Checking out Japanese Arcades
When I was in high school, one of the unexpected highlights was that I had to get a fancy calculator for some of my classes. I used to make little games of my own on it, and eventually people figured out how to put fancier games on them.
Since then, calculators have become a haven for game programming hobbyists. One cool example is this project by Eiyeron to put together a MOTHER 3-like engine on a TI calculator:
Man, at first I was expecting just a simple system like what I had made as a kid, but this has working menus, rolling HP/PP meters, variable number of party members, enemies, background animations, and more! Very impressive work so far!
If you’re interested, you can find more pics and details here, and even some downloadable demos! Man, this makes me wish I still had my old calculators…
Other Related Posts:
18 Comments to MOTHER 3, Calculator Edition
- poptart: was really hoping for a Earthboundified Wisdom of the World on his channel. :\ is he working on the EB0 snes remake? because he’s...
- Ben: I made a level based on the first sanctuary area in Earthbound, the cave leading up to Giant Step. Complete with Titanic Ant boss!...
- SteveNYC: Don’t post here that often but I love this site and love this game and love this recap. Thanks for sharing!
- leo: just uploaded a MOTHER2 themed course. it goes through selected scenes of the game which you’ll hopefully recognize. C291-0000-006F-5F04...
- Alexander: PK Starstorm! – 8674-0000-002A-4526 Mother3 Flashback – 4C52-0000-0059-FC53