Some MOTHER 1 and EarthBound Zero Text Differences
Many years back, before MOTHER 3 for the GBA was released, I went and translated every screenshot of the Nintendo 64 version that I could find and posted all the information here.
I didn’t realize I missed a line until a reader named Angela recently sent an e-mail to me:
So, in the Earthbound 64 preview trailer, the first line the woman Flints talking to say’s “I have one thing to say to you…” but she continues saying some other stuff. What does she say? I tried translating it myself but the online translators don’t get Japanese grammar >.<
I took a look, and yep, I missed a line:
A rough and basic translation is something like:
I have one thing to say to you…
An upper jaw filled with joy, and a lower jaw filled with sorrow. Life is the gnashing together of these things.
I never came across any text like this in the GBA script, so I guess Itoi forgot about it or decided not to use it. The line has a bit of a double meaning, where to “to chew” or “to bite down” can also sometimes mean “to enjoy” or “to relish” something.
You know, now that I think about it, this line sort of sums up the mix of emotions in the game. That’s probably why it was included in the trailer back then.
Other Related Posts:
8 Comments to A Look at a MOTHER 3 (N64) Line
- cool_noy_mew: What Opoona said, Opoona is a fantastic Wii game
- yui: I love these cute flowcharts! I’m glad someone did this. I’ve played just about every game on there, it’s super cool to see...
- KingOfSwords: I can’t recommend Undertale highly enough. Or talk much more about it without spoilers. It’s a wonderful game, and...
- Opoona: I’ll toss in a recommendation for Opoona. One of the few RPGs for the Wii. It’s one of the only games whose world sucked me in...
- Jason: Chrono Trigger and the Final Fantasy games are great games, but I can’t think of anything they have in common other than being well...