September 8th, 2013 | Images, MOTHER 3

I’ve been rummaging through old project folders a lot lately for my MOTHER 3 translation notes. There’s so much stuff in there that I’ve forgotten about, so I’ve been posting especially interesting screenshots and images to my Twitter lately. Here are some recent ones I dug up:

Back when MOTHER 3 GBA’s details were first revealed, fans went wild and were in a rush to translate everything ASAP. One fan’s mistranslation of 戇ăȘい in the game’s tagline was especially memorable!

BTCqDVvCQAAdveu.png-large

99.999% of all the comments and e-mails we got during the translation project were really positive and encouraging. Even though it was a tough project, the support was amazing and it was definitely one of the happiest times of my life.

But sometimes there were other commenters:

border BTQWgThCcAAmvP7

When we released the patch, we set up an e-mail account where people could report bugs so we could try to fix them or troubleshoot things. Sometimes the reports were less than helpful though:

BTIWnF2CQAAb1Le

Still, the amount of positive stuff IMMENSELY outweighed this negative stuff. I’d love to share some of the positive stuff sometime, I just dunno if people would be okay with me sharing their e-mails with their personal details and such. I’ll give it some thought though.

I didn’t make this pic and I can’t remember where I got it, but here’s a look at MOTHER 3 Google searches over time:

BTfgivTCQAA8O5i

I also like how you can see when Smash Bros. Brawl stuff was revealed and when the game was finally released 😛

If I find more stuff I’ll post it on my Twitter and maybe after a while I’ll post it on here too.

18 Comments to Some Behind-the-Scenes MOTHER 3 Translation Stuff

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Sep. 8, 2013

Mato, I think these people who sent negative letters actually want to, ahem…how do I say this?

Matosfansarescared, indeed.

Alex Foffano said on Sep. 8, 2013

Lucky you.

The brazilian portuguese translation got 99.999% negative and discouraging comments. It was a tough job…

HpBoost said on Sep. 8, 2013

Love it.

Mato said on Sep. 8, 2013

Alex: Aww, that’s too bad. Was there a reason for it? Or is that just how gamers tend to be in Brazil?

Alex Foffano said on Sep. 8, 2013

Mato: Cultural stuff, maybe. They wanted to play the game, but didn’t know how to wait… But now that the translation is released, the trolls simply disappeared!

skyrunner14 said on Sep. 8, 2013

I would love to find out who sent you such a rude e-mail so I could punch them in the face and throw them off the Empire State Building. Nah, I’m kidding.

It’s still disheartening to see such a terrible person, though. They’re probably just jealous of you and the rest of the translation team because you guys are far more awesome than that person will ever hope to be.

Mesousa said on Sep. 8, 2013

Mother 3 may not cut you, but matoisscared will certainly try.

DJMankiewicz said on Sep. 8, 2013

I suspect that e-mail was sent as a drive-by insult. The utter lack of any context or content makes me think that’s just the sort of person they are. Shame really…

Mill said on Sep. 8, 2013

Yes, Mato, release the unfinished game that doesn’t work because I’m tired of waiting.

Lol.

Nicho said on Sep. 8, 2013

I dunno, I think it’s a good thing to get both good and bad emails. It shows that their are people who care about the project in a way, so much so that they would personally send an email. I haven’t been on the receiving end of these kind of things, but a successful project usually gets both negative and positive feedback because people care, and for a bunch of pixels and coding on a computer to make people care let alone feel, I find utterly amazing. I applaud you and your work.

Hejiru said on Sep. 9, 2013

That should totally be on an ad or something. “Mother 3: It won’t even cut you.”

Chewy said on Sep. 9, 2013

Personally I think you’re just a big ol’ nerd. (goes back to reading Famitsu)

al said on Sep. 9, 2013

man, I love your legends of localization posts so much along with anything from the translation.
I really hope you can update it more often ;_;

Nicho said on Sep. 9, 2013

Mother 3: It Won’t Even Cut You!…….

….Physically anyway.

MasterOfTheCourt said on Sep. 9, 2013

Nintendo would like to remind you that the Mother 3 Game Cartridge will never threaten to cut you and in fact, can not speak. In the event that the Mother 3 Game Cartridge does speak, Nintendo encourages you to disregard it’s pleas to to be translated.

(( If you get where this is from I will love you forever.))

Hejiru said on Sep. 9, 2013

@MasterOfTheCourt

Dude, I think practically everyone knows what that’s from.

TragicManner said on Sep. 9, 2013

@Alex & Mato:

We did have a pretty vocal group of trolls. And a pretty vocal group of supporters, too. When the patch finally went live, though, the response was pretty positive for a few days. Most everyone has been pretty quiet lately, though. 🙂 Maybe when Earthbound nears completion we’ll have more trolls/supporters again, haha.

MG_Salad said on Sep. 11, 2013

So here I am minding my own business watching Summer Wars, and at the end I see your name in the translation credits. You are my hero!

Everything you translate is gold, but especially Mother 3.