EarthBound Script Dump
A recent question I got on my EarthBound Legends of Localization site was:
According to The Cutting Room Floor, there’s two unused items: Video Relaxant (“What the hey is this?”) and Temporary Goods (“A key given to you by a maid who works at the Monotoli building.”), neither of which do anything. The former is listed on your Items page, but not the latter.
I’m curious as to what the Japanese version says about these items.
For years I’ve wanted to know what the Japanese version of these unused items were like, so I finally went and checked it out. Here are some side-by-side screenshots!
In the Japanese version, the item is called “Video Drug”. This always seemed like a really weird phrase to me, but in some old interviews Shigesato Itoi refers to the battle backgrounds as “video drugs” (example), so I’m guessing it’s some sort of Japanese-derived English. Unless if anyone knows if this is a real English phrase?
Anyway, the description in Japanese is pretty much the same as in the English version, something along the lines of, “What the heck is this?”
As you can see, the “Temporary goods” item in EarthBound was simply called “TEMP” in MOTHER 2. The description’s essentially the same too: “A key given to you by the maid in the Monotoly Building.”
So there you go! It’s still unclear how exactly these items were supposed to fit into the game, if at all, but at least now we can see their Japanese counterparts.
…Now someday we gotta figure out the mystery of the game’s “Teleport Box” action, the “black smoke pours out of ____’s body” battle action that sends you outside the Monotoli Building, and lots more unused stuff. Almost 20 years since the game’s release there are still so many mysteries left 😯
Other Related Posts:
21 Comments to MOTHER 2 and EarthBound’s Unused Items
- RalahTama: This thread is bad, I’m making it about Talah Rama now. My favorite thing about Talah Rama is his wise, knowing eyes. What’s...
- Anonymous: @adex SJW much?
- .: I once bought Metroid: Other M for $5 at Best Buy in the bargain bin. It wasn’t the greatest Metroid ever, but for $5 it was a great game!
- Sato: @Apple Kid It’s probably a UK SNES, which has the same design as the Super Famicom. There’s the possibility that this is a...
- EileenThePizzaQueen: @adex As a (mediocre) feminist I want so badly to be able to defend you here. I absolutely get why you’d be...