EarthBound Valentines from the 90s
A reader named Eric sent me this the other day:
Yo, great site man. I’m active duty military stationed up in northern Japan. Took some vacation during this past week and spent a few days down south in Tokyo (31DEC-2JAN). Saw you post about the new Mother 2 straps being released so I figured I’d keep my eyes peeled for them. While in Akihabara, I saw the straps at two different locations, figured I’d tip you off just on the off chance anyone else is visiting Tokyo soon and wants to try and snag some. I have a few more pictures that I can email you if you would like, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Location 1: Akihabara Gachapon Kaikan
Place is kinda tucked away on central street in akihabara but still a pretty well known spot. I took a few pictures if you would like to see the store. This place literally had hundreds of different gachapon machines. And they also sell complete sets of most gachapon, the new Mother 2 straps were 2,200 yen (about $20 with current exchange rate).
Location 2: Yodobashi Camera
Really big mall like electronic store, similar to similar to best buy. They had a pretty big gachapon section (6th floor near video games), but not nearly as big is the other location. While up there I asked a clerk about the gachpon machines, showed him this site on my iPhone as a reference. The clerk found it hilarious that I was interested in such an “old” game. He even called a coworker over, and both seemed very surprised that mother 2 had a fan community outside of Japan. He then proceeded to take me to the machine I was looking for.
I ended up blowing 7,000 yen on 35 capsules hoping to get atleast 2 complete sets. The first 30 were purchased at location 1, and the remaining 5 at location 2. This is what I got:
4x Mr. Saturn
2x Master Belch
7x Master Barf
Mission accomplished. I was a little bit puzzled as to why I received so many Master Barf capsules when it is supposedly the rare one, maybe luck? Anyway, great site man!
And here’s the snapshot that was included:
So if you’re in the Tokyo area and want to know where to find some MOTHER 2 capsule machines for sure, these are some good leads! Thanks again, Eric!
Other Related Posts:
17 Comments to Are You Hunting for MOTHER 2 Straps in Japan?
- Isaiah Vinson: I already finished Mother 2 then, Mother 3 and finally Mother 1. And now all I have to do is to wait till Mother 4 released. I...
- Nick97: But will it keep all the funny alt text on the images?! I’m really excited for this, especially if you also get done a Mother 3 book....
- Blue-streaker: What about the mother 3 legends of localization? Is it getting a book too?
- itoi: In some case of coincidence I heard rumours MOTHER 4 will be on Nintendo eShop(3DS or Wii u)?
- UbaNess: Congratulations on the Kickstarter success! Proud to be a backer and can’t wait for the goodies