EARTHBOUND Mother (NINTENDO FAMICOM 1989) VGA 85 ARCHIVAL CASE

July 30th, 2013 | EarthBound, Images

A reader by the name of Nathan sent this the other day:

I recently picked up the daily newspaper and found something interesting!

Snapshot_20130727

I apologize for the poor quality of the article, but the description reads:

“EARTHBOUND was a cult classic 20 years ago and its devoted fans have made it one of the most requested titles for the Wii U.

But its release at long last has not been without controversy – the slightly inflated price angered some. In reality however, it is worth every penny of its £6.99 price tag.

Perfect for fans of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Chrono Trigger, players control baseball fan Ness, who is awoken one night by a meteorite crash-landing near his village. Ness rounds up a group to investigate this freak event, while protecting the rest of the world from the abominable things appearing as a result. The story takes many crazy turns – players converse with a bee, for example – but the game reeks of vintage RPG brilliance with turn-based battles and tongue-in-cheek dialogue. Despite boasting SNES standard graphics, the game feels miraculously timeless and is full of charm. An essential purchase.

Man, the last few weeks have been feeling so surreal! I hope the game finds lots more fans around the world thanks to this re-release 😀

10 Comments to EarthBound Hits British Newspaper

Aspirety said on Jul. 30, 2013

Welcome to Moonside!

antiaverage said on Jul. 30, 2013

Wonderful news! I’m also hoping for new players to find the game and come to love it as much as we do.

Drake said on Jul. 30, 2013

I’m so happy EB is getting more recognition, I hope it gains lots of fans ;_;

Anon said on Jul. 30, 2013

Wait, do I understand that right? EarthBound costs £6,99 in the UK? Isn’t that roughly around 8€ (= usual price for SNES VC games here)? Man, why do we have to pay more for it. 🙁

Douche McCallister said on Jul. 30, 2013

Boy oh boy. Wouldn’t it just be swell if Mother became a big cultural thing everywhere like it is in Japan? Seeing it in the news papers is really encouraging. 🙂

Ness said on Jul. 30, 2013

what paper was this?

Nathan said on Jul. 31, 2013

@Ness: I believe this article was part of ‘The Sun’ Newspaper.

Vukadin said on Jul. 31, 2013

The ‘Bound for glory’ line made me laugh…

Hm… GloryBound… I think I have a new name for an EarthBound hack…

Mr. Copycat (formerly Mr. Nosy) said on Aug. 1, 2013

…really? The game is still far lower than most games outside the Virtual Console.

EarthBound2 said on Aug. 2, 2013