Possibility for MOTHER 3 for DS?
The other day a friend living in Mexico messaged me with this:
so, i got a Reproduction Cartdrige of Earthbound, its the Earthbound Zero (without the Zero Logo)
and my Nes is dirty, is a long time that i had not use my console and i got this glitch
He wanted to know what the deal was and how this was even possible… so here’s a quick explanation!
It turns out that the original MOTHER logo IS still in the EarthBound Zero ROM, as you can see here:
The Earth Bound logo was simply added to the end of the game’s data rather than made to replace the existing MOTHER logo. So when the game glitched up here, it looks like it pulled the wrong graphics data.
Actually, when I was working on my MOTHER 1+2 translation I noticed that MOTHER 1 had some leftover tilemap code from EarthBound Zero. So it seems that the games have left little pieces of themselves inside each other. I bet if I hacked into the games even more I could find more code/data leftovers… but I’ll leave that as an exercise for future hackers 😛
Other Related Posts:
19 Comments to MOTHER Hiding in EarthBound Zero
Featured Item on eBay:
Super Nintendo 1995 "Earthbound" Video Game
- Aster: I made a Giygas based level and recorded a video of it. Feel free to find the code in the video description.
- James: Earthbound and all cartridge games will continue to only go up. And guess what when the games are 25 years old (not long until that happens)...
- poptart: was really hoping for a Earthboundified Wisdom of the World on his channel. :\ is he working on the EB0 snes remake? because he’s...
- Ben: I made a level based on the first sanctuary area in Earthbound, the cave leading up to Giant Step. Complete with Titanic Ant boss!...
- SteveNYC: Don’t post here that often but I love this site and love this game and love this recap. Thanks for sharing!