Random Post:

The World of MOTHER 2

September 14th, 2013 | MOTHER 1, MOTHER 1+2

The other day a friend living in Mexico messaged me with this:

so, i got a Reproduction Cartdrige of Earthbound, its the Earthbound Zero (without the Zero Logo)

and my Nes is dirty, is a long time that i had not use my console and i got this glitch

He wanted to know what the deal was and how this was even possible… so here’s a quick explanation!

It turns out that the original MOTHER logo IS still in the EarthBound Zero ROM, as you can see here:

Capture

The Earth Bound logo was simply added to the end of the game’s data rather than made to replace the existing MOTHER logo. So when the game glitched up here, it looks like it pulled the wrong graphics data.

Actually, when I was working on my MOTHER 1+2 translation I noticed that MOTHER 1 had some leftover tilemap code from EarthBound Zero. So it seems that the games have left little pieces of themselves inside each other. I bet if I hacked into the games even more I could find more code/data leftovers… but I’ll leave that as an exercise for future hackers :P

19 Comments to MOTHER Hiding in EarthBound Zero

Leeaux said on Sep. 14, 2013

Hahaha, That’s pretty interesting!

Stuffgamer1 said on Sep. 14, 2013

This, in the era where cart space was limited enough to really mess with the translation of games. You’d think they would have wanted to be as efficient as possible, but I get not.

joe said on Sep. 14, 2013

im more concerned about the glitch itself rather than the logo in there.

misterdigi said on Sep. 14, 2013

So there is probably a way then to make an english version of the game have the Mother logo appear at the beginning instead of EarthBound Zero.

Mac said on Sep. 14, 2013

They would be cool! What happen to the original text? Is that still there or was that completely erased and replaced with English?

Halloween said on Sep. 14, 2013

Back in the good ol’ days of video gaming; where it was much more work to take stuff out and shift every instruction than it is to leave fun secrets in.

DS Piron said on Sep. 14, 2013

For what it’s worth, they could’ve replaced the MOTHER tiles with the Earth Bound tiles, and just leave some there if Earth Bound is too small.

…Now that I think about it, Earth Bound might’ve need MORE space than MOTHER, and then it’d probably be easier to just move it to the end…

…So I guess, in short: “This ^”

Anonymous said on Sep. 14, 2013

What’d be cool if is the Mother 2 logo is still present in EarthBound.

RandomGuardian said on Sep. 14, 2013

Heh I’m not that suprised. Mother seemed like it kinda was hacked together to begin with. Changing the tiles rather then just adding new ones at the end of the code could have been disastrous.

LakituAl said on Sep. 15, 2013

I have a love/hate relationship with these kind of glitches. On the downside, they render the game nigh-unplayable. On the upside, they tend to reveal the graphics like this. I remember when my copy of Little Nemo The Dream Master malfunctioned and showed me a myriad of Katakanas and Hiraganas. Fun fun fun~

TBird said on Sep. 15, 2013

“I bet if I hacked into the games even more I could find more code/data leftovers… but I’ll leave that as an exercise for future hackers”

If you can find Mato’s hidden mountain palace and survive the 7 deadly tests, maybe he will train you. But at what cost…

Chivi-chivik said on Sep. 15, 2013

@LakituAl I feel the same way.

I like to trigger glitches just for fun :D But I really hope they don’t f*ck up my games…

The Great Morgil said on Sep. 15, 2013

Anybody else notice that unused doll enemy in the second pic?

JamesBond007 said on Sep. 15, 2013

Add this to TCRF.

Some Canadian Fellow said on Sep. 18, 2013

Woah, pretty nifty! Gotta say, I’m amazed that old NESs reveals things like this…

Mr. Carpainter said on Sep. 19, 2013

Cool

ejruss25 said on Sep. 20, 2013

Mato, I think you may want to invest in a new NES.

LRLRLR said on Oct. 2, 2013

I just had a funny thought… What if EB0 had been released, and some kid got a glitch like this, having no idea about the Japanese title? I know I’d be pretty freaked out if I popped in one of my favourite games only to be greeted with a screen full of “MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER”.

IAmSombreroHero said on Oct. 4, 2013

Does that mean Earth Bound might be in Mother 1+2? Meta.