 2 straps being released so I figured I’d keep my eyes peeled for them. While in Akihabara, I saw the straps at two different locations, figured I’d tip you off just on the off chance anyone else is visiting Tokyo soon and wants to try and snag some. I have a few more pictures that I can email you if you would like, contact me at erichill0@gmail.com

Location 1: Akihabara Gachapon Kaikan
Place is kinda tucked away on central street in akihabara but still a pretty well known spot. I took a few pictures if you would like to see the store. This place literally had hundreds of different gachapon machines. And they also sell complete sets of most gachapon, the new Mother 2 straps were 2,200 yen (about $20 with current exchange rate).

Location 2: Yodobashi Camera
Really big mall like electronic store, similar to similar to best buy. They had a pretty big gachapon section (6th floor near video games), but not nearly as big is the other location. While up there I asked a clerk about the gachpon machines, showed him this site on my iPhone as a reference. The clerk found it hilarious that I was interested in such an “old” game. He even called a coworker over, and both seemed very surprised that mother 2 had a fan community outside of Japan. He then proceeded to take me to the machine I was looking for.

I ended up blowing 7,000 yen on 35 capsules hoping to get atleast 2 complete sets. The first 30 were purchased at location 1, and the remaining 5 at location 2. This is what I got:

4x Ness
6x Paula
7x Poo
5x Jeff
4x Mr. Saturn
2x Master Belch
7x Master Barf

Mission accomplished. I was a little bit puzzled as to why I received so many Master Barf capsules when it is supposedly the rare one, maybe luck? Anyway, great site man!

And here’s the snapshot that was included:

a6

So if you’re in the Tokyo area and want to know where to find some MOTHER 2 capsule machines for sure, these are some good leads! Thanks again, Eric!

17 Comments to Are You Hunting for MOTHER 2 Straps in Japan?

Chivi-chivik said on Jan. 3, 2014

Too bad I still can’t go there. You probably know why at this point.

SuperStarmen said on Jan. 3, 2014

I wish i could the the poo one. :(

Jason said on Jan. 3, 2014

They also have them in Odaiba at Diver City!

Mr. Tenda said on Jan. 3, 2014

Oh, I’ve pretty sure I’ve been to Akihabara Gachapon Kaikan. Man, if only they had these straps back then.

2Sang said on Jan. 3, 2014

I’m hoping the sets get a little cheaper on amazon so I can pick up a whole set, otherwise, I’m just going to get one of Ness and Master Barf

Dengar said on Jan. 4, 2014

I plan on hitting up Odaiba and Akiba before the holiday break ends, but I think I’ll try to do Akiba first now so I can just get a full set. Thanks for the tip, Eric! The place I was at in Osaka wanted much, much more ;(

Kyosuke said on Jan. 4, 2014

I’m in the Aichi/Osaka area and I can’t find any. :( Still got some more places to visit and check though.

Dengar said on Jan. 5, 2014

checked both yesterday, neither have any. bought the last set from the Gachapon Kaikan and didn’t see any places selling them individually, including Retro Gaming, which tends to carry Mother stuff fairly often (or did, since lately it’s just the games).

Dengar said on Jan. 6, 2014

OK, went to Odaiba. None in Diver City mall, but I found them in Aqua City mall outside the Toys R Us. Machine seemed only half full, and that was with it being unmarked at the time (it’s marked now).

Ghost of Fukuokaman said on Jan. 6, 2014

I still have a set or two available if someone is interested.

Jason said on Jan. 6, 2014

I wonder if Ikebukuro might have some. I’m in Harajuku this weekend, so I’ll check while I’m there.

Asterisk said on Jan. 7, 2014

@Ghost
How much are you offering the set for?

Ghost of Fukuokaman said on Jan. 8, 2014

@Asterisk
Is five for 50$ good?

kirbysuperstar97 said on Jan. 15, 2014

Someone living in the area should do pickups for us non-Japan dwelling fans.

KillerSpecialK said on Jan. 18, 2014

@Ghost Im interested in a set! I have no authentic Earthbound swag and have been searching all over for someone selling them!

Kenji said on May. 27, 2014

For those still hunting for a specific figure, you can also find individual straps at Super Potato in Akihabara. Ness and Mr. Saturn are the most expensive with Mr. Saturn being just a little under 1000 yen.