MOTHER and Japanese Fans
Good ol’ Aquas sent me an e-mail the other day:
Hey Mato. I recently discovered blackoak from Shmuplations.com strayed away from his usual vein of translations related to Shooting Game development and translated a small article from Itoi’s point of view on the development of Mother 1. It sounds a bit familiar to some things we’ve learned about the development of Mother, but there are some things I feel like we don’t know so it may be fresh.
And here’s a description of the article:
“In this 1989 interview, Mother series creator Shigesato Itoi talks about the events leading up to the creation of Mother and his desire to break RPG conventions. Mother is one of the better documented series in terms of developer interviews, but this interview is, to my knowledge, the earliest one with Itoi.
This interview was found at the GSLA, a Japanese a website that, among other things, preserves game developer interviews from older, now-defunct print sources. The GSLA often redacts the original interviewer questions, so the text ends up reading more like a narrative than an interview.”
Check out the interview here!
Other Related Posts:
15 Comments to One of Itoi’s Earliest MOTHER Interviews
- .: @DJ i meant the fassad talk above.
- Star and Moon: “…if an incredibly good-looking son born by a mistress were to come with a planning document that seemed really...
- .: pokemon? legend of zelda?
- JM: Hi NichoMania, Thanks for the comment. I took another look at the line and the Japanese is: アメリカ系の人はずっと「『4』が作られつつある」と言ってます が、嘘に決まっているじゃないかと（笑）。...
- NichoMania: Great translation, but something has been bugging me about it… Ever since, I read the last post about Itoi saying people in the...