EarthBound on Wii U is $6.99 for a Limited Time
The other day a friend living in Mexico messaged me with this:
so, i got a Reproduction Cartdrige of Earthbound, its the Earthbound Zero (without the Zero Logo)
and my Nes is dirty, is a long time that i had not use my console and i got this glitch
He wanted to know what the deal was and how this was even possible… so here’s a quick explanation!
It turns out that the original MOTHER logo IS still in the EarthBound Zero ROM, as you can see here:
The Earth Bound logo was simply added to the end of the game’s data rather than made to replace the existing MOTHER logo. So when the game glitched up here, it looks like it pulled the wrong graphics data.
Actually, when I was working on my MOTHER 1+2 translation I noticed that MOTHER 1 had some leftover tilemap code from EarthBound Zero. So it seems that the games have left little pieces of themselves inside each other. I bet if I hacked into the games even more I could find more code/data leftovers… but I’ll leave that as an exercise for future hackers 😛
Other Related Posts:
19 Comments to MOTHER Hiding in EarthBound Zero
- Peanutcheesebars: Truly a really fun ability to play. I don’t think they’ve made an Earthbound connection quite like this since the...
- Atomikku123: I got super-jealous when he showed the “Cave of the Past/Dierdre” instrument so I used Garageband iOS to record the...
- KingOfSwords: Ness neither turns invisible nor creates electric fields. What is this.
- Chivi-chivik: The reference was VERY obvious, to be honest XD
- AwelCruiz: Luckily for you, I posted about it in MiiVerse: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cl v-IffXIAAE8-X.jpg:large Excuse the quality, it was taken...