The other day a friend living in Mexico messaged me with this:
so, i got a Reproduction Cartdrige of Earthbound, its the Earthbound Zero (without the Zero Logo)
and my Nes is dirty, is a long time that i had not use my console and i got this glitch
He wanted to know what the deal was and how this was even possible… so here’s a quick explanation!
It turns out that the original MOTHER logo IS still in the EarthBound Zero ROM, as you can see here:
The Earth Bound logo was simply added to the end of the game’s data rather than made to replace the existing MOTHER logo. So when the game glitched up here, it looks like it pulled the wrong graphics data.
Actually, when I was working on my MOTHER 1+2 translation I noticed that MOTHER 1 had some leftover tilemap code from EarthBound Zero. So it seems that the games have left little pieces of themselves inside each other. I bet if I hacked into the games even more I could find more code/data leftovers… but I’ll leave that as an exercise for future hackers 😛
Other Related Posts:
19 Comments to MOTHER Hiding in EarthBound Zero
- NecrosaroIII: Itoi setting up his retirement
- Kamrom: My Recipe For Earthbound Rock Candy: 1. Get rock candy 2. Pour sugar on it 3. Watch as the sugar falls off 4. Eat the rock candy, clean up...
- Nessential: The stock is still pending listing, but you can find it on Bloomberg here: https://www.bloomberg.com/quot e/3560:JP I might buy some of...
- DJ: Well, unless they lose the big account and their financial manager hangs himself. Then they’ll have to figure something else out just in...
- KingMike: Buy all the stock so we can make him make Mother 4. 😛 (no, it wouldn’t turn out good unless Itoi wanted to make it)