A Japanese MOTHER 4 April Fool’s Joke
A common debate among MOTHER/EarthBound fans is how the first two games connect, and in particular, how Ninten and Ness might connect. There are always lots of theories on how Ninten could be Ness’ father and stuff like that, and it usually gets people all riled up. The neatest one I’ve heard so far was this one, but I recently saw a line in the first game that got me wondering.
When you first meet Ana in MOTHER 1/EarthBound Zero, she says that Ninten looks a lot like a boy she saw in a dream:
The line is essentially the same in the Japanese version; she doesn’t say that he IS the boy in her dream, just that Ninten looks like the boy in her dream or reminds her of the boy in her dream.
So, although it’s a retroactive thing and probably wasn’t intentional, you could maybe argue that Ana’s dream was EarthBound, and that it was Ness she saw in her dream? It might explain why the worlds are so similar but still just different enough to be confounding.
I dunno, it’s just a thought that popped into my mind that I thought theory people might like. I don’t really have any strong opinions or cares about theories one way or the other, I just enjoy seeing what fans come up with!
Other Related Posts:
16 Comments to Another EarthBound / EarthBound Zero Theory
Featured Item on eBay:
EARTHBOUND Mother (NINTENDO FAMICOM 1989) VGA 85 ARCHIVAL CASE
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?
- StarmanAlex: @Chivi-chivik My beta remake is gonna be so obsolete if this continues