June 7th, 2013 | EarthBound

There’s a new-ish Kickstarter project that might be up your alley if you’re into literature about games: Boss Fight Books. It looks like the Kickstarter is already funded, and the first book that’s set to be released is about EarthBound! Here’s the description about it:

Book #1: Earthbound by Ken Baumann

There is no better title with which to start a video game series than Earthbound, an RPG that flopped when it first arrived to the U.S., only to grow in fans and critical acclaim over the years, eventually becoming the All-Time Favorite Game of thousands, among them Ken Baumann.

Baumann will explore the game’s origins, its marketing failures, its cult rise from the ashes, the ways in which the game is a window into “what the world thinks of American culture and mythology,” how he and his older brother bonded over the game as kids, and what it’s like to try to recreate childhood experiences.

Ken Baumann lives in Los Angeles. He’s worked as an actor for ten years in film, theater, and television. He starred in The Secret Life of the American Teenager, a series on ABC Family, for five seasons. He’s the author of the novels Solip and the forthcoming Say, Cut, Map. His fiction, poetry and essays have been published at VICE, HTMLGiant, The New York Tyrant and elsewhere. Baumann also runs Sator Press, a nonprofit that publishes innovative literature.

It looks like the EarthBound book is tentatively scheduled to be released this December. There’s also a little more info in this Kickstarter video too:

So if you’re interested, check out the full Kickstarter page here!

29 Comments to An EarthBound Book in the Works

Plok said on Jun. 7, 2013

I like Earthbound plenty, but these Kickstarter projects are getting ridiculous. I suppose if people are dumb enough to throw money at something because it has the word “Earthbound” on it, or what have you, more power to them. I’m sure, in usual obsessive-fan fashion, this will get an overwhelmingly positive response because, heck, it’s Earthbound, and writing that name on a post-it note makes it desirable for some reason. Why would anybody spend money on an unofficial book with information that you could get on either this site, or wikipedia for free?

MikAve94 said on Jun. 7, 2013

Ken Baumann himself made a topic on the forums about publishing a book on EarthBound, and said it himself that:

“It’s getting published! As of a few hours ago, the Kickstarter campaign is fully funded. The book will come out in December at the latest, maybe earlier.”

Hukky said on Jun. 7, 2013

They had better spell “EarthBound” right (with a capital B) in the name of the final book. *shakes fist*

MikAve94 said on Jun. 7, 2013

@Plok Oh, I thought you meant the information about the book being published was unreliable and not true.

Well, I’ve always wanted a book about EarthBound to be made, and that a famous person played it. And Ken happens to be that person. Sure information is everywhere on the net about EB, but why not? If I don’t want to go online, or the connection is out, I’ll get my EB fix that way.

Burglin Pork said on Jun. 7, 2013

I’d rather they make a documentary about EarthBound. I mean, it’s not like people haven’t written books about it before. I think it would be really cool to do something similar to Indie Game: The Movie.

Also, I’m not sure about the bat on the cover. Shouldn’t it be something more iconic, like the Franklin Badge or Mr. Saturn? Maybe there would be some legal issues that would arise if they did that, though.

Mato said on Jun. 7, 2013

An EarthBound documentary IS in the early works – we mentioned it on the live stream a few months ago. Actually, it’s more about fans and the community than about the game itself. Reid and the gang are gonna announce more about it in a few months I think.

Jason said on Jun. 7, 2013

I hope the cover design is tentative. It looks really.. bland. I kinda question the assertion that it “looks great on your bookshelf” is that’s what they’re going for.

Re: not using iconic imagery.
That would be a DIRECT copyright violation to use the imagery of actual characters from the series. ^^

Burglin Pork said on Jun. 7, 2013

As I thought. But what about, like, the Starman logo or something? The stock image of the bat is not doing anything for me.

I’ll be looking forward to the EarthBound documentary. The community is a big part of the story, so it’s no wonder that it would gain prominence.

EarthBoundnerd199X said on Jun. 7, 2013

Taking it to school will hopefully spread some publicity about it. Cause as of now everyone at my school thinks I’m the only person alive who cares about it.

EarthBoundnerd199X said on Jun. 7, 2013

And on terms of the tangible on the cover of the book, I was thinking maybe Ness’ hat. It is just a colored hat, not necessarily specific to Ness. And let me just say, $14,494 out of $5,000? Wow! That’s over 9,000!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said on Jun. 7, 2013

I got two friends who really love this game at my school, I don’t seem to be alone being an Mother fan myself there, a couple weeks ago I spread the word and got them interested and told them that it will come out to Wii U. 🙂 Hopefully I’d share this book to my friends and others if I can have the book when it comes out.

misterdigi35 said on Jun. 8, 2013

Hoorah. I’m also an actor and live in Los Angeles, just like Ken Baumann. AND I love EarthBound.

Vukadin said on Jun. 8, 2013

I actually like the cover. Simple yet it captures the nostalgia of EarthBound and feels very iconic.

I sort of agree with Plok though: anything with ‘EarthBound’ in it’s name gets bought instantly. Crazy fans, I say.

Jason said on Jun. 8, 2013

No offense, but…

How many people in Los Angeles AREN’T “actors”? Y’know, just not hitting their big break yet…

misterdigi35 said on Jun. 8, 2013

Hey Jason. No offense, but you’re an a**hole. And you’re talking out of it. I’m an actor. That’s my JOB. It literally pays my bills. I have an agent. I do commercials, and go to auditions weekly. There are MANY people in Los Angeles who DON’T do this, and who are not actors. And there are also many actors that DO. And they are actors whether they’ve hit some big break or not. Please don’t open your mouth if you can’t say something intelligent, and not callous, idiotic, rude, and infantile.

wut said on Jun. 8, 2013

^ Little too quick to get offended there.

