October 22nd, 2013 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

Mariana sent in an e-mail with a screenshot a while back:

Tomato!

Hi! 😀

Do you know if there’s some kind of glitch or error in this part of EarthBound?
Just after the pyramid, you enter Dungeon Man. I saved inside it, and then got out to buy something. Later, Dungeon Man is closed (just as how you find it for the first time), but when I try to use the key it says that it is already open. And I cant enter Dungeon Man again. I am emulating.

I think maybe it is just a small and obvious detail that I overlooked, or is this a known o not so known glitch?

In other words 😀 Congratulations about your work for the fans, the translation, the websites O_O It is unusual to find someone so commited to something, and just because of love for a series. People like you make EarthBound fandom even more fantastic and enjoyable 😀

Thanks.

Mariana (Mexico, from a little town called The Little Town)

Whew, that’s a lot of stuff! And some nice words, thanks!

For the Dungeon Man thing, here’s the screenshot of it in action:

eb

I don’t think this problem is an emulation issue, but I don’t have any save files near there to try to replicate the problem. It sounds like it might be a design mistake that the programmers never considered.

Has anyone else had this problem before? If so, was there a way to fix it? I don’t know if Mariana talking to Dungeon Man or checking Dungeon Man to try to get inside, it’s possible one of those are what you need to do instead.

Part of me’s really intrigued that this could be a legitimate design flaw in the game, though, so if anyone has more info, please share it in the comments!

7 Comments to Can’t Re-enter Dungeon Man?

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Oct. 22, 2013

I haven’t run into this glitch before, but maybe try entering after you use the key.

If all else (read: one solution I made up out of nowhere) fails, reset, do what you need to do first, then enter Dungeon Man.

Chivi-chivik said on Oct. 22, 2013

There’s no cheat code for that?

H.S said on Oct. 22, 2013

After you’ve used the key to unlock it, you can re-enter Dungeon Man by using the check command. I just tested this in-game, and that worked for me.

KyleRXZero said on Oct. 22, 2013

Like H.S has stated. I’ve been able to re-enter it as well. I was curious a while back about missable presents(like ones found in Magicant for example). I went to Dungeon Man after beating the game to see if I could still enter. And sure enough, I was able to. So no missable presents there.

Try “checking” the Dungeon Man like H.S suggested. Otherwise, that’s very strange thing at least I can say I haven’t encountered.

JCSmith said on Oct. 23, 2013

I think you could just walk in through the side. I can’t remember how I got in, but I think that was it.

Pally said on Oct. 24, 2013

I think the reason for this is because when you have dungeon man walking around iwth you, and he gets stuck, you have to talk to him before getting in. So its probably a programmer error.

Lewis said on Oct. 28, 2013

I exited, bought something, and re-entered with no problems on the Virtual Console. Just “Check” him when trying to enter.

Find Merchandise!