December 31st, 2013 | EarthBound

ebresized_partyman

2013 is finally coming to a close, and when I look back I’m amazed at some of the EarthBound-related things that happened this year. Obviously, the big one is that MOTHER 2 and EarthBound were released on the Wii U Virtual Consoles, but other things, like the Shigesato Itoi developer diary, the For James charity auction event, the surprise release of new MOTHER 2 merchandise, Nintendo’s new EarthBound advertising, and more helped make this an especially EarthBound-y year!

It makes me wonder what 2014 has in store… Do you think we’ll see MOTHER 1 and/or MOTHER 3 in any way? Any new merchandise? Stuff we can’t even imagine yet? Let’s try to predict the future!

30 Comments to EarthBound, 2013, and 2014

alezicarus said on Dec. 31, 2013

Well at the very least we will probably see Ness return in Smash. Wonder if we will see any new Mother related stages.

E-Claire said on Dec. 31, 2013

I definitely think we’re going to see something related to MOTHER 3. Whether that’ll be awesome for us or not, we’ll have to see. Seeing as EarthBound has been selling pretty well (at least, as well as a Wii U game can sell right now), I think it’s going to be positive.

Vince94 said on Dec. 31, 2013

I have a suspicion that we’ll only see Mother 1 or 3 if they surface on the Japanese VC first, but who knows? I look forward to finding out :D

RedstarDierector said on Dec. 31, 2013

Although it’s near the end of the new year, we cant forget about MOTHER 4!

Earthboundian Folk said on Dec. 31, 2013

Mother 4 is coming out in ’14. I will be celebrating the 2nd anniversary of the day that I discovered Earthbound. :) – 1/2/13

Earthboundian Folk said on Dec. 31, 2013

I mean 1/2/14.

Mr. Tenda said on Dec. 31, 2013

I look forward to another great year of EB Central. What is the “Shigesato Itoi developer diary” you mentioned, by the way?

deshayzilla said on Dec. 31, 2013

I think we need to start a Buy Earthbound campaign where we pledge to buy a copy of Earthbound on every Wii U we come in contact with. We will not stop until Earthbound is on every Wii U!

eme said on Dec. 31, 2013

2014 will be the 25th anniversary of the MOTHER series, so who knows?

snesdude7 said on Dec. 31, 2013

I think that Mother 1 could easily come out to America, Japan and Europe! let’s just hope for the best :D

Earthboundian Folk said on Dec. 31, 2013

And the 20th anniversary of Earthbound’s release!

PK_Gib_es said on Dec. 31, 2013

I’m looking forward to Mother 4!

genesisdoeswhatnintendont said on Dec. 31, 2013

I expect to see a loving mother tribute. The 25th anniversary is fast approaching so they’ll probably release mother on vc (at least in japan). Go for broke and release them all on 3ds eshop! I also expect nintendo to release some games on ios b/c money.

Mariotti said on Dec. 31, 2013

Maybe Nintendo will take another Cash Dive and release Mother 1 and 3?
Also Mother 4. I’m looking forward to that :D

Mesousa said on Dec. 31, 2013

I never heard about this Developer Diary thing…

Tomato Soup said on Dec. 31, 2013

Who knows what next year will be like. Heck, it might even be better than this year.
Bring it on, 2014!
I’m hoping for mother 1 and 3 to be on virtual console, a remake of the series (well at least something for the 25th anniversary and for ness and Lucas to return in smash bros!
Even if most of that won’t happen

Mato said on Dec. 31, 2013

Oh, by Developer Diary, I meant this thing: http://earthboundcentral.com/itoi-miiverse/

It was originally touted as something meant to be a developer diary but wound up being a bunch of random, unrelated thoughts.

Chivi-chivik said on Dec. 31, 2013

I think that we’ll get back to our years in the shadows of bigger franchises. Unless something unexpected happens…

For the moment, I just want MOTHER 4. Since it will be freeware, I’ll enjoy it more than this year.

Chivi-chivik said on Dec. 31, 2013

Oh! And if somebody wonders why I’m thinking of MOTHER 1 and 3… NOPE, I don’t think we’ll see those. MOTHER 1 is still probable tho.

VyseOfLegends9001 said on Dec. 31, 2013

I hope someone will give a full tutorial(with commentary)on how to create an Earthbound Hack. *Looks at Mr. Tenda and H.S.*

BusterTheFox said on Jan. 1, 2014

My future prediction: Something none of us has thought of yet. Not a re-release of 1 or 3, not a compilation of the three games, not HD remakes, not an official Mother 4… Something nobody has thought of yet. Like… And this is just the tip of the iceburg of the kind of thing I’m thinking of… But maybe some kind of spin-off game. Or something completely different. If it’s this series we’re talking about, we have to expect the unexpected!

Lotus_Blue said on Jan. 1, 2014

If it is a Mother 1/3 re-release in Japan, we all know what to do; but there’s always Mother 4 if that doesn’t happen though.

@BusterTheFox: Maybe a Mother movie? Musical? Big concert thingy?

I know I’ve been thinking of something for Mother’s silver anniversary. Might see if anyone’s willing to help once I’ve got it going.

Jason said on Jan. 1, 2014

The last few years have been very good for earthbound, and 2013 has been especially eventful.

The Japanese seem to love anniversaries even more than the western world does, so imo there will absolutely be at least some comments fro Itoi and probably some new merchandise. Mother 1 on the virtual console is definitely within the range of possibilities, but I don’t think Japan will give Mother 3 much attention for the foreseeable future.

tanmac43 said on Jan. 1, 2014

Well we do know Mother 4 is coming this Winter! :D

Name said on Jan. 2, 2014

too bad mother 4 isn’t a real mother game

EarthBoundnerd199X said on Jan. 2, 2014

If they put ANYTHING Mother 1/3 related in SSB4, that would be a large contributor to them possibly selling 1/3 on the VC. Say that Mt. Itoi Peak (which would be REALLY cool) turns out to be a playable stage. People are gonna wanna know more about the prequel to EarthBound since it sold so well on VC, or they might not even have known that this uber-popular game has a prequel. Nintendo knows that this series has a massive fanbase and part of it is due to the SSB series. So I have a feeling if they want to sell Mother 1/3 on VC they’ll use SSB4 as a marketing tool. Personally, I feel like Mother 1 has a far better chance on VC- let’s not forget that they have an entire English script for it.

VixOnAMoonsideTrip said on Jan. 2, 2014

Maybe that Mother 1 novel released in… I dunno… English?
SOmething obscure.
Sell Mr. Saturn plushies in North America, or character plushies and stuff!
…And figures. I want a New Age Retro Hippie on my desk. And a Lucas doll and Claus doll for the sheer sake of “OHMYGOSHHE’SSOTIIINY!” Stuff you DON’T have to import anymore.
PLEASE, Nintendo? PLEASE?! ‘Cause I can’t afford importing stuff…

ben said on Jan. 2, 2014

@EarthBoundnerd199X. Ness haven’t even been confirmed yet, and you think there’s a possibility of a Mother 1 stage? c’mon

joe said on Jan. 4, 2014

FOAMY, KONATA AND NESS TAKE OVER MANKIND.
It’s also the year of Lucky Star now. 10 balsamic years!

Lucas said on Jan. 25, 2014

New MOTHER 2 is suppose to be MOTHER HD Trilogy powered by Havok physics engine like Super Smash Bros. series.