EarthBound & Legal Issues
Tool-assisted speedrun expert pirohiko recently found a way to glitch MOTHER 2 and complete the game in 4 minutes and 4 seconds, which improves over previous TAS records. Here’s a look at it in action! (And thanks to Zinco for keeping me informed about it!)
There’s a big, detailed explanation on how this was all done here, and although it’s in Japanese you might still find it interesting to look at.
The quick explanation is that it involves a more accurate emulator that accepts sub-frame input and resetting the game at the exact time while save data is being overwritten. Later, some trickery with precise button input is used to skip to a specific, designated address, which brings up the game’s ending scene, completely skipping the credits.
Best of all, this method doesn’t rely on the debug menu at all! That always seemed to be a sticking point for some people over the years.
I like TAS attempts because they’re interesting ways to enjoy and explore a game in a whole new way. In a way, it’s kind of like playing a strategy game AGAINST the game itself. I think it’s that kind of enthusiastic creativity and inventiveness – whether it’s technical stuff like this or fan art or what have you – that keeps these old games alive for so much longer than anyone expected!
Other Related Posts:
14 Comments to MOTHER 2 Finished in 4 Minutes!
- KingOfSwords: The Memories civer looks beautiful ;.;
- BoaTransistor: I got the Memories cover this year. In my factual opinion, it is the best-looking EarthBound cover they’ve released yet.
- Globulous: I picked up the Memories cover and planner while I was in Japan, it should be interesting to note that the pocket on the back of the...
- RalahTama: This thread is bad, I’m making it about Talah Rama now. My favorite thing about Talah Rama is his wise, knowing eyes. What’s...
- Anonymous: @adex SJW much?