Saturn Valley Music Box in Action
Many years back, before MOTHER 3 for the GBA was released, I went and translated every screenshot of the Nintendo 64 version that I could find and posted all the information here.
I didn’t realize I missed a line until a reader named Angela recently sent an e-mail to me:
So, in the Earthbound 64 preview trailer, the first line the woman Flints talking to say’s “I have one thing to say to you…” but she continues saying some other stuff. What does she say? I tried translating it myself but the online translators don’t get Japanese grammar >.<
I took a look, and yep, I missed a line:
A rough and basic translation is something like:
I have one thing to say to you…
An upper jaw filled with joy, and a lower jaw filled with sorrow. Life is the gnashing together of these things.
I never came across any text like this in the GBA script, so I guess Itoi forgot about it or decided not to use it. The line has a bit of a double meaning, where to “to chew” or “to bite down” can also sometimes mean “to enjoy” or “to relish” something.
You know, now that I think about it, this line sort of sums up the mix of emotions in the game. That’s probably why it was included in the trailer back then.
Other Related Posts:
8 Comments to A Look at a MOTHER 3 (N64) Line
- BusterTheFox: Woo, Hip Snake! …I can’t help reading H.S. as Hip Snake. It’s a TWEWY thing… anyway! This looks so cool! Even...
- Anonymous: Very excited about this. Have never been able to immerse myself in the original. This game, however, looks very promising.
- An E and two 8: Holy Hack in a Sack! This looks amazing! I checked the thread a few times times before (As a guest) and the old EB Central posts...
- Chris Brough: You know what’d be really awesome? If they actually made a reproduction cart so that you could actually play the game on the...
- game4brains: Wow, it’s been quite a while since anyone’s talked about this! I’m looking forward to its release! Also, about the...