EarthBound Display Boxes
A couple readers sent in a link to a new video about EarthBound and how its “personality” plays a big part of its game design. The video is described with:
Earthbound’s greatest strength is its personality, something most modern games seem to lack. But, from a game design perspective, “personality” isn’t something often considered. How does Earthbound use its charm to benefit its gameplay and story? And how did this quirky RPG gain a cult following unlike so many other games that have come out before or since?
On top of the points the video makes, I feel that the MOTHER/EarthBound games aren’t so much about quirkiness as they are about charm and personality – I don’t think Itoi was ever like, “Oh man, I am gonna make THE wackiest games ever!” I think this is why a lot of quirky games/whatever that people say take after EarthBound never quite feel “EarthBound-y”, you know?
Anyway, if you like game analyses, check out a bunch of other Game Theory videos here!
Other Related Posts:
15 Comments to Earthbound, Personality, and Game Design
Featured Item on eBay:
Game ONLY for MOTHER 3 GBA micro System DELUXE BOX ( Earthbound ) JAPAN USED
- An E and two 8: Happy Anniversary to all the long time fans out there! 25 years… Wow. Only three games, yet these games still keep the...
- 2Sang: @youkai not that I ever remember. Would be an interesting interview.
- Youkai: This, for some reason, reminded me of a question I’ve been wanting to know: has Itoi ever commented on Ness and Lucas being in Smash...
- 2sang: I really like the gif whoever made it did a great job
- Leeaux: Well Mother Anniversary.. I certainly wish you were getting more Smash love right now. Or an English release. But you know, the former is...