Onion’s Cool Stuff up for Grabs
Popular Posts:None found
Tool-assisted speedrun expert pirohiko recently found a way to glitch MOTHER 2 and complete the game in 4 minutes and 4 seconds, which improves over previous TAS records. Here’s a look at it in action! (And thanks to Zinco for keeping me informed about it!)
There’s a big, detailed explanation on how this was all done here, and although it’s in Japanese you might still find it interesting to look at.
The quick explanation is that it involves a more accurate emulator that accepts sub-frame input and resetting the game at the exact time while save data is being overwritten. Later, some trickery with precise button input is used to skip to a specific, designated address, which brings up the game’s ending scene, completely skipping the credits.
Best of all, this method doesn’t rely on the debug menu at all! That always seemed to be a sticking point for some people over the years.
I like TAS attempts because they’re interesting ways to enjoy and explore a game in a whole new way. In a way, it’s kind of like playing a strategy game AGAINST the game itself. I think it’s that kind of enthusiastic creativity and inventiveness – whether it’s technical stuff like this or fan art or what have you – that keeps these old games alive for so much longer than anyone expected!
Other Related Posts:
14 Comments to MOTHER 2 Finished in 4 Minutes!
- DJ: From what I’ve gathered I’m pretty sure he still writes copy, so they’re an ad company.
- cosmodos: What does his company even do? Is it actually lucrative? From what I can gather (not knowing Japanese), it’s just his blog, and he...
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.