December 16th, 2013 | MOTHER 3

More than anything, I find it fascinating to hear how deeply video games can change, inspire, and move people – EarthBound, for example, has pushed many people onto certain career paths, brought people together who’ve gotten married and started families, inspired people to create inspirational works of their own, and so on.

A few months back, a reader by the name of Travis wrote up an article about how EarthBound had connected to him in a spiritual way. I hadn’t heard about games connecting to people in that way before, so it was an interesting read, and now he’s written one on about MOTHER 3:

8oc0

As strange as it may sound this was a key moment in my life where my love for Earthbound and my relationship with God intersected in a way that continues to shape my faith today. Please read my article “Longing for More” on my Heavenbound site to get the full story of the summary I just described. Feel free to contact me through my site and share with me how this game has intersected with important areas of your life.

Link to article

Religion is always a really touchy topic to bring up in anything online – discussions usually quickly devolve into bickering and arguing and insulting. Personally, I just find it amazing that games can hold such a deep meaning to people; I used to think that video games were just fun things to pass the time, but at some point they became much more than that!

12 Comments to Connecting Faith and MOTHER 3

edgethelucas said on Dec. 16, 2013

Oh man, what a delightful story. It’s so great seeing a video game bring people together like this. I hope this is happening to people all around the world and it’s not just exclusive to games like the Mother series.

Moonside said on Dec. 16, 2013

^
Exactly. I think on of the reasons that my ex and I were able to be friends with each other (after cheating on me) was because of Earthbound. We played it before all of that happened.

There’s something about EarthBound that does this more than any other game. Maybe its the shared experience and the connection you make while playing it. Its quite amazing!

JesusLovesNess said on Dec. 16, 2013

Thanks again Tomato for posting about my articles concerning faith and video games. I hope everyone enjoys reading this one…

Bionic said on Dec. 16, 2013

If anything, I think what makes EB great is that it shows that the faith you have in friends and loved ones, even kind and random strangers is greater than any God.

Nicho said on Dec. 16, 2013

I don’t know about greater than God, but I feel Earthbound, and heck, the Mother series in general has the most accurate depiction of faith, religion, and spirituality in game that I have ever seen. Even in the final battle it involves religion, and has praying be the final blow to Giygas. You’d never see something like that in games today, sadly, or atleast not in the same quality.

Bionic said on Dec. 16, 2013

I agree, I think the complexity of Giygas being essentially just loneliness, despair, and lack of faith in anything as the villain is part of what makes EB so interesting and meaningful.

My point was, when Paula “prays” it doesn’t say “God answered the chosen four’s prayers.” The person who answers the prayers is you, a stranger whom they don’t even know, just wishing them the best from far away. I think what that’s basically what the game is saying is don’t give up hope…even people you might not think would care about you do care, quite a lot.

Chivi-chivik said on Dec. 16, 2013

The MOTHER series is Idealism done right.
(An idealist story is basically a story which trusts in the power of friendship and love to solve stuff.)
Idealism can be done bad or be clichéd, but the MOTHER series does it in a way that charms everybody. In a way that is surprising and hard to surpass.

I’m agnostic, but seeing people this happy and united around this series makes me love it more! :D

2Sang said on Dec. 16, 2013

Whatever makes him happy happy. I think this is taking the game to another level, but hey it’s his life. I hope he finds happiness and it’s better than painting the town and cows blue.

Bionic said on Dec. 17, 2013

Lol!!!! Agreed. :)

Chivi-chivik said on Dec. 17, 2013

@2Sang I completely agree with you! :)

Mother2fan said on Jan. 19, 2014

The game touched me in a way that nothing else ever has. It truly is something special. It’s amazing that a game can be so life changing.

EB fan said on Mar. 22, 2014

The game really relates with me because of bully problems I have just how Ness gets bullied and overcame it that inspired me to do so as well and while putting an end to it I helped 6 others as well. It also has helped spiritually as well to believe and have hope in your friends. Earthbound really helped my life.

Find Merchandise!