MOTHER2 Earthbound Figure Phone Strap Set of 5 NINTENDO 1994 JP Takara

July 17th, 2013 | EarthBound 64, Images

ChocoZuri sent me this a little while back:

Hey, Mato! I have here scans from an old MOTHER 3 post-Spaceworld preview that I believe has not made it to this site. It’s not big on any new screenshots (Despite a clearer shot of Osohe Castle), but it seems to be a little more in-depth on the storyline & battle system than anything, along with some side-notes from the publishers as well. Now Sadly, I’m not too skilled in the Japanese language, so hopefully you can provide a faithful translation :)

And here are the scans:

ol4eo 2uibr4j

I don’t have time to translate everything, but here are some key points:

• Two kids/young adults were asked for their opinion after playing the demo at Spaceworld. Their comments are:

I love the MOTHER series, so I came here to play this. The battle system was very good.

And:

The graphics were very nice. The music that played was very MOTHER-like. I think I’ll buy it.

• Apparently, they provided headphones for you when playing the demo. It seems the developers really wanted the musical aspect of the game to be clear to players.
  • The N64 version had rolling HP and magic meters too. I don’t think I’ve ever seen them in action so I never considered if this version had rolling stuff or not.
  • At the end of the mine cart scene, the twins apparently fall into the river and get washed downstream.
  • Apparently another Nintendo producer was added to the team around this point in time to speed up development/to help get the demo ready in time.
  • Miyamoto was acting as a supervisor.

The article covers more than that of course, but those are the big new things I was able to pick up during a quick look-over. If anyone is willing to translate the entire thing though, please go ahead!

32 Comments to Post-Spaceworld EarthBound 64 in Dengeki 64

SamWibatt said on Jul. 17, 2013

But that trick NEVER works!

/Rocket J. Squirrel

misterdigi said on Jul. 17, 2013

I wish i could have played this game. Grass is always greener I guess.

The Apple Kid said on Jul. 17, 2013

I still consider Earthnbound 64/Mother 3 Beta the most interesting thing in Earthbound history. This stuff is good to know, and if I where connect lines I would say that the mine cart scene was part of an extended prologue that shows the boys escaping the Mecha Drago. But that’s just a theory.

skyrunner14 said on Jul. 17, 2013

…Huh. In the big battle screenshot on the second scan…

Did anyone notice the rolling number on the left side of the little display? It’s a 4 going onto a 5. I think that’s the first time I’ve noticed that! And maybe that white bar on the right is a magic meter of some sort? Flint doesn’t have magic/PSI, so the red node is at the bottom of the meter, but I imagine for a character WITH such powers it might look different!

Are there any screenshots of battle with characters other than Flint or other non-PSI using characters?

LucasPSI said on Jul. 17, 2013

What I would give for Itoi to try and make Earthbound 64 one more time… T_T

Esper said on Jul. 17, 2013

I feel ya, LucasPSI… I feel ya.

Someone Else said on Jul. 17, 2013

@LucasPSI

I don’t understand this… Itoi did! It was released, too! It’s on the Game Boy Advance instead of the Nintendo 64, but we already have precisely what you’re asking for.

Moonside said on Jul. 17, 2013

@Someone Else

We all know. But we want to see what it would have been. It doesn’t have all the features that the GBA version does.

I would love to see the Earthbound 64 beta in action.

Neko Knight said on Jul. 17, 2013

Oh, the nostalgia…I can’t take it…makes me feel so empty inside that this game never came out on the N64…But at least we have the GBA version, which is really great too…

CrimsonEnigma said on Jul. 17, 2013

So the minecart sequence WAS how the twins ended up in the river after all!

…why was this never explained in the GBA game?

Mariotti said on Jul. 17, 2013

@CrimsonEnigma We don’t know that for sure, because nothing has been confirmed… That’s just a likely theory. :)

Prayer For Safety said on Jul. 17, 2013

I’d love to hear Itoi talk about this beta, and explain when the mine cart chase happened.

Anonymous said on Jul. 17, 2013

skyrunner: If I may ask, where do you see these numbers? I’m looking on both pages (I know you referred to the second one specifically), but the only two battle screenshots I see has Flint’s HP at 21 and 23 respectively, nowhere do I see a “4 turning into a 5″… nor do I even see any turning at all in these two sets of numbers.

Jerkmcgee said on Jul. 17, 2013

I think few people noticed this, but during the Spaceworld trailer, during the mine cart scene, you can actually see the Lucas konks his head on of the wooden support beams in the tunnel. I’m not sure what the purpose of that was; maybe some sort of “duck at the right time” method of play for that portion.

slurpee said on Jul. 18, 2013

Wow really cool! Thank you for posting these.

Vukadin said on Jul. 18, 2013

Imagine Giygas in N64 graphics.

Nightmare fuel.

The N64 had what I consider some of the most disturbing, creepy and downright scary graphics. Along with the PS1, but to a lesser extent. I really don’t know why. Does anyone else feel the same way?

misterdigi35 said on Jul. 18, 2013

The other video you posted Mato, about 4 years ago shows a kid that looks like Ness, riding around in a little vehicle in the desert. I wonder if that was actually him?

nem said on Jul. 18, 2013

Figured this would be faster:

Earthbound is out on the WiiU VC. RIGHT NOW.

2Sang said on Jul. 18, 2013

YEAH!

SmaMan said on Jul. 18, 2013

Wait, as in donwloadable now? They had the normal “Here’s what’s on the eShop today…” post but it wasn’t totally up yet last I checked.

LuigiBlood said on Jul. 18, 2013

It will be out in Europe as well in a moment today.

PSIpunky said on Jul. 18, 2013

The update hasn’t happened yet, at least not for the NA Eshop update, but it’s currently listed under their webpage. Was not expecting this at all.

Would have been nice if it had some sort of marketing or Nintendo Direct. Oh well, it looks like it’s finally here!!

SmaMan said on Jul. 18, 2013

The official website link, if anyone is interested.

Dude, looks like this is on like some kind of gorilla-based Nintendo character! O_O

SmaMan said on Jul. 18, 2013

Aaand according to this site: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/07/earthbound_arrives_on_the_wii_u_virtual_console_today

It’s $9.99, and that includes a digital version of the original strategy guide!!! :O

vowswithin said on Jul. 18, 2013

What the hay? I thought they said they said it was being released for 30 cents? oh well. I don’t have a wii-u anyways but still….

SmaMan said on Jul. 18, 2013

That was just part of the 30th Famicom Anniversary in Japan… hell considering the full set (cart+guide) is going for an average of $572 right now, $9.99 is totally. effing. worth it.

Jonnycat said on Jul. 18, 2013

EARTHBOUND. IS. OUTTTTTTTTT!

PSIpunky said on Jul. 18, 2013

It’s updated and now available. Game and optimized strategy guide on the gamepdad.

Now it’s time to show Nintendo that this game is awesome.

Potential!

Douche Mcallister said on Jul. 18, 2013

You know, the 3D models in this beta of the game are actually really nice looking for that era. I would have really enjoyed a full 3D Mother 3, but at least we got something. (And that something is great.)

Chivi-chivik said on Jul. 22, 2013

@Vukadin
I feel the exact same way as you. In my case it’s due to the polygonal 3D they have and the use of 2Ds for 3D objects. The result is kinda disturbing…

Christian Michael Baum said on Jul. 27, 2013

I was just thinking about Earthbound 64, and I think it could have been that way for the better. Shigesato Itoi had nearly five years to ponder on Mother 3 before it actually happened. A lot about this game would have been drastically different, and I like Mother 3’s more Earthbound-y feel.

Jason said on Aug. 7, 2013