October 20th, 2013 | EarthBound, Videos

Tool-assisted speedrun expert pirohiko recently found a way to glitch MOTHER 2 and complete the game in 4 minutes and 4 seconds, which improves over previous TAS records. Here’s a look at it in action! (And thanks to Zinco for keeping me informed about it!)

There’s a big, detailed explanation on how this was all done here, and although it’s in Japanese you might still find it interesting to look at.

The quick explanation is that it involves a more accurate emulator that accepts sub-frame input and resetting the game at the exact time while save data is being overwritten. Later, some trickery with precise button input is used to skip to a specific, designated address, which brings up the game’s ending scene, completely skipping the credits.

Best of all, this method doesn’t rely on the debug menu at all! That always seemed to be a sticking point for some people over the years.

I like TAS attempts because they’re interesting ways to enjoy and explore a game in a whole new way. In a way, it’s kind of like playing a strategy game AGAINST the game itself. I think it’s that kind of enthusiastic creativity and inventiveness – whether it’s technical stuff like this or fan art or what have you – that keeps these old games alive for so much longer than anyone expected!

14 Comments to MOTHER 2 Finished in 4 Minutes!

METC said on Oct. 20, 2013

good

Marcotto said on Oct. 20, 2013

Way2fast

blahmoomoo said on Oct. 20, 2013

You should refer back to the original submission for this TAS, where the details are in English: http://tasvideos.org/4089S.html

Another detail that should be mentioned: the basic reason why they wait so long in the menu is because the save needs to happen at a precise time, otherwise the corrupted save would be detected as such and deleted. If you know your lingo, it has to do with the checksum.

platinatina said on Oct. 20, 2013

dang that is super cool!! I really like hearing about the manipulation behind TASes even if I just barely understand it.

also I enjoy the playing along with the music thing at the beginning, that was great.

Just me said on Oct. 20, 2013

Wow, that’s cool.

LakituAl said on Oct. 20, 2013

Guitar Hero, Earthbound style. =v=

Eiyeron said on Oct. 20, 2013

That is a lot like Pokemon Green/Red where they dealed with the RAM itselft after swapping a Pokemon with an item, and create a teleporter to the Hall of Fame, and trigger the Win event with a time counter at 0:00.

But it’s nice to see how they alter the save, it’s not really a game completion, it’s more like altering the game itself. They’re not playing really any part of the game, they just trigger the last event in the game, that’s still a TAS, but I prefer to see a course with lots of bugs and Skip Sandwiches…

EpicJackman said on Oct. 20, 2013

Imagine all the attempts it would take US to complete this when it took pirohiko 3,000+ attempts.

Chivi-chivik said on Oct. 20, 2013

That would be cool to put in Synthesia XD

Eiyeron said on Oct. 21, 2013

@EpicJackman due to sub-frame precision, I don’t really think that’s doable without tool assisted methods…

Almost-Offtopic I love how the keys are shown on the video.

BusterTheFox said on Oct. 21, 2013

This is so cool! I’ve watched a ton of TASes, but none where the keys pressed are shown and none where the runner played along with the music as a part of the run, either. As soon as I saw that last part come up, I was like, “WHOA!!! How many buttons did he press all at once!?”. Pretty weird. Excited to read about why this works! 😀

Eiyeron said on Oct. 21, 2013

@Buster Slow Motion. Definitely Slow-mo. With the right versions of emulators, you can record the emulation state independently of the emulation speed. Thus you can reach frame-precision input.

EBisumaru said on Oct. 21, 2013

This is cool but it sucks.

EBisumaru said on Oct. 21, 2013

So, what I mean is, this is cool as a glitch, but it sucks as a TAS.