EARTHBOUND Mother (NINTENDO FAMICOM 1989) VGA 85 ARCHIVAL CASE

October 2nd, 2013 | EarthBound, Images

I usually don’t post “this random thing looks like an EarthBound character” stuff as much as I used to, but a few readers recently sent in news about a character in Natsume’s “Hometown Story” that seems kind of noteworthy. This is a character named Anna:

She looks a lot like Paula to people, and I can see it too. In fact, if I hadn’t known this was for some other game, I would’ve mistaken this for EarthBound fan art or something. Still, I feel it’s just a coincidence – it seems like this is a Japanese “pretty blonde girl” sort of pattern more than a reference to any MOTHER games.

…But it’d be cool if she were inexplicably able to start fires or summon lightning or something like that 😛

8 Comments to A Lookalike in Hometown Story

Esper said on Oct. 2, 2013

And her name is Anna. Like Ana from Mother 1.
Wow.

Earthbounder said on Oct. 2, 2013

I don’t see it. To much designs on her clothes, and she doesn’t even have her red bow. Just looks like and average little girl in pink dress. :/

Esper said on Oct. 2, 2013

@Earthbounder

You can’t deny there are plenty of similarities. The dress is the same length and color, and so is the hair. And though it’s not a bow, she has a distinctly red hair accessory.\

The main reason they’re similar though is that Paula herself is so simple that any girl the same size and color scheme is bound to strike a resemblance.

WhatsHerFace said on Oct. 2, 2013

Similar, but Paula’s design is pretty generic in itself. A light-skinned girl with blonde hair wearing a red ribbon and a pink dress. Really, you can find any number of similar-looking characters in almost any shojo manga.

Leeaux said on Oct. 3, 2013

The selling point for was her name was Anna. That’s what made me question if it was a reference.

Chivi-chivik said on Oct. 3, 2013

It would be fun if actually that character was based on Paula (or Ana) from the MOTHER series XDDD

SuperStarman said on Oct. 3, 2013

I agree with WhatsHerFace. Paula design is just TO generic. Pretty cool though.

David B. said on Oct. 4, 2013

If she uses a frying pan for self-defense, I wouldn’t be surprised…