MOTHER 2 in Apr. 22, 1994 Famitsu
Many years back, before MOTHER 3 for the GBA was released, I went and translated every screenshot of the Nintendo 64 version that I could find and posted all the information here.
I didn’t realize I missed a line until a reader named Angela recently sent an e-mail to me:
So, in the Earthbound 64 preview trailer, the first line the woman Flints talking to say’s “I have one thing to say to you…” but she continues saying some other stuff. What does she say? I tried translating it myself but the online translators don’t get Japanese grammar >.<
I took a look, and yep, I missed a line:
A rough and basic translation is something like:
I have one thing to say to you…
An upper jaw filled with joy, and a lower jaw filled with sorrow. Life is the gnashing together of these things.
I never came across any text like this in the GBA script, so I guess Itoi forgot about it or decided not to use it. The line has a bit of a double meaning, where to “to chew” or “to bite down” can also sometimes mean “to enjoy” or “to relish” something.
You know, now that I think about it, this line sort of sums up the mix of emotions in the game. That’s probably why it was included in the trailer back then.
Other Related Posts:
8 Comments to A Look at a MOTHER 3 (N64) Line
- JM: Hi NichoMania, Thanks for the comment. I took another look at the line and the Japanese is: アメリカ系の人はずっと「『4』が作られつつある」と言ってます が、嘘に決まっているじゃないかと（笑）。...
- NichoMania: Great translation, but something has been bugging me about it… Ever since, I read the last post about Itoi saying people in the...
- Sat: Thanks! I love the anecdote with the university professor.
- Mr. Tenda: This was a great interview, thanks for sharing it. Man, I wish there were more photos of the Mother 2 event, it looks interesting
- Neko Knight: Another great interview from a great man! One thing I would like to say though, has anyone asked him recently about the MOTHER 3 N64...