It’s a Dog and Game: EarthBound
Many years back, before MOTHER 3 for the GBA was released, I went and translated every screenshot of the Nintendo 64 version that I could find and posted all the information here.
I didn’t realize I missed a line until a reader named Angela recently sent an e-mail to me:
So, in the Earthbound 64 preview trailer, the first line the woman Flints talking to say’s “I have one thing to say to you…” but she continues saying some other stuff. What does she say? I tried translating it myself but the online translators don’t get Japanese grammar >.<
I took a look, and yep, I missed a line:
A rough and basic translation is something like:
I have one thing to say to you…
An upper jaw filled with joy, and a lower jaw filled with sorrow. Life is the gnashing together of these things.
I never came across any text like this in the GBA script, so I guess Itoi forgot about it or decided not to use it. The line has a bit of a double meaning, where to “to chew” or “to bite down” can also sometimes mean “to enjoy” or “to relish” something.
You know, now that I think about it, this line sort of sums up the mix of emotions in the game. That’s probably why it was included in the trailer back then.
Other Related Posts:
8 Comments to A Look at a MOTHER 3 (N64) Line
Featured Item on eBay:
MOTHER 2 EarthBound pocket diary cover Onett nintendo Licensed Japan Limited NEW
- eb64: i prefer porky alien capsule
- Anonymous: Something tells me the Ness amiibo well end up like the Marth one and be sold out pretty quickly.
- David: My friends getting me one on the day it comes out here!! (Which is like April something) So I don’t need to get the one from Japan.
- Hey Anon!: Aw darn! I don’t know if I should wait until I go to Japan this summer (I’m gonna try to do some mother merch scouting since...
- Pineapple King: They ask what the audience for this set would be. Obviously kids, adults and young women too!