Random Post:

MOTHER MIDI Animation

October 23rd, 2013 | MOTHER 3

Brian sent this in the other day about the latest Pokemon games:

Hi, Tomato. First of all, just wanted to thank you for all the work you’ve done in both the translation/localization scene and the Mother fandom.

So here’s the thing; I’ve just started Pokemon X, and I wanted to set my trainer message to something that would reflect my love of the Mother series. Fuzzy Pickles is my usual choice, but I’m a bit more partial to Mother 3 nowadays, so I wanted something that would show my love for it.

I’m not sure if you’re aware of this, but “Tonda Gossa” is flagged as inappropriate language, and the game won’t allow you to enter it as a greeting. “Tonda” or “Gossa” are fine on their own, but not together.

It’s not just Pokemon X, either. I’ve tried to set this as my status message only to receive the same error. Oddly enough, it works for Streetpass.

Strange, huh?

I’m really not sure why this phrase wouldn’t be allowed – it’s not a bad word and to the best of my knowledge it seems to be a phrase Shigesato Itoi coined for MOTHER 3.

tonda-gossa

My computer programmy instincts make me wonder if it’s just a false hit via some sort of hash table, but it seems strange to use a hash table for unallowed words, so I dunno. Is anyone else having this problem? I don’t own a copy of the games so I can’t try it out for myself.

38 Comments to Pokemon and Tonda Gossa

Alex Foffano said on Oct. 23, 2013

I can’t use the name Shiitake. D:

BluePSI said on Oct. 23, 2013

The censoring in X/Y is really weird.
The only thing I can think of that might be slighting offensive is the “ssa” part.

pk_stan said on Oct. 23, 2013

I tried to enter “Ogenki desu ka?” for my greeting in Pokemon Y and and it came up as inappropriate language. So I’m sure it’s just some wonky programming.

DarkHamsterlord said on Oct. 23, 2013

Dago is an ethnic slur aimed at Italians. Tonda and Gossa are fine individually, but Tonda Gossa gets flagged as “Dago with a space in the middle to avoid the filter”

lordmanimani said on Oct. 23, 2013

Nice to know I wasn’t the only one who could’t set this as my shout out :(

Saffa said on Oct. 23, 2013

It’s happened to me a couple times in Animal Crossing, actually.

Gooptek said on Oct. 23, 2013

Maybe try “Gossa Tonda”? It’s not exactly the same, but it’s what you can do…

Gooptek said on Oct. 23, 2013

Also, I think that the “su” and the “ka” in the “Ogenki desu ka?” suffer of the same problem: The game things it’s “suka” separated (“Suka” as in “sucker”). I’m not sure, though.

Megamegaman247 said on Oct. 23, 2013

I can’t put in my name (which is Conner), so it’s a bit strange on what you can and can’t name in any Nintendo game.

anon said on Oct. 23, 2013

It happens in Animal Crossing New Leaf too! I can’t set it for villagers greetings!!

The censorship thing in videogames are always bs.

JamesBond007 said on Oct. 23, 2013

“suka” means “bitch” in Polish.

anon said on Oct. 23, 2013

Also the censorship in Pokemon stops people from trading things like Probopass, becuase it has ass in it…that’s why I called it bs.

LakituAl said on Oct. 23, 2013

Maybe it’s counting the letters and realizes you can write “dat ass” with some of those letters?

Good ol’ Scunthorpe Syndrome has reached new heights. XDD Might as well call it Cofagrigous Syndrome now.

ChocoZuri said on Oct. 23, 2013

I believe ‘Tonda Gossa’ is a mix between Italian and some other language. If I recall, the meaning is, “Round Boy”

Chivi-chivik said on Oct. 23, 2013

Well, another thing to add to the wrong things GameFreak did in Pokémon X/Y.

BB Gang Zombie said on Oct. 23, 2013

As far as I can tell, they’re using an updated version of the same censor as the one used in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity, so it might help to look at the list from that: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_censored_words_in_Generation_V

Anonymous said on Oct. 24, 2013

It’s probably being passed through an over-zealous filter that recognizes “tonDA GOssa” as an ethnic slur.

@ChocoZuri
The other language could be French, where “gosse” means either testicle in Canadian French or kid in European French. The European usage would be intended here as silent e’s aren’t pronounced in Canadian French (i.e. it would be transcribed “goase” rather than “gossa”). That word makes for some good comedy though; for instance the title of “Honey, I shrunk the kids!” was translated in France as “Honey, I shrunk my balls!”

Tourist said on Oct. 24, 2013

I can’t even nickname a Pokemon “Trample”

Someone Else said on Oct. 24, 2013

I remember there was a point in Pokémon’s life where you couldn’t trade an un-nicknamed Skuntank or Cofagrigus because the filters picked up “sKUNTank” and “coFAGrigus”. Bloody hell Game Freak, Pokémon were named by YOU GUYS!

JamesBond007 said on Oct. 24, 2013

“Coon” – censored for what? This means “Szop” (an animal) in Polish. Could it be because this is Eric Cartman’s best alter-ego, and Sound Park is not for young kids?

