MOTHER 3 Handbooks Ship Soon!
A couple readers sent in a link to a new video about EarthBound and how its “personality” plays a big part of its game design. The video is described with:
Earthbound’s greatest strength is its personality, something most modern games seem to lack. But, from a game design perspective, “personality” isn’t something often considered. How does Earthbound use its charm to benefit its gameplay and story? And how did this quirky RPG gain a cult following unlike so many other games that have come out before or since?
On top of the points the video makes, I feel that the MOTHER/EarthBound games aren’t so much about quirkiness as they are about charm and personality – I don’t think Itoi was ever like, “Oh man, I am gonna make THE wackiest games ever!” I think this is why a lot of quirky games/whatever that people say take after EarthBound never quite feel “EarthBound-y”, you know?
Anyway, if you like game analyses, check out a bunch of other Game Theory videos here!
Other Related Posts:
15 Comments to Earthbound, Personality, and Game Design
Featured Item on eBay:
***EARTHBOUND SNES SUPER NINTENDO GAME COSMETIC WEAR~~~
- Sat: 2000$ is almost what I’d pay for that jacket, gosh. Are those EB64 screenshots in full res ? Is there more to see? Even if we’ve...
- Fred bounder: You missed the pk album from fangamer!!
- KingOfSwords: For those who don’t know, the Lasagna Cat video is a reference to “Colin’s Bear Animation”:...
- neonix: Dang, somehow I didn’t catch wind of that ruler auction. I would have been in the bidding for it. Oh well, guess I’ll keep...
- Leeaux: And I just posted wondering where you went! Great stuff.