July 12th, 2013 | Hacking, MOTHER 3

In MOTHER 3, each playable character can do music combos in battle. Each character has a handful of different-sounding combos… all except Duster. For some reason every combo of his sounds the same. I never really noticed it because I’m terrible at the music combo system.

Some intrepid fans figured out that Duster DOES have other combo sounds though, and ever since then a common question Jeffman and I have gotten is, “Can you fix Duster’s sound combo glitch?”

Well, out of nowhere, Jeffman recently tracked down the problem and fixed it! You can download it and read more info about it here.

This bug was present in the original Japanese version of the game too, so this marks another bug that Jeffman went and fixed! So if you ever meet Jeffman someday, give him your thanks and/or a bucket of candy!

23 Comments to MOTHER 3 Duster Sound Fix

kevinchai said on Jul. 12, 2013

Aw man, I met him, but I forgot the bucket of candy.

Kevin G said on Jul. 12, 2013

It’s so great that you guys (in this case Jeffman) are still making fixes and improvements to Mother 3.

KyleRXZero said on Jul. 12, 2013

Jeffman rules. One day I hope to be half the boss he is.

Halloween said on Jul. 12, 2013

Very neat, I suck at the combo system as well so I might never notice but you guys’ version of the game is SUPREME. It must feel cool to actually fix bugs and improve Mother 3.

refat17 said on Jul. 12, 2013

For some odd reason I could only do the combo system well with boney. Sometimes with Duster too but he’s a far second

JeffMan said on Jul. 12, 2013

kevinchai: you gave me Feed Time, which is all I ever needed

Gaffer Tape said on Jul. 12, 2013

Haha, it’s funny. I always found Duster the easiest to combo with, and I think that’s because it was the same every time! :D

Vince94 said on Jul. 12, 2013

I was pretty good at the combos after getting used to VBA-M’s delay, apparently it’s way easier on a real Gameboy. Will the Duster fix be included in the next version of the patch?

misterdigi said on Jul. 13, 2013

That sound combo system was tricky for sure. I always thought “oh yeah! here I go. I’m gonna rock this battle” and then bam. I’d miss a beat and ruin it. Frustrating as heck.

Vukadin said on Jul. 13, 2013

You can still beat the game even if you can’t combo.

If you HAD to combo in order to play Mother 3 I think I would have never played it.

someone said on Jul. 13, 2013

Thanks Jefflypuff!
You shall always have a special place in my heart,pokedex, and Mother3 data.

Zaxtur said on Jul. 13, 2013

Can someone please make a YouTube video demonstrating the different sounds.

MikAve94 said on Jul. 13, 2013

@Zaxtur

There’s one already by srb2Espyo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM2z6f8m1kU

Gaffer Tape said on Jul. 13, 2013

I don’t want to sound like I’m trying to brag, but it has always struck me as curious how many people can’t seem to get the hang of the sound battles because they’ve always seemed very easy to me. I can consistently 16-hit combo on almost every song, and, although it took me a few playthroughs, I’ve started getting pretty good at some of the harder songs with irregular time signatures, like the Barrier Trio and Masked Man songs. And I’ve only ever played on an emulator, and what with so many people saying that messes up their timing, I’m kinda worried to play it on a Game Boy!

misterdigi said on Jul. 14, 2013

@ Vukadin

Yes. I know. I’ve played through the game four times.

gBev said on Jul. 14, 2013

I feel ashamed for never noticing this glitch before.

Vukadin said on Jul. 14, 2013

@misterdigi

That comment wasn’t directed towards you, but okay.

DJMankiewicz said on Jul. 15, 2013

I actually got pretty good at the combo system near the end. It takes a lot of practice, but it did pay off. Mind you, I was using a flash cart so the timing wasn’t “off” as it often is in various emulators.

Mariotti said on Jul. 17, 2013

Has anybody noticed that Mato’s posts have been getting less and less daily?

Earthbounder said on Jul. 17, 2013

Yes I’ve noticed I think he’s too busy for us j

SuperGamingbro64 said on Jul. 17, 2013

Hi mato, you might remember me as Chuggaaconroy jr but, if not then whatever. Have you checked out the Video Games Awesome guys in awhile? They did two Earthbound builds in Minecraft, Dalam and Summers. They are really cool and if you can find the video, maybe you could post them to EarthBound Central.

Mato said on Jul. 17, 2013

Mariotti: Yeah, I’ve been busy and my schedule’s been bad lately. I think more than anything though, after all the EarthBound craziness of earlier in the year I came close to EarthBound overload, so I’m trying to take it a little slower lest I get burned out/sick of it. There’s also been a bit more negativity around the community lately which has been disheartening. So I’m just trying to take it easy and not get too burned out :P

SuperGamingbro64 said on Jul. 18, 2013

I understand. I just thought it would be cool to see those videos here.

Find Merchandise!