December 4th, 2013 | EarthBound, Events

The final day of the EarthBound Bash was a few days ago, and so much happened that I barely remember it all. If I forget anything here, let me know in the comments!

Some of the stuff that happened on the last day included:

Trash burgers! These were actually originally intended to come out of a pinata, but at the last minute we stuck them in an actual nasty trash can. I’m pretty sure I ingested some new types of germs :X

a

Marcus played through the Deep Darkness part of the game, but since the game was broken most of the time he worked on it, he didn’t really know what to do or where to go. But, with the help of me and a strategy guide, he got up to Tenda Village! All the while, I asked him about various localization tidbits, such as the origin of the name “Deep Darkness”, the Master Barf/Master Puke thing, and of course the Casey Bat item, which I personally feel was one of the best localization changes in the game.

We also did some more Skype and phone calls with viewers!

We had a Skype chat with good old Mitch/mSprout, who you might remember as a really old EarthBound.Net/Starmen.Net member and the guy who made all the awesome comics during the MOTHER 3 translation!

I asked Marcus to read one of EarthBound’s reviews from back in the day!

review

We had a Skype chat with game industry icon Aaron Linde!

We also Skyped with Andrew Goldfarb/GARFEP, who was also an old EB.Net/SM.Net member who went on to have a crazy career and is now an editor over at IGN!

We opened up lots of mail from fans!

We auctioned off a ton more stuff for the Speak Your Silence charity!

At one point it turned out that we had raised something like $9000.50 for Speak Your Silence, so a Dragon Ball Z improv skit was thrown together!

We had a Skype chat with the Far From Subtle/Awesome Video Games/Video Games Awesome guys! ROFISH even hijacked their own green screen and put in our own backgrounds, mwahaha!

ffs

I was a little star-struck myself so I didn’t say a whole lot, but the topic of my MOTHER 3 offer did come up. It made me realize I should make an update sometime to clarify some things, so I’ll probably do that sometime in the near future.

An auction goal was met, so we tried to shave ROFISH’s beard off with the cheapest disposable razors we could find. It did not work well.

Phone, an old Starmen.Net member who was always causing trouble in the old days, donated a lot of money and phoned in and chatted with us. After some technical tomfoolery, Reid and I unbanned him live for everyone to see! And viewers got to see the secret inner workings of the Starmen.Net forum!

banning

A Starman DX pinata got smashed:

d

And of course only Marcus could smash the Pokey one… but not before giving it a hug first!

c

The main auction finally took place!

e

The auction took a while, and eventually it was down to Team Chugga, Team Video Games Awesome, and Team Speedgamers!

Meeellla and Laura MW made special figures for the teams and added little accessories each time the bids went higher:

figures

…But then Esther Zinn swooped in at the last second to win the cart for something over $5000 8O

As it was a cutthroat auction, the cart brought in more than $14,000 for James! That’s incredible 8O

Then it was time to wrap things up, so we ran a credits sequence of our own!

credits

It was over!

Or so people thought! We actually had an encore auction immediately afterward to get someone in the gold Starman suit – and the honor went to none other than Ben Bizzle, the guy who started the whole For James charity idea to begin with!

bizzle

But it kept on going! The extra auction didn’t meet the goal needed to get Chewy to read the final battle of the official MOTHER 2 novel, but she instead shared the rest of the story of Jack Andonuts, Jeff’s brother!

noveltalk

Also, the gold Starman suit was auctioned off!

After that I forget what happened, but I know there was other stuff. In fact, I’ve actually forgotten a LOT of what happened on Day 3, so what you see here is only a portion of everything. Like I said last month or so, this wasn’t just any live video game stream, but this was even crazier than I’d imagined!

Totaled up, the EarthBound Bash raised over $23,000 for charity!

total

(The number there is actually inaccurate, the real total should be higher thanks to the post-event donations)

Thanks to everyone who donated and tuned in and participated in some way! It was a blast!

theend

And I hope Reid’s still on enough of an excitement high that he’ll be open to doing an EarthBound Zero one or a MOTHER 3 one sometime :P

22 Comments to The Final Day of the EarthBound Bash, Summarized

Bionic said on Dec. 4, 2013

Hi Mato! It’s Esther! This event was so much fun, and I’m really thankful that you and the Fangamer community put this on.

The main reason I donated was because James’ story really touched my heart. My GF’s brother was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer this year and we’ve spent most of the weekends spending time with him in the hospital. About a month ago, it looked like the cancer was gone and we were all so happy. And then, the night AFTER I won the cartridge, he collapsed at home and it looks like the cancer has spread to his brain. He’s back in the hospital yet again.

So, I’ve spend most of the year just being upset at watching him suffer and feeling like there is nothing I can do to help. I watched the auction and at the last minute, I just busted on in and bid on the cart for James because I HATE CANCER and it felt like giving cancer a punch in the face. And you know how at the end of Earthbound, the game says the player’s name and you feel like you saved Ness & his friends by just wishing them the best, from far away? That was how I felt when you guys put my name up on the bidding screen, it was so meta, lol. It felt like I finally had the chance to help someone else.

So, thank you and Fangamer for putting this whole thing on, and letting me (actually, all of us) feel like heroes for a small moment. I hope James gets better and that my donation helped his family. :)

Chivi-chivik said on Dec. 4, 2013

Well, good you had fun.

