January 21st, 2014 | EarthBound 64, Uncommon Knowledge

Many years back, before MOTHER 3 for the GBA was released, I went and translated every screenshot of the Nintendo 64 version that I could find and posted all the information here.

I didn’t realize I missed a line until a reader named Angela recently sent an e-mail to me:

So, in the Earthbound 64 preview trailer, the first line the woman Flints talking to say’s “I have one thing to say to you…” but she continues saying some other stuff. What does she say? I tried translating it myself but the online translators don’t get Japanese grammar >.<

I took a look, and yep, I missed a line:

A rough and basic translation is something like:

I have one thing to say to you…

An upper jaw filled with joy, and a lower jaw filled with sorrow. Life is the gnashing together of these things.

I never came across any text like this in the GBA script, so I guess Itoi forgot about it or decided not to use it. The line has a bit of a double meaning, where to “to chew” or “to bite down” can also sometimes mean “to enjoy” or “to relish” something.

You know, now that I think about it, this line sort of sums up the mix of emotions in the game. That’s probably why it was included in the trailer back then.

8 Comments to A Look at a MOTHER 3 (N64) Line

Halloween said on Jan. 21, 2014

That is a really cool line.

LucasPSI said on Jan. 21, 2014

I really wish Mother 3 was released on the n64.

As highly unlikely as it is, it would be AMAZING if Itoi eventually remade it for the Wii U! With all the unused scenes, dialogue, story elements, music, characters etc. If that happened I’m sure I would die from happiness!

ejruss25 said on Jan. 22, 2014

I would at least like to see what the original game’s story would be like. From what I’ve heard the game was going to be much more depressing and dark than what it eventually became. And that’s saying something, because MOTHER 3 is already the darkest in the trilogy.

Earthboundians Unite! said on Jan. 22, 2014

@ejruss25 Agreed. I would have loved a much darker overall Mother 3 as the game was dark in some situations, I just never got that feeling of an intense moment except near the very end.

Bionic said on Jan. 22, 2014

I like that they chose to put Mother 3 out on GBA instead of N64…the art direction more in line with Mother 2 is better, I think it have it in this darker tone wouldn’t have suited the overall theme as well.

refat17 said on Jan. 22, 2014

I do like the fact that the light simplistic colours contrast the dark theme in the gba and I do feel it might have been too serious in the n64. The story in general seemed more interesting in the n64 version as it would be more serious meaning it would be more complex.

OtherLurkingBlue said on Jan. 26, 2014

That line is really fantastic. Maybe better than any line in the Mother Series? Tattoo worthy, even.

Mr. Carpainter said on Feb. 8, 2014