Weekly Round-Up #6
Many years back, before MOTHER 3 for the GBA was released, I went and translated every screenshot of the Nintendo 64 version that I could find and posted all the information here.
I didn’t realize I missed a line until a reader named Angela recently sent an e-mail to me:
So, in the Earthbound 64 preview trailer, the first line the woman Flints talking to say’s “I have one thing to say to you…” but she continues saying some other stuff. What does she say? I tried translating it myself but the online translators don’t get Japanese grammar >.<
I took a look, and yep, I missed a line:
A rough and basic translation is something like:
I have one thing to say to you…
An upper jaw filled with joy, and a lower jaw filled with sorrow. Life is the gnashing together of these things.
I never came across any text like this in the GBA script, so I guess Itoi forgot about it or decided not to use it. The line has a bit of a double meaning, where to “to chew” or “to bite down” can also sometimes mean “to enjoy” or “to relish” something.
You know, now that I think about it, this line sort of sums up the mix of emotions in the game. That’s probably why it was included in the trailer back then.
Other Related Posts:
8 Comments to A Look at a MOTHER 3 (N64) Line
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...
- Kasumi: Or maybe it’s wordplay. EARTHBOUND FAN-atic rather than Earthbound Fanatic