A Look at the Top MOTHER 2 Miiverse Posts
The other day a friend living in Mexico messaged me with this:
so, i got a Reproduction Cartdrige of Earthbound, its the Earthbound Zero (without the Zero Logo)
and my Nes is dirty, is a long time that i had not use my console and i got this glitch
He wanted to know what the deal was and how this was even possible… so here’s a quick explanation!
It turns out that the original MOTHER logo IS still in the EarthBound Zero ROM, as you can see here:
The Earth Bound logo was simply added to the end of the game’s data rather than made to replace the existing MOTHER logo. So when the game glitched up here, it looks like it pulled the wrong graphics data.
Actually, when I was working on my MOTHER 1+2 translation I noticed that MOTHER 1 had some leftover tilemap code from EarthBound Zero. So it seems that the games have left little pieces of themselves inside each other. I bet if I hacked into the games even more I could find more code/data leftovers… but I’ll leave that as an exercise for future hackers 😛
Other Related Posts:
19 Comments to MOTHER Hiding in EarthBound Zero
Featured Item on eBay:
Nintendo Power Magazine Issue #94 with Poster (EarthBound 64, EarthBound...)
- Meep: Combines two of my favorite themes of all time ^•^
- Mato: I mentioned “legal” as some of the changes were probably suggested by lawyers, such as removing the names of other...
- DJMankiewitz: Legal? Not sure I understand. Is the game ratings board in Japan actually a government institution? I know here the ESRB is basically...
- Obama: Is there a shard of chance for MOTHER 3 outside japan re-release date?
- GSUser: Too Bad. Also I Colored It Just For Fun, Not Like Someone Told To Do That.