Eight Melodies Music Box
November 5th, 2013 | EarthBound
Gabriel sent me this e-mail a while back:
Hey mato, I don’t know if this really counts as a reference.
There’s an enemy on Dragon Quest X called “Giigu Hammer”
Could just be a weird way to spell “Giga Hammer”, but I believe the word “ギーグ” is unusual, weird and I think most japanese players will innevitably think about Gyiyg when reading that name. I wonder how they will translate the name when/if it gets localized.
Wow, that’s pretty interesting!
As far as I know, based on some Itoi interviews on the topic, ギーグ (transcribed as “giigu”, pronounced something like “geeg”, later translated as Giegue and Giygas) was mostly a nonsense word that Itoi invented for his games. A Google search turns up pretty much MOTHER-related stuff only for it too, so it doesn’t seem to have any major, alternative meanings or sources.
So given how unusual of a word it is you might be able to say this Dragon Quest X ギーグ a reference. But for some reason my gut says it’s just a separate instance of someone coming up with a weird word that happens to be the same – or, more likely, it was someone just messing around with the word “Gigas” and making a variation of it.
But as I don’t really know the context or relevant info of this enemy, I could very well be wrong and it really could be a reference.
If anyone has more information or thoughts on this, please let me know in the comments!
Other Related Posts:
6 Comments to A Giygas Reference in Dragon Quest X?
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...
- Kasumi: Or maybe it’s wordplay. EARTHBOUND FAN-atic rather than Earthbound Fanatic