September 22nd, 2013 | EarthBound, Images

A reader named Michael sent this in recently:

I think you’ll find it very interesting that clips from earthbound are being played on an HD television at my local Kmart. This is a rare kind of effort to spread the word about this game.

That’s actually pretty cool – I would’ve been pretty surprised to see that in a store too! Actually, is it even common for stores to use game footage to show off TVs? It seems like I only see movies or TV shows on those things.

In any case, someone at this particular electronics department has good taste in games 😛

30 Comments to EarthBound on In-store TVs

2Sang said on Sep. 22, 2013

That’s awesome!

Earth Saturn said on Sep. 22, 2013

Probably advertising the Wii U VC, but it’s still cool that they picked EarthBound to represent it.

Stan said on Sep. 22, 2013

Wow, they still do this? I guess I haven’t been in a big box store in a while, especially kmart, but I remember in the 80’s and 90’s they always had a TV set up in the game section showing off game play and game commericials. I never saw any of the famous Nintendo or Sega commericials of yesteryear that are so famous on youtube today on the TV but I did see them in Toys R Us. I remember rushing over to the game section just to see if they were playing any commericials that I hadn’t seen.

Ness1985 said on Sep. 22, 2013

One word “Amazing”.

Huks said on Sep. 22, 2013

Good thing it’s not that one awful video reel they used to advertise EB in stores back in the day 😛

Not sure if using an old SNES game to showcase a TV is a smart idea though. You’d think most customers would see the 4:3 aspect ratio and the pixelated graphics and immediately assume the TV is really bad.

Chivi-chivik said on Sep. 22, 2013

If it is common? IT IS. At least in my country (I live in Europe, that’s a hint). But it’s usually for famous/successful current games. I would have died if I saw EB on a TV screen of those. 🙂

MagikoopaMaster said on Sep. 22, 2013

it’s actually pretty awesome to see EarthBound being the game they chose to show off on the TV. you would think they would show a newer game like Halo 4 or something. it would be cool if it was the same TV add they originally had to promote EarthBound!

Refat17 said on Sep. 22, 2013

This is awesome, but I find it weird they’d use earthbound or any sort of retro game to show of a tv. Eh, who cares.

johnr754 said on Sep. 22, 2013

I remember seeing such pic while on 4chan.

I guess it’s interesting how some are advertising EarthBound on TVs. Great way to give awarrance.

Sat said on Sep. 23, 2013

And they’re not stretching the image ! Good job!

Musical said on Sep. 23, 2013

Funny thinking that the tv is just as expensive as an earthbound cart itself…

KingMike said on Sep. 23, 2013

@ Huks

This ad?

On something like this?
(though the one I remember seeing at Target back in the SNES and N64 days was red and had two monitors side-by-side on top, the other used for an auto-reset playable console running whatever the newest major first-party game was. I remember Super Mario All-Stars, Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario 64, and Star Fox 64. Though I’m sure there were more games rotated in.)

DJMankiewicz said on Sep. 23, 2013

It is more like the HDTV is showing off the game, not the other way around. That is, I doubt Earthbound is the best way to show off those super high resomalutions.

Huks said on Sep. 23, 2013

@KingMike: The first one, yes.

Mac said on Sep. 23, 2013

Was it actual gameplay or some type of commercial?

September said on Sep. 23, 2013

Game footage?! No, never seen that happen before, unless it’s like… in game stores, obviously. That’s really cool!

Ruff said on Sep. 23, 2013

From the looks of it, it may be from the original commercial which would be awsome

Nesskid said on Sep. 24, 2013

Is this the video that has NessA?

misterdigi35 said on Sep. 25, 2013

This alone is a triumph for this franchise. A huge win. Can we call it a franchise? I will say trilogy. This is a HUGE triumph for this trilogy.

DJMankiewicz said on Sep. 25, 2013

Triumph? It is very likely some bored employee was just a fan of Earthbound and set that up themself. I really doubt it was done at the corporate level. I mean, sure it’s neat, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves here.

FlyingManCourage said on Sep. 26, 2013

^ This. There is a not a store in America with a manager whose IQ is above 10 that would use a 480p 4:3 signal to advertise an HDTV in a store. Also, since Earthbound is only available to purchase digitally, this is CLEARLY the work of a fan. It’s neat, but calling it a triumph is almost hilariously over-zealous.

misterdigi35 said on Sep. 26, 2013

@DJMankiewicz

Hey. Get your negative attitude out the door, Pal. I didn’t say it was done at the corporate level. A bored employee putting it up on a screen IS a TRIUMPH. If I wanna call it a triumph, I’m gonna call it a triumph. Because that is what it is. And your little negative mind can’t tell me otherwise.

misterdigi35 said on Sep. 26, 2013

@ FlyingManCourage

And same goes for you. You wanna call what I said “hilariously over zeaoulous?” A fan putting that up on the screen is the same kind of thing that got EarthBound released in the US in the first place. I am happy for that fan putting it up on the screen. If you want to make fun of that then quite frankly you’re just a dick.

DJMankiewicz said on Sep. 27, 2013

Woah now settle down a bit. We never meant to insult you, we just saw that statement as a tad hyperbolic, at least as expressed, that’s all. If you define “triumph” as “expression of fandom”, then I understand your post, however that’s not the typical usage of the word, normally triumph meaning a victory of some sort, that is, the final end goal achieved. I apologize for any misunderstanding.

Mac said on Sep. 27, 2013

I’m just happy earthbound finally had its time in the spotlight. Can’t we all just be happy? if someone calls it a triumph why can’t it just be accepted. I’m just happy!! I’ve met new people because of the game so I’m happy more people can play and also benefit from it.

misterdigi35 said on Sep. 27, 2013

@DJ

There is no misunderstanding. You made a narrow minded, cynical, asshole comment.

Pigmask Private said on Sep. 27, 2013

You’re the narrow-minded asshole here. Cool your tits, nothing he said was out of line. If anything he’s being realistic, which is way better than being a crazed fanboy who thinks every time someone sprays graffiti of a Mr. Saturn it’s some kind of amazing victory for the games or the fans.
It’s neat seeing EarthBound on in store televisions, and it’s also smart. EarthBound is being advertised by Nintendo as a hot seller for the WiiU, something like this was bound to happen.

DJMankiewicz said on Sep. 27, 2013

I only ever meant to disagree with you, not to insult you. I don’t wish to get into an emotional argument.

FlyingManCourage said on Sep. 27, 2013

misterdigi- Thanks for that typical response from an EBC member. I’m not one bit surprised to see an EBC poster act like a petulant child and throw a temper-tantrum at the very slightest mention of something that you didn’t like; especially it proves you wrong and exposes your emotional fanboy nature. This is not the first time I’ve seen you act like this misterdigi, and your actions of immediately resulting to disgraceful name-calling and profanity show that you, like so many others around here, lack the general intelligence and maturity needed to value anything you say as more than just an annoying whine from a cry-baby who needs severe behavioral guidance.

@DJMank – As always, I appreciate your thoughtful and well-mannered post. You’re a far more patient man than I.

Mato said on Sep. 27, 2013

Wow, this conversation fell apart fast, and it looks like it was just a simple misunderstanding at the start.

Since the discussion no longer has anything to do with the topic at hand, I’m gonna close this for now.

Find Merchandise!