Yup said on Jun. 8, 2013

misterdigi35 just was tired of being subsidized into a category of people that is very high in his place of residence. you have no idea how many posers there can be and it makes an honest to goodness actor such as himself cry to be put in the same sentence as those hacks. with that said he was a bit quick with the anger switch however he is commended for his lack of the use of swear words in his mad rant. GOOD JOB sir

Yup said on Jun. 8, 2013

oh wait he did *wags finger* nevermind. : (

Smoking Crow said on Jun. 8, 2013

So what you’re telling me is that I should throw money at a guy who hasn’t written a draft or written anything yet? Sold

The Apple Kid said on Jun. 9, 2013

Lately, the comment sections of posts has been home to many arguments. I hope this doesn’t become a trend, after all, after the heartbreak we’ve suffered time and time again by the constant game of keep away with NOA, NOE, and NCL tossing EarthBound over our heads. I hope the fan base doesn’t destroy itself by personal conflicts after we finally caught the prize. Of course, this is, 2/3 times, caused by the discussion straying away from the topic of EarthBound, which is defeating the purpose of the comment section. As for the book, I await it’s arrival on my local Barns and Nobles shelves.

misterdigi35 said on Jun. 9, 2013

@ APPLE KID

I’m all for keeping the discussions about EarthBound. Which is what my original comment was about if you want to take a look. What I’m not for, Apple Kid, is comments from the peanut gallery, which I believe these threads have been home to more than any arguments. There are many people on here, who love to hear themselves talk, and make pointless comments that are either (A). NEGATIVE or (B) UNRELATED to EarthBound. But most of the time is a perfect combination of the two. I hope you aren’t bothered by me defending myself from a very negative,offensive and un-related to EarthBound comment by a previous poster, because that would be kinda high and mighty of you don’t you think? I’m sure you might feel the same way if someone took a crack at you. But I very MUCH agree with you. The threads have been home to some real uneccesary comments, but I don’t agree that they’ve all been arguments. Some have, but the real one are usually made by folks either bashing something made by and earthbound fan (i.e. the video made a few threads ago with the music, or this book). Negativity is all over the place, and that’s what I think needs to change. Don’t you think?

adelinax said on Jun. 9, 2013

>I hope you aren’t bothered by me defending
>myself from a very negative,offensive and un-
>related to EarthBound comment by a previous
>poster, because that would be kinda high and
>mighty of you don’t you think?

Wow, seems Jason really hit a nerve with his abhorrent, insult-filled comment that was clearly and fully directed at misterdigi35, belittling his honest profession:

>How many people in Los Angeles AREN’T
>“actors”? Y’know, just not hitting their big
>break yet…

You show him misterdigi35, when anything that can be construed as an insult is mentioned I am glad to know that actors are there to make the most dramatic of the situation.

But actually what I wanted to come here to mention is that I’m pretty disappointed in the fan movie by manyhearts on indiegogo from last year that gathered nearly all of the requested funds but never really bothered to let us know if they are actually working on it or not or what the deal is (yeah, I’m not going to listen to hours of their podcast to try to figure it out. An update or two via indiegogo is would be neither difficult nor too much to ask).

Jason said on Jun. 9, 2013

Just an offhand, stupid comment, which came off as rude. ^^ No offense intended, and I apologize.

misterdigi35 said on Jun. 9, 2013

@ adelinax

No problem. Glad I could be of service to you. You’re very kind and good natured for noticing. Thank you for your understanding, and of course, your genuine positive attitude.

Thank you for further proving my point that folks seem to come on here and bemoan their disappointment in fan made works of this beloved game rather than being grateful for them. You’re wonderful.

@ Jason

Thank you. I appreciate it. I accept your apology. I’m very sorry if I overreacted. Please accept my apology.

Ken Baumann said on Jun. 10, 2013

Hey folks!

Just wanted to clarify a few things: I’m already deep into work on the manuscript, and excerpts will show up soon.

I want to write a book that honors the game, its fan community & fervent supporters, and its creative origins. And, most importantly, I want to produce a book that will be interesting to a large audience—in order to bring the most light onto a masterpiece and an aesthetic experience that’s very important to me.

As far as the cover design goes: to each their own! Can’t please everybody. Gabe and I are happy with it, and we hope it sparks enough imaginative fire for fans of the game while also intriguing total strangers—so if it looks a little sparse, that’s fine by me!

Again: I’m working hard on this, and can’t wait to get it out there and into all of your hands, if you choose to support Boss Fight.

Either way, thanks for your attention.

Yours,
K

FlyingManCourage said on Jun. 11, 2013

I agree with Plok. Kickstarter has gotten out of hand.

As for the book, I’ll reserve judgment until it is finished. It’s going to be inevitably compared to the Anthology that Reid and Co. made. You’ll really have your work cut out for you being in that shadow. Of course, you have the benefit of having more hindsight now.

Shannon Carr said on Jun. 11, 2013

An Earthbound book? Hmmm…. wonder what they’ll be like if they publish them for real.

Eddie said on Jun. 26, 2013

This is cool, I’m a fan of ken baumann’s work. His writing, never seen his show. I love books, I love EarthBound, and Ken’s novel solip is freaking awesome so I’m down for this.

Giygas said on Jul. 7, 2013

I’ll have to see the opinions of people on this site that get this book before I decide to get it or not.