Random Post:

Weekly Round-Up #4

August 18th, 2013 | EarthBound 64, Interviews, Itoi, Uncommon Knowledge

Back in 2000 (holy crap it’s already 13 years later), when the Nintendo 64 version of MOTHER 3 – aka EarthBound 64 – was cancelled, Satoru Iwata, Shigeru Miyamoto, and Shigesato Itoi sat down and talked all about the cancellation. It was then posted online over the course of like 15 pages.

There was so much text that nobody ever really fully translated the discussion… until now! Translation powerhouse Chewy had posted a full translation of the historic discussion here!

Read about how Iwata blames himself for the project failing! Read about their feelings on making it a 3D game rather than 2D! And read about how their initial idea to make a GBA version of the game was scoffed at!

Thanks again to Chewy for slaying this translation beast once and for all!

17 Comments to EarthBound 64 Cancellation Discussion – Now Fully Translated!

Alex Dyson said on Aug. 18, 2013

Geez, Miyamoto’s kid must’ve been disapointed when it got cancelled, dang….

Alex Dyson said on Aug. 18, 2013

Oh well, at least there are beta remakes of the MOTHER games…like I’m making a beta remake of EarthBound… :I

Zinco said on Aug. 18, 2013

“We were dealing with a tough childbirth, and right when we thought we were going to suffer a stillbirth, Iwata swooped in and worked it out, like Superman.” That’s such an awesome mixed metaphor

LakituAl said on Aug. 18, 2013

One of my favorite parts is when Itoi says he wanted to make something Miyamoto wouldn’t, to which Miyamoto replies “Hey, what’s that supposed to mean!?”.

I don’t know, it kinda sounds like friendly banter to me, at first. XDD

Prayer For Safety said on Aug. 18, 2013

Thanks for translating this Chewy. About to read it now.

Neko Knight said on Aug. 18, 2013

It’s really impressive how seriously they take their games.

Chewy said on Aug. 18, 2013

I’m a little horrified at how this is taking off as an article that’s fanning some hate for Iwata. Iwata is da best. :<

Mato said on Aug. 18, 2013

Yeah, the timing is probably not the best, what with everyone saying he should step down and stuff

Chewy said on Aug. 18, 2013

I had no idea anyone was saying that! :O No love.

Pepper said on Aug. 18, 2013

This was crazy awesome–thank you for translating. It’s so sad to read their initial reactions to the cancellation because you can see just how much they cared. I also thought it was interesting that turning Mother 3 into something other than a game briefly crossed Itoi’s mind.

Chivi-chivik said on Aug. 19, 2013

Oh gosh this is so sad… failure always hurts, specially in this case, when you’re about to finish something you liked. And I KNOW that feel. :(

Anonymous said on Aug. 19, 2013

Some people even say we should at least let the players enjoy the game as it is, bugs and all, for those who really want it. But this is a product—we can’t just do that.”

Yes you can! Who cares if it’s A product?! Give it to us and let us play it!!! D:

Seriously guys said on Aug. 19, 2013

Guuuhhhh I am always holding out hope for some kind of playable fragment of EarthBound 64 to get leaked. Even some video of a Space World (or something )playthrough on grainy VHS. I never thought I’d see hour long footage of N64 Dinosaur Planet or Conker 64, so there’s still hope… eventually…

LucasPSI said on Aug. 19, 2013

So Mother 3 was originally going to be about A detective going from city to city solving cases?

I can so see Lucas looking like A badass wearing A trenchcoat lol. xD

Jungyin said on Aug. 19, 2013

A lot of the commenters on the others sites bad mouthing Iwata clearly have no idea what they’re talking about, only read the (slightly inflammatory) headline used on the site reposting the link, and think the interview is recent.

CookieDude said on Aug. 20, 2013

“Iwata: I’m starting to feel more and more sorry for everyone reading this.”

He has no idea….

BusterTheFox said on Aug. 20, 2013

The link at the very end lead me to this page:

On that page I saw this screenshot:

it appears to depict Onett being destroyed. There’s a sign that says Onett and everything. Looks like the original game was going to show the scene where the world is destroyed and the people of Tazmily leave on the “white ship”. Or maybe a tie-in to Mother 2 during the final scene when the dragon destroys(?) everything. I found that very interesting! I’m also glad that, after looking at the screens for a while, I can recognize a lot of the scenes as ones from the GBA Mother 3. A few of them I can’t figure out no matter how long I look at them, though.