Itoi’s Message on MOTHER 2 Revival Site
Popular Posts:None found
November 5th, 2013 | EarthBound
Gabriel sent me this e-mail a while back:
Hey mato, I don’t know if this really counts as a reference.
There’s an enemy on Dragon Quest X called “Giigu Hammer”
Could just be a weird way to spell “Giga Hammer”, but I believe the word “ギーグ” is unusual, weird and I think most japanese players will innevitably think about Gyiyg when reading that name. I wonder how they will translate the name when/if it gets localized.
Wow, that’s pretty interesting!
As far as I know, based on some Itoi interviews on the topic, ギーグ (transcribed as “giigu”, pronounced something like “geeg”, later translated as Giegue and Giygas) was mostly a nonsense word that Itoi invented for his games. A Google search turns up pretty much MOTHER-related stuff only for it too, so it doesn’t seem to have any major, alternative meanings or sources.
So given how unusual of a word it is you might be able to say this Dragon Quest X ギーグ a reference. But for some reason my gut says it’s just a separate instance of someone coming up with a weird word that happens to be the same – or, more likely, it was someone just messing around with the word “Gigas” and making a variation of it.
But as I don’t really know the context or relevant info of this enemy, I could very well be wrong and it really could be a reference.
If anyone has more information or thoughts on this, please let me know in the comments!
Other Related Posts:
6 Comments to A Giygas Reference in Dragon Quest X?
- DJ: From what I’ve gathered I’m pretty sure he still writes copy, so they’re an ad company.
- cosmodos: What does his company even do? Is it actually lucrative? From what I can gather (not knowing Japanese), it’s just his blog, and he...
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.