The Completionist: EarthBound
A couple days ago, EarthBound-hacking expert H.S made a post on Starmen.Net about a graphical glitch I never noticed before – apparently the high-level PSI Thunder animations have a little goof!
For reference, here’s a screenshot of it being used:
It seems fine, but H.S points out:
Well, in one of the frames of the Thunder Gamma/Omega animation, a rectangle erroneously appears at the bottom of the screen. It’s partially blocked by the character boxes, so it can be harder to see when you have more characters in your party. You most likely won’t get to use this PSI until you have 4 characters, so that might be why most players don’t notice it. Also, because Thunder just isn’t used much.
So here’s a picture with just one party member using PSI Thunder:
Yep, there’s definitely a weird rectangle there!
I guess I just never noticed it before because I thought it was meant to be there. Now I’m never gonna unsee it 😯
Actually, that reminds me of way back around the time the game had been released, I got some of the earlier PSI Thunder animations to look really glitchy. It was on an actual cartridge, before SNES emulators were really even around. I wish I knew what was up with it, I got it to happen a few times during that playthrough but have never seen it since…
Other Related Posts:
9 Comments to PSI Thunder Animation Glitch
- Sat: 2000$ is almost what I’d pay for that jacket, gosh. Are those EB64 screenshots in full res ? Is there more to see? Even if we’ve...
- Fred bounder: You missed the pk album from fangamer!!
- KingOfSwords: For those who don’t know, the Lasagna Cat video is a reference to “Colin’s Bear Animation”:...
- neonix: Dang, somehow I didn’t catch wind of that ruler auction. I would have been in the bidding for it. Oh well, guess I’ll keep...
- Leeaux: And I just posted wondering where you went! Great stuff.