November 23rd, 2013 | Rumors, Smash Bros.

Over the past few weeks I’ve gotten a lot of e-mails and messages about a couple of images that are supposedly leaked screenshots of Ness in the upcoming Smash Bros. game. They seem pretty iffy to me so I never really posted anything about them before, but I thought it might at least be entertaining to share them after all:

yf1HXBg VgskHAc

And here’s a video a couple people have sent me, which takes a detailed look at the above images:

I don’t follow Smash Bros. stuff very closely, so maybe it’s been proven without a doubt that these are real or fake by now. If so, let me know in the comments!

60 Comments to Ness in Super Smash Bros. 4 Rumors

doclight said on Nov. 23, 2013

I am 99% sure Pik made that fake image. I mean, think about it. He’s with Project M, right? He’s skilled with working with models and he’s a great artist to boot.

At least, that’s my theory.

Anonymous said on Nov. 23, 2013

Ness doesn’t have a shadow in the 3DS pic

Ness1985 said on Nov. 23, 2013

IDC if these are fake, please be in the new smash!!

Pep said on Nov. 23, 2013

It was found to be fake but I thought it was pretty cute! I wouldn’t mind if Ness looked more like that in SSB4.

Tony said on Nov. 23, 2013

Well, it sounds really fake but nevertheless we all know Ness is one of the main figures of every Smash Bros. Game, since the N64 to the Wii so I still strongly believe he will be on SSBB4

skyrunner14 said on Nov. 23, 2013

I know the first pic is fake, but I’ve never seen that second one! It looks pretty convincing, but Ness doesn’t have a shadow in the pic, so… eh…

Still, I have no doubts he’ll be in the new game(s). I mean, c’mon, he’s been in every single Smash since the first, not to mention Earthbound’s release on the VC. It’s not a matter of if, but when they’ll announce him.

2Sang said on Nov. 23, 2013

It’s fake, but looks really real. I’m hoping they add a third earthbound character this time around, or at least keep lucas.
I’d also like Giygas to be a boss.

LucasPSI said on Nov. 23, 2013

It’s fake someone on tumblr put up a link to the artist. He also made fake scans of Lucina (A fire emblem character) and people thought those were real too. I’ll try to find the link

Douche McCallister said on Nov. 23, 2013

Faaaaake.
But Ness is one of the original 12. He’ll be in the next game for sure.

Pengo said on Nov. 23, 2013

Jigglypuff looks kinda like in Brawl form and the Ness art looks pretty cool also, Ness was almost replaced by Lucas in Melee but, they kept him.Ness is my main in the whole series so he better be in the game.

Anonymous said on Nov. 23, 2013

Actually, if you look closely enough in the 2nd picture, the area beneath Ness is darker than in the other parts of the ground. So it could be a shadow, though I’m still doubtful that the image is real.

Earth Saturn said on Nov. 23, 2013

Doesn’t matter if they’re fake. Ness is going to be in the game anyway.

MagikoopaMaster said on Nov. 23, 2013

I think it’s fake. But that’s a pretty good fake ness!

misterdigi35 said on Nov. 23, 2013

Even though he’s been in every game, it does not guarantee he will return for the fourth outing. Nintendo keeps confirming other characters, “oh this character’s coming back, oh this one’s coming back.” but they have sneakily avoided saying thus far whether or not Ness is coming back. Nintendo doesn’t have to put him in. It’s torture waiting to find out if they are or not. Just torture.

GrapeEscape said on Nov. 23, 2013

It’s actually fairly possible that Ness might get replaced. By who, you ask? Ninten, of course. Sakurai has already considered replacing him in the past, despite the fact that he was part of the original 12. In Melee, it was initially planned for Ness to be replaced by Lucas, but due to delays for the release of Mother 3, they kept him in. Ness and Ninten are so similar in appearance and playstyle that it’s highly possible that he might not be making a return in order to bring in another character to represent the EarthBound series.

Anonymous said on Nov. 23, 2013

GrapeEscape: I doubt we are getting anymore Earthbound or Mother characters. Ness & Lucas were both in Brawl. I highly doubt any 64 or Melee vets are getting cut.

Dr.Starky said on Nov. 23, 2013

I can’t believe how paranoid fans are getting whether series mainstays are getting in the game or not.

JamesBond007 said on Nov. 23, 2013

Looks promising.

Jeff said on Nov. 23, 2013

Ninten and Ness are pretty much the same character only Ness has seniority and is much more recognizable, so Ninten replacing him will never happen.