Pak-Man said on Oct. 24, 2013

“Coon” is also slang for a certain part of the female anatomy. That was the joke on South Park, and why Pokemon won’t let you. (Although if you used that name in Pokemon Ruby/Saphire/Emerald, you can transfer it in and keep the name in Black/White. Don’t know if it will transfer into X and Y…)

Eiyeron said on Oct. 24, 2013

Coon is a insult term for a black person, I think that’s the reason why they won’t let use Cartman’s alter-ego raccoon name

misterdigi35 said on Oct. 24, 2013

It seems like it’s simply a silly programming error. Meaning, I don’t think the programmers willingly wanted Tonda Gossa to be considered an inappropriate word. That seems a bit of stretch. Unless of course by some strange chance, Tonda Gossa sounds too similar to Hankunah Matata (probably spelling that wrong) and Disney is making absolutely sure that no one is exploiting the phrase in any video game.

fanterbanter said on Oct. 24, 2013

I had to name my HM slave “The Bit.ch” because of the censorship.

Valder said on Oct. 24, 2013

@Anonymous
“Gosse” in French is widely used for “lad” or “kid”. In fact, it’s common to call handsome attractive boys “beau gosse”. That’s certainly not the problem.

I wouldn’t see them censoring the word “egg” (huevos) in Spanish just because it has an obscure vulgar meaning (which is incidentally referring to testicles, too). Neither would they censor “egg” or “eggs” in English.

Valder said on Oct. 24, 2013

My bad, I meant “balls” for English.

LK said on Oct. 25, 2013

If a word is a slur in ANY language in any world filter, that word cannot be used in Pokemon. That word filter is downright draconian.

So, most likely, some part of “Tonda Gossa” has some obscure foreign-language swear word in it that the filter is getting a red flag on. As some have said above, it might be picking up on the Italian slur “dago”.

My suggestion is to either substitute characters out for similar-looking ones, or add some kind of extra character in between letters until the system accepts the word. You might end up with something like “Tondaa Gossa” or “Tonda! Gossa!” or “Tonda G0ssa” or something similar, but hey! It still gets the message across, right?

The Apple Kid said on Oct. 26, 2013

Probably just Game Freak being overly sensitive.

OfTheEarth said on Oct. 31, 2013

I have had the same problem in animal crossing since Animal Crossing:City Folk. I would always try to get villagers to say Tonda Gossa and the game would always stop me telling me that it isn’t allowed.

neonix said on Oct. 31, 2013

FYI: You can circumvent the language filters in Animal Crossing by using a special character that looks like another letter. There are ones that look just like a, e, etc. without any accent mark or anything.

Haven’t checked if the Pokemon games have special characters like this, but probably. If not, they’ll at least have accented characters you can use.

Someone Else said on Nov. 1, 2013

The only accented character you can type if you set your language to English is é.
I think that’s pretty stupid personally, but whatever.
One of the new Fairy-type Pokémon’s name is “Flabébé” with accents, so I guess they realised that they had to put the é in somewhere…but not any other accent.

The Great Morgil said on Nov. 1, 2013

@ Someone Else: Or, you know, the é in Pokémon…

PSI Supernova said on Nov. 4, 2013

I caught a Furfrou and nicknamed it “ugly-ass dog” (with the hyphen) and the game didn’t do anything to prevent me. Sounds like a really badly programmed attempt at censorship. Try “Tonda-Gossa,” that would probably get through.

Ness and Sonic said on Nov. 4, 2013

Not surprised. Nintendo’s censorship system is pretty messed up. I was playing Mario Kart Wii with my cousin on line and we noticed someone with a racial slur in their Mii’s name. However, I tried to get on with my attempt of Shazza from Ty the Tasmanian Tiger and it said the same was banned. Changing it to Sharon (as she was called in Ty 3), worked.

Null said on Nov. 5, 2013

Nicknames I’ve tried to use, and was banned from:

Violet. (Is a name, colour, and flower in English. Banned because it contains “Viol”, which is profane in French.)
Gordo. (Spanish. Means fat. Also is a monster type in the Kirby series. Can’t pinpoint any reason why it’d be censored.)
Crissaegrim. (Tried to name an Aegislash this, it was the best sword in C:SotN. Also the name of a mountain range in the Tolkien mythos. Can’t figure out why that one was banned either.)

For all their overzealous censoring, they couldn’t stop this fellow on the Wonder Trade from greeting me with “Eat a D!ck!” or some other fellow giving out pokémon named “Fucface”…
I think they could afford to run another patch update to refine the filter. Or implement a function that simply prevents “offensive” names from being traded/seen over the internet instead of banning them outright. Or one that only prevents offensive names that are offensive in the given language.

Pamela wolf said on Nov. 18, 2013

I made some animals in animal crossing say offensive stuff like “Suck me” and the like just to be funny, it never told me it wasn’t allowed.

Melvin said on Nov. 23, 2013

When I tried to use “Tonda Gossa!” as a villager’s catchphrase in Animal Crossing New Leaf, it was flagged as inappropriate there, too. I wonder if it would work in Japanese copies of the game? They let me name my town Tazmily, though.

Zar said on Nov. 24, 2013

I ran into this in Animal Crossing when I tried to change a villager’s greeting. It turns out if you put it in as “Tonda-gossa” it works fine. :o And it actually sounds like they’re saying it in ACNL too, it’s super cute haha. I haven’t tried it in Pokemon, but if they have a similar word filter, it could be worth a shot.