Anonymous said on Dec. 4, 2013

That was touching, Bionic :’)

I missed all of the mail openings on each day, so I don’t know if you guys got my postcard D:

NinjaCheese said on Dec. 4, 2013

That was me who just posted, by the way. I really hope the money raised helps Speak your Silence and James!

starman0 said on Dec. 4, 2013

I’m gonna cry Bionic, that’s so sad. You are truly an amazing person, with a great big heart.

And Mato! You and everyone at Fangamer should keep bugging Reid for an EarthBound Zero event, that man really needs to play that game! I was shocked to find out he hadn’t really played it before.

Bionic said on Dec. 4, 2013

Thank you Starman! The same can be said for the whole EB community…it’s amazing that over 23,000 was raised for charity by people all across the country, both near and far. The EB fandom has gotta be one of the best gaming fandoms (I’m a little biased, hahaha.)

HpShout said on Dec. 4, 2013

Esther- From one EB fan to another, you rock. We will keep your gf’s brother in our thoughts.
Also- did I see that you got a tweet from Itoi himself???? WHAT?!

Mato- I hope that door knob I sent in pushes you guys in the direction of a M3 play thru in the future. This BAAAsssh was amazing, you guys really went all out. I can’t wait to see the documentary they are going to put together. I’ll eagerly be awaiting the kickstarter.

Jason said on Dec. 4, 2013

I was able to watch the first day and part of the second day but after that I was busy and wasn’t able to watch. :(

I’m hoping for more events like this in the future. :)

Halloween said on Dec. 4, 2013

I watched the second half of day 3 and it was like a crazy magic cake trip. Your description does a good job of making it sound not so insane! It’s hard to believe how awesome everyone is, and if it happens again it will be quit the feat to top this.

2Sang said on Dec. 4, 2013

It was certainly a baaaaaaaashing good time

KingMike said on Dec. 4, 2013

You asked Marcus to read VGCE’s review?
You mean guy. :D

Well, it could’ve been GamePro’s review (the one that was based entirely on Onett, if the reviewer even finished that part) :P

MagikoopaMaster said on Dec. 4, 2013

I watched all 3 days and it was a great stream! I hope their will be a MOTHER3 one sometime.

Anonymous said on Dec. 4, 2013

Very fun. Thank you for everything.

PKHomerun said on Dec. 4, 2013

Did we ever find out the history of the Porkey/Pokey name choice?

Mato said on Dec. 4, 2013

Bionic: Wow, I had no idea about any of that. That’s really scary and I hope he gets better. I won’t lie, there were a few times during the end of Day 3 where I was getting a bit misty-eyed at how together and enthusiastic everyone was, so thanks for everything!

PKHomerun: Reid actually asked him at one point during Day 3, but he didn’t seem to understand the question. I realized later that it’s probably because I never made an entry about it on my EarthBound/MOTHER 2 comparison site 8O Hopefully when/if he plays MOTHER 3 he’ll encounter it, though.

HpShout: I think a MOTHER 3 one would be amazing – we could have Jeffman come visit, have other team members like Dr. Fedora Skype in or something, and just have a good time. We could even ask this cool guy to come visit and/or do a Skype chat with him! I could do live translation notes, we could dig through the MOTHER 3 handbook, check out EB64 stuff, etc. That’s all just off the top of my head :P We could possibly auction off MOTHER 3-related stuff too.

For an EB0 one we could see if Phil Sandhop would be interested in chatting with us, maybe Roo could visit (maybe we could even play his copy of the game!), we could chat with Demi, auction off MOTHER 1 figures and such, etc.

Bionic said on Dec. 4, 2013

Thanks Mato! :)

I was just thinking– did anyone screencap the starman crabwalking? Hahaha! :D Best part of the bash

Elobo said on Dec. 5, 2013

Esther, you certainly lit the audience on fire. Gobsmacking :). You’ve really done something wonderful. Hat’s off, major kudos.

That goes for everyone who chipped in or even just wished well. Keeping it all positive. I was glad that the EB community, and bleed-in from other communities were really full of positive energy.

I enjoyed the Bash wholesale, great event. Got a bit misty at parts, considering the people I have almost lost and have actually lost to cancer. It’s not an easy thing to deal with, I truly wish everyone the best.

Ring064 said on Dec. 5, 2013

I still haven’t found the time to watch the majority of the last day of the bash :( it sounds pretty busy and awesome just like each day of the bash though!

Quick thing, If you are going to do a Earthbound Zero, make sure you don’t call it a Mother Baaaash!that wouldn’t go down to well XD

starman0 said on Dec. 5, 2013

@Bionic: I wish I did! I was too in shock at what was happening to get one though. It was the stuff nightmares are made of :O

eagle0wl said on Dec. 5, 2013

awesome!

Bionic said on Dec. 5, 2013

@starman0 Yes, it was a tweet from Itoi! I wrote to him in Japanese with extremely poor grammar (I only studied it for a couple of months, lol) that I was his #1 fan and that Mother 2/Earthbound is the best game in the world, and thank you for everything. He wrote back “Thanks a bunch” and RT’d it. About fell off my chair in shock, haha.

Itoi is such a great writer…Earthbound has such deep subtext under the facade of a cutesy children’s game. I haven’t found that kind of meaning in any other video game, ever. And it looks like Lindblom’s translation decisions only made it even better.

Dru, the 13-year old boy said on Dec. 6, 2013

I can’t believed I missed all this! I had my busiest week of school, and I barely had time to do anything other then work…