Mother 1+2 Dosei San no Hon Picture Book with Dosei San Plush Japan USED

October 25th, 2013 | Audio Stuff, MOTHER 3

A few months back gbev sent me an e-mail about a musical connection in MOTHER 3:

Mother 3 clearly has a lot of recurring themes and similarities in its soundtrack, but I think I just picked up on a new one! Or at least, a new one to me. I did have to change the tempo a bit, but they were already in the same key.
Check it out:

For reference, the audio file above is the Porky Bot song and the Mr. Batty song layered on top of each other.

When I first played MOTHER 3 and got to the Porky Bot fight I really enjoyed the music. And although it sounded familiar, I couldn’t place where else I’d heard it before. A while later I realized it was from the Mr. Batty theme, a song you hear mostly only at the very beginning of the game.

I’m sure a lot of fans have already figured this out by now, but in case you haven’t, now you know!

20 Comments to The Porky Bot and Mr. Batty Connection

Aspirety said on Oct. 25, 2013

Knowledge!

Eiyeron said on Oct. 25, 2013

I love chiptune and Mr Batty theme, Porky’s Porkies is defitely the best chiptune in the game :3

JimJam707 said on Oct. 25, 2013

My mind just exploded

Brendan Burke said on Oct. 25, 2013

We already knew this five years ago…

ToastBirds said on Oct. 25, 2013

There’s a ton of this stuff in MOTHER 3.

The song Ragtime Osohe in the room with the ghosts from Chapter 2 is almost exactly the same as Monkey’s Delivery Service.

The song A Master, A Father, A Thief after Wess follows you back to the castle is based off of the pigmask theme.

The song Beachcombing at the beach west of Tazmily after the timeskip is a combination of Summers’s theme from EarthBound/MOTHER 2 and Homely Yado Inn.

Samba de Cambo/Combo from the DCMC concert in Chapter 8 is very similar to Monkey’s Delivery Service, if you listen to the whole song.

There’s so much other stuff that I couldn’t possibly list it all.

gBev said on Oct. 25, 2013

@ToastBirds I never noticed that about Ragtime Osohe and Monkey’s Delivery Service, huh.

There’s obviously a whole bunch of these things, but this one just suddenly struck me on my last playthrough, especially considering it’s in the same key. My apologies if it’s already well known.

KingOfSwords said on Oct. 25, 2013

There are a loooooooot of recurring themes in MOTHER 3’s music. Off the top of my head:

* MOTHER 3 Love Theme and the Pigmask theme are the most obvious. They are all over the place.
* Hinawa also has a lot of other themes that pop up.
* Homely Yado Inn is also heard on Cerulean Beach and in Kumatora’s room in Club Titiboo.
* Gentle Rain is closely related to Mind of a Thief, as well as…
* …Yado Hotel, which itself also appears in the movie theater in New Pork City.
* The piano-playing ghost is playing a version of Monkey’s Delivery Service, which also appears, of all places, in Porky’s battle theme.
* The jukebox in the cafe plays Monkey’s Delivery Service (Fairies) and Gentle Rain (White). The other songs seem to be originals, although I might be wrong.
* A fairly substantial number of the battle songs have alternate, harder versions, but you probably already knew that.
* What you may not already know, though, is that the second part of Astonishing March is also part of Something Strange is Going On.
* Troublesome Guys is also contained in Dangerous Guys, Forest of Flames, and probably some other things to do with fire too.
* Volcano! Inferno! has a part that is actually A Railway in Our Village? slowed down. Must be something about that punctuation.
* An alternate Fight Against Mecha-Drago plays near the end of Chapter 3.

And I’m almost certainly still forgetting some.

Chivi-chivik said on Oct. 25, 2013

@KingOfSwords
You didn’t need to mention that of the harder versions of songs, you know that’s part of the battle mechanics XD

Jungyin said on Oct. 25, 2013

One think that might not be known except for long time fans is that Monkey’s Delivery Service and the various themes that resemble it are actually based on a theme that was going to be used as a Tasmily village theme in the N64 version.

I think there was even an MP3 of it on Starmen.net before.

Jdaster64 said on Oct. 25, 2013

This was always the interesting thing about MOTHER 3’s soundtrack compared to the other two; it felt quite a bit more like a movie soundtrack or something due to the large number of recurring themes (not counting the battle remixes). Comparatively few background tracks ever borrowed much from each other in MOTHER 1 + 2.

a reasonable guy said on Oct. 25, 2013

@KingOfSwords I want to think the Mecha-Drago theme is a remix of Tragic Reconstruction, but I’m not confident. Maybe I’m thinking of the Barren Factory theme?

SuperTrainStationH said on Oct. 26, 2013

Yeah I’m shocked to learn that anyone couldnt recognize this instantly.

Good fun for those who haven’t though.

KingOfSwords said on Oct. 27, 2013

@a reasonable guy

Fight Against Mecha-Drago definitely isn’t a remix of Tragic Reconstruction, but Barren Factory is…and so is BzZzT! Even In My Dreams! Does this mean that Salsa is a Chimera? Is the barren factory actually only a dream of Lucas and co.? Wild theories are fun.

ToastBirds said on Oct. 27, 2013

It looks like Tragic Reconstruction has a bit of relation to Monkey’s Delivery Service.

What song ISN’T related to it?

Listen to the similar parts next to each other.

Slab Lab said on Oct. 27, 2013

This sounds so freakin cool

KingOfSwords said on Oct. 27, 2013

…and Resolve (Gum Guy’s Recommend.) has a guitar solo about two minutes in which somewhat resembles part of Monkey’s Delivery Service. It’s a bit more of a stretch, though.

Esper said on Oct. 29, 2013

Wow… I usually pride myself in my ability to recognize musical allusions and whatnot. But this one whiffed right past me!

I’ll chalk it up to Itoi being a genius in his ability to hide things in plain sight. Oh and that I’m an idiot.

Ness and Sonic said on Nov. 4, 2013

Not surprised too much. I mean, a number of songs in Mother 3 sound similar to others and there are a few classics that return. Any clue what the chiptune part of Cease to Exist comes from? My cousin thinks he’s heard it in one of the Classic NES Zelda games on Game Boy Advance.

KingOfSwords said on Mar. 1, 2014

I found a few more!

* Somewhere, Someday is a remix of Murasaki Forest.
* To Sunshine Forest! is also a remix of Murasaki Forest, but also includes the intro of Fairies, as well as part of Astonishing March, which is also used in Something Strange Is Going On. Whew!
* The Osohe Castle theme is another theme that recurs a lot, such as in the Chimera Lab and one of the floors of the Empire Porky Building.
* There’s a recurring Magypsy theme, too. You knew that already, didn’t you?
* Resolve (Gum Guy’s Recommend.) is the best song.

game4brains said on Mar. 7, 2014

Nananananananananananananananananananananananana POR-KY!!!

Well, SOMEONE had to make the joke!