November 5th, 2013 | EarthBound

Gabriel sent me this e-mail a while back:

Hey mato, I don’t know if this really counts as a reference.
There’s an enemy on Dragon Quest X called “Giigu Hammer”

Could just be a weird way to spell “Giga Hammer”, but I believe the word “ギーグ” is unusual, weird and I think most japanese players will innevitably think about Gyiyg when reading that name. I wonder how they will translate the name when/if it gets localized.

cheers!

Wow, that’s pretty interesting!

As far as I know, based on some Itoi interviews on the topic, ギーグ (transcribed as “giigu”, pronounced something like “geeg”, later translated as Giegue and Giygas) was mostly a nonsense word that Itoi invented for his games. A Google search turns up pretty much MOTHER-related stuff only for it too, so it doesn’t seem to have any major, alternative meanings or sources.

So given how unusual of a word it is you might be able to say this Dragon Quest X ギーグ a reference. But for some reason my gut says it’s just a separate instance of someone coming up with a weird word that happens to be the same – or, more likely, it was someone just messing around with the word “Gigas” and making a variation of it.

But as I don’t really know the context or relevant info of this enemy, I could very well be wrong and it really could be a reference.

If anyone has more information or thoughts on this, please let me know in the comments!

6 Comments to A Giygas Reference in Dragon Quest X?

StevenXC said on Nov. 5, 2013

Reminds me much more of the Ogan from Chrono Trigger. http://chrono.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Chrono_Trigger_enemies

Esper said on Nov. 5, 2013

^Yes, Akira Toriyama likes his fat demons.

But yeah, Mato, you’re probably right about it not being a reference. I think if it was supposed to be a reference then there’d be at least one other similarity, like in appearance or description.

Saturn said on Nov. 5, 2013

I majored in music in college, and I know that a Gigue is a dance from the Baroque era. As a MOTHER series fan also, I always want to find some connection between that and Giygas. Especially since music is such a big part of the series. It’s probably just wishful thinking though.

Chivi-chivik said on Nov. 6, 2013

^@Saturn Hey, maybe there’s a connection and we just don’t know about it! 😀

NecrosaroIII said on Nov. 6, 2013

I don’t think it’s a reference, personally. That enemy is a random enemy for one thing. You fight it in high level areas in the Ogre country.

The Apple Kid said on Nov. 6, 2013

The Mother series has a lot of similarities with random things. If it is a reference, it’s a rather loose one, at best.