Chivi-chivik said on Nov. 23, 2013

Even if they’re fake, in the left image Ness looks awesome and so cute ~>w<~

I want both him and Lucas in the next SSB, otherwise I won't like this game (but I'll buy it anyway)

Pill Dickles said on Nov. 24, 2013

Why would someone go through this kind of effort when there is already a 90% chance that he will be in the game?

Sunnymoon said on Nov. 24, 2013

This looks VERY legit, I admit. It’s hard to think it has been Photoshoped, and of course, it’s kind of obvious that Ness will be in the game, I’m not saying the contrary. But, except if it was REALLY leaked by error on the website and was immediately removed after it was set, those images are not confirmed to be official. In fact, if it was really on the japanese version of the official site of SSB, then Ness should be here in the first place. Also, why did the URL is hidden? Really, it’s completely sure that Ness will be in the game, but thoses images can’t be proved official until it’s confirmed.

Sunnymoon said on Nov. 24, 2013

…But it’s still very very well done if it wasn’t official.

The guy said on Nov. 24, 2013

Even if this is fake, I still think there would be a very high chance that Ness will still be in the game. Why would they take him out if he was one of the original veterans? Another thing, which I’m surprised no one mentioned yet, is that they rereleased Earthbound on the Wii U VC so most likely they wouldn’t replace Ness. Although, I wonder if they will make Ness exclusive to wii u and make lucas an exclusive character for the 3ds version.

Chivi-chivik said on Nov. 24, 2013

@The Guy
Oh my god I hope they don’t do that… I can’t get two games… >_<

KingOfSwords said on Nov. 24, 2013

Relax. It’s been confirmed that the two games have the same character roster.

Justin said on Nov. 24, 2013

Why bother with fakes? I’m sure Ness is in the game.

Mac said on Nov. 25, 2013

Yea I’m sure ness will be in the game. As well as earthbound did on the wii u people will expect to see ness on ssb. If he isn’t on there they need to be fired. It wouldn’t surprise me either if they had more earthbound themed trophies or extra stuff.

Ring064 said on Nov. 25, 2013

with the release of earthbound on the store, don’t you think they would include ness? it would boost sales of earthbound, giving more dollars.

Plus why wouldn’t they put ness into a ssb game???? he’s been in the other ones, why wouldn’t he be in this one???? I can see the doubt we have with not seeing Lucas again, and trust me I LOOVE LUCAS. If he’s not there, it will make me really really sad and I will make sure Nintendo makes DLC with Lucas.

Nicho said on Nov. 25, 2013

With the success of Earthbound on the VC, doesn’t it seem like it may be time for other Earthbound characters to appear? Jeff is out since he’s an assist trophy. Paula could be added to further widen the age of the female listing. and Poo……..Poo is confirmed for all fighting games.

AnAverageJoe said on Nov. 25, 2013

I haven’t even finished Brawl yet (yeah I know, I only began playing it a little over a year ago, wtf is wrong with me?), and already people are gearing up for the new Smash Bros games.

In any case, I hope Ness is in them.

Anonymous said on Nov. 25, 2013

Waaaait a minute… Both of the Nesses in the 2 images have red collars.

otherhand said on Nov. 26, 2013

I actually think this is a pretty nice redesign! Shame about it being likely fake, though.

Pally said on Nov. 27, 2013

Oh man, if thats real, and Ness has a red collar…that means im going to need to get a new shirt for my cosplay.

Anonymous said on Nov. 28, 2013

Ness’s American clay model has a red collar, so I can guess the artist depicted Ness with a red collar.

Nicho said on Nov. 30, 2013

The art style of both versions of smash seem to give the perfect vision of what a 3D earthbound remake would look like on a modern console (the wii U smash design scheme) and a portable (the 3Ds design scheme). Am I the only one who thinks this?

Juan Carlos said on Nov. 30, 2013

Ness is obviously going to be in the next Super Smash Bros. They put him in Melee and Brawl when his game was pretty outdated, and now that Earthbound was brought back to life on the Wii U, I doubt that they will leave the franchise behind.

? said on Dec. 1, 2013

I’m pretty sure Ness will be in the next game. I’m pretty sure the picture on the right though is fake. Jigglypuff hasn’t been in a recent game. A new character will probably be released this week since the website releases new characters early in a month.

Tacocat said on Dec. 1, 2013

I have no doubts that Ness will be in the next installment of SSB.

Kris Campbell said on Dec. 2, 2013

Anyone notice the logo difference? Just an assumption but looking at this (http://www.smashbros.com/wii/jp/characters/hidden01.html) and this (http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131025003338/sonicfanchara/images/a/a8/Ness_SSB4_leak.png) you can see the logo difference.

