December 2nd, 2013 | Images, MOTHER 3

The EarthBound Bash is finally over! I’m still recuperating so I won’t have an update about it until later (and if anyone has screencaps of Day 3, please send ‘em my way!) but I HAVE to share this off-stream photo from Day 2:

marcus-mother-3

That’s right – EarthBound’s localizer is playing MY translation of MOTHER 3!

I’ve said this before elsewhere, but it really feels like things have come full circle 8O

I was gonna say a bunch more but for now I’ll just leave it at that and talk in more detail what this all means to me another time.

For now, awwwww yeah!

28 Comments to Who’s That Playing MOTHER 3?!

2Sang said on Dec. 2, 2013

That’s awesome! I hope he gets to play through the whole thing.

NinjaCheese said on Dec. 2, 2013

That’s so cool! I’m happy for you, Mato!

Prayer For Safety said on Dec. 2, 2013

That’s really awesome to see.

Spade said on Dec. 2, 2013

Very nice and congrats Mato :D!

LakituAl said on Dec. 2, 2013

Congrats, man! And I thought things like this only ever happened in movies…

Hmmm… Mato: The Movie

DJMankiewicz said on Dec. 2, 2013

I want to see him make a web site where he goes over your translation with notes on how he would have done things. THEN it has come full circle!

delectabit said on Dec. 2, 2013

I’m curious, did he share his thoughts on it?

starman0 said on Dec. 2, 2013

Wow that’s really amazing Mato! You should be proud! So what did he think?

FinalStarman64 said on Dec. 2, 2013

Really enjoyed the event! Marcus was so cool! Glad it all worked out excellently and go James!

Zack said on Dec. 2, 2013

Is he using a flash cart?

Ring064 said on Dec. 2, 2013

That’s Awesome!! Did he enjoy it? I really hope he enjoyed it!

another quick question, how is he playing the translation on a DS??? is there a GBA cart that you’ve uploaded with the translation?? or have I just not been keeping up to date?

fourside said on Dec. 2, 2013

That’s pretty awesome. But what about that all-white DS Phat? I didn’t think they made a white one (especially not one with white buttons too)?

DJMankiewicz said on Dec. 2, 2013

Ring064, there are “flash carts” you can buy which allow you to put ROMs on them and play them on the GBA or DS. Obviously, these are not licensed by Nintendo, and there’s no way on Earth Mato would risk selling carts with his own translation on them himself.

Rather, they are useful if you want to play it on the original hardware and eliminate any issue with emulation. You have to obtain one yourself though. I have the EZFlash IV myself, as it came highly recommended. I even “flashed” the firmware on it with a Mother 3 based theme. Keep one thing in mind though, I did this only after securing an imported Japanese copy of Mother 3, so I am not going to advocate anything too fishy here. (Oi! Smallfry! Sorry, been playing Wind Waker HD lately…) The cart works well enough, but it does take a little reading to find out exactly how it operates. The only real issue once you figure it out is that it doesn’t “save” the data in real time (the SD card you plug in is just too slow compared to what the games expect), so instead it will store the saved data in a temporary much-faster battery backed storage until you restart the GBA, at which point it will write that temp data onto the more permanent SD card. In other words, to save, talk to frogs, then restart your GBA.

Mato said on Dec. 2, 2013

delectabit & starman0 & others: This was during the really short mid-stream lunch break, so he only walked around and talked to a few things at the first save frog area, not really enough time to do much. I’ve offered several times to let him borrow that cart though :P

As for the cart itself, it’s indeed a flash cart. They’re useful for testing to make sure my various GBA hacks/translations work on real hardware.

The DS is actually Japanese, I keep forgetting that they didn’t release it in white here. I never upgraded my DS until the 3DS so it’s been the good ol’ Japanese white brick for me for the past 10 years.

edgethelucas said on Dec. 2, 2013

I legally own a Japanese Mother 3 cart and have played the fan translation on the computer this way, but I can’t find an EZ Flash IV anywhere to play it the way it was meant to be played. Where did you get yours DJMankiewicz? Are they out of stock or something?

Ness1985 said on Dec. 2, 2013

I own the official japanese Mother 3 cart & the fan translation on a GBA cart. I love it cause on can play it on my Gameboy Player in all it’s glory :D

That one guy said on Dec. 2, 2013

So did you get to skype with chugga and the VGA guys? I wasn’t there unfortunately, so I wouldn’t know if you did or not. :(

Mr. Tenda said on Dec. 2, 2013

Congrats Tomato! Marcus playing your Mother 3 translation is truly a fantastic moment in Mother history.

Mato said on Dec. 3, 2013

That one guy: chugga fell ill so he wasn’t able to participate (although Team Chugga did do some major donating for the Itoi cart) but I did get to Skype super briefly with VGA. I was pretty star-struck so I didn’t say a whole lot though, heh. They mainly asked more about my offer to Nintendo about Mother 3 and such. It actually made me realize I probably should do another post about that to clarify things/update some info, so I might do that sometime.

Ring064 said on Dec. 3, 2013

Awesome! did not know about flash carts. I guess they don’t let those sort of fishy things get released in Aus. ( though somehow I got a action replay somewhere, go figure)

That would be cool to hear a update about the mother 3 offer, it would probably break my heart to hear bad news though… But don’t let that stop you from posting the news!

Wait, now Im being way to confusing. DONT LISTEN TO ME. Right im typing DONT READ WHAT IM TYPING. XD

Chivi-chivik said on Dec. 3, 2013

Mato, somebody should give you a medal or an award or something because of such good translation. :)
You saved thousands of fans from playing the game in Japanese and not understanding anything. And everybody should thank you for that.

Laurent said on Dec. 3, 2013

There’s something strangely poetic about this. Full circle indeed!

DJMankiewicz said on Dec. 3, 2013

edgethelucas, I believe I purchased this from their own web site about 3 years back. I think their site is http://www.ezflash.cn/ez-flash-iv but I’m sorry, I don’t know if they still sell this version. The IV was the last version they made which fit in a standard GBA game slot, so it was the latest version I could use which would work with a GBA, DS, and Gameboy Player.

segaman2 said on Dec. 3, 2013

Wait, you put your translation on a cartridge?

edgethelucas said on Dec. 3, 2013

DJMankiewicz: oh, ok, because I tried buying one last year on that website but it never materialized. I can’t find any on Ebay or Amazon or anything like that. I guess it isn’t manufactured anymore :(

starman0 said on Dec. 4, 2013

@Mato: Ahhh I see, well I hope he takes you up on that offer! I’d be really interested to see what he thinks about how different Mother 3 is from Mother 1 and EarthBound.

Kumatora with a theory said on Dec. 4, 2013

Just going to go by a hunch here, but I’m thinking this may have something to do with a potential Mother 3 English release.

The main post is cryptic enough to suggest something is going on behind the scenes, and Matos most recent comment said that he was indeed asked about the offer to Nintendo.

Earthbound is one of the best selling games on Wii U :) Maybe Nintendo wants to port over the remaining to games.

skyrunner14 said on Dec. 4, 2013

I think you’re reading too deeply into things…

Marcus doesn’t work with Nintendo anymore, so your theory doesn’t really hold water. That said, all they really did was talk about things. That’s about it. No secrets being withheld. ;)

I do, however, agree with the sentiment that Earthbound’s Wii U success may have at least made Nintendo open to the idea of an official Mother 3 release in English-speaking countries.