EarthBound Rated by German Ratings Board in 2007
The other day a friend living in Mexico messaged me with this:
so, i got a Reproduction Cartdrige of Earthbound, its the Earthbound Zero (without the Zero Logo)
and my Nes is dirty, is a long time that i had not use my console and i got this glitch
He wanted to know what the deal was and how this was even possible… so here’s a quick explanation!
It turns out that the original MOTHER logo IS still in the EarthBound Zero ROM, as you can see here:
The Earth Bound logo was simply added to the end of the game’s data rather than made to replace the existing MOTHER logo. So when the game glitched up here, it looks like it pulled the wrong graphics data.
Actually, when I was working on my MOTHER 1+2 translation I noticed that MOTHER 1 had some leftover tilemap code from EarthBound Zero. So it seems that the games have left little pieces of themselves inside each other. I bet if I hacked into the games even more I could find more code/data leftovers… but I’ll leave that as an exercise for future hackers
Other Related Posts:
19 Comments to MOTHER Hiding in EarthBound Zero
- snesdude7: You can buy them again now! I just ordered one!
- Chase: There is a note now on the web page for it that says “we are expecting a restock on this item soon, check back to this page for more...
- Corbin: Will they get more? I hope so…
- chase: wow, 3 hours in, sold out already. Laaaaame
- Corbin: I’m trying to buy one but I don’t know how to add it to my cart or whatever!