It’s inevitable that he’s going to be in the game, but this image has left me with doubts.

GrapeEscape said on Dec. 5, 2013

@? Jigglypuff is a veteran and has been in every single Super Smash Bros. game since the original, so I don’t know what you’re talking about.

joe said on Dec. 9, 2013

im sure this is fake, but im sure that the official announcement will come.

joe said on Dec. 9, 2013

im also sure that this may be true. look back to when sonic lost world was barely announced, there were rumors of alien villains, THEN THEY WERE OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED AS THE MAIN VILLAINS. that is a different game altogether, but still. this has a chance of being true.

Theo said on Dec. 10, 2013

I think it’s not fake!

Theo said on Dec. 10, 2013

I don’t think it’s fake!

Alex said on Dec. 11, 2013

Well, all the veterans from the first game usually return to every smash game. I think it’s a safe assumption that Ness will be returning. Also, let’s hope the Masked Man makes it in and get some support for Mother 3DS :)

Jorge Primera said on Dec. 12, 2013

Puede ser, pero sería mejor si llegara con un rediseño, más o menos como lo dibujaría Yoshiyuki Sadamoto. Aún mejor, ¡que aparezcan también Paula, Jeff y Poo como jugables!

ejruss25 said on Dec. 13, 2013

if ness isnt in ssb4 i will SO mildly perturbed

ZeroSquared said on Dec. 18, 2013

In the screenshot, Ness’s shoe is missing the white, and his shadow is gone. But the artwork looks convincing.

ForHyrule said on Dec. 22, 2013

The first pic of Ness (his official artwork) is a lot more convincing than the screen of Jigglypuff and Ness together. But that one is very well done as well.

neonix said on Dec. 23, 2013

Fake or not, I wouldn’t mind if Ness looked more like that in the new game. The brighter colors and the whole design is more fitting for him.

No one should doubt that Ness will certainly return in SSB4. He’s a staple character, and aside from Lucas, has no clones.

Fans should actually be much more worried that Lucas will be nixed from the new game. :p

VixOnAMoonsideTrip said on Jan. 2, 2014

It’s more a matter of HOW to unlock Ness this time…
And no, I think Lucas was popular enough that he’ll stick around. He is with my friends, at least… Yet none of them know anything about Mother/EarthBound.

SuperGamingbro64 said on Feb. 15, 2014

Did anyone notice jigglypuff and how it hasn’t been confirmed either. The shadow that isn’t under Ness could just be a glitch nintendo is still working out, as of that picture being leaked. None the less it is still very likely Ness will return since he has been in ssb games since the N64 days. It’s even more likely since Earthbound has been released on vc.

IMMCTNTJK said on Feb. 17, 2014

I actually think that the picture is real because it looks real. We will just have to see if it is when ness is confirmed.

Da man said on Feb. 20, 2014

The pic are fake, and Ness is 99.9% percent guaranteed to be in the game (the other .1% going towards the fact that there is always a chance for a curve ball from Sakurai). Nearly every character, weather a newcomer or not, that has been put in the game so far as been to promote a new release/remake/re-release in thier respective series. Since Earthbound has been re-released on the VC, his inclusion makes that much more sence.

On the topic of Lucas I belive he will be in the game simply due to the amount of veterans from Brawl making a return in the new Smash. As for another new representative, only time will tell.

game4brains said on Mar. 13, 2014

Even though those pictures are fake, we’re all praying dearly that Ness will return for Super Smash Brothers IV. Personally, I like playing as Ness, and enjoy the various moves he has to offer (despite not being able to learn at least 20-50% of them).

If he DOES return, I hope he becomes a much better character than in previous Smash Bros. games, specifically with his abysmal recovery via PK Thunder β. Ness is fun and all, but I wish he could finally earn his place in the higher tiers and NOT suck as a fighter.

Coolguy said on Mar. 22, 2014

Look real or fake ness is all ways going to be in smash bros games

PSIawesome_37 said on Mar. 26, 2014

its seems legit to me i mean look closely at thefirst pic. ness seems to be real…..

OK CAN SOMEONE ASK THE ARTIST IF IT’S REAL OR NOT…..
PROBLEM SOLVE!!!!

Valerie said on Mar. 26, 2014

@PSIawesome_37 Why would they answer honestly if it wasn’t?

clusa said on Apr. 8, 2014

just watched smash bros live stream- no ness confirmed. They somehow thought people would be happier that greninja was added than the fact that ness has returned (if he does). Earthbound was just re-released, too. :(