How EarthBound Identifies a Bootleg Cartridge
A good while back I posted about map differences between the Famicom version of MOTHER and the NES English version. For example, the Magicant cave was redone and the path leading to Holy Loly Mountain/Mt. Itoi was simplified.
Those weren’t the only changes though! Here are a few more!
First, Halloween/Spookane had the town layout slightly altered, and things were streamlined a little more to sort of funnel the player in the right direction:
It’s hard to see just from those thumbnails – the roads on the southwest side are different, and the path leading into the residential area is different.
The next difference not a lot of people know about is that there’s a cave entrance on the mountain that exists in the Japanese version but was taken out of the English version:
This cave leads to the room full of kidnapped people in tubes. In the English version, this cave was added to an all-new path that was added right before the final boss.
Anyway, as far as I know these are all the biggest map changes. Well, the haunted house was also simplified a bit, but I still need to explore it better to see how exactly the layouts are different. And an extra store was added to the Reindeer department store building. Hopefully I’m not forgetting anything else!
Other Related Posts:
5 Comments to More EB Zero Map Differences
Featured Item on eBay:
EarthBound Earth Bound WORKING SAVE FUNCTION DUST COVER Super Nintendo SNES 1995
- anon: @Isaiah V. That wasn’t a theory, they have always been the same person.
- Valder: These alien henchmen serve Giygas, the chief villain of EarthBound. In Smash Bros., the assist trophy Starman will teleport around and fire...
- Valder: Someone did some data mining poking around inside SSB 3D’s English demo files: http://pastebin.com/u/Kaphotic s Here are the official...
- Dragonwarriorquestsagain: *its
- Dragonwarriorquestsagain: Evil alien devil fetus? This seems like a real stretch. Maybe we cannot grasp it’s true form. Maybe that’s...