Winters in Smash Bros. Brawl
A fan by the name of broomweed has started on a hack of MOTHER 1+2 to make MOTHER 1 very Mr. Saturn-like, as inspired by comments years ago on EB Central! Here’s a description of the project:
Hey, you! Do any of the following apply to you:
- Haven’t played Mother 1 because of the lack of Mr. Saturns in it
- Always wondered what the Mr. Saturns would be like in Mother 1
- Love trying to decipher what the Mr. Saturns are trying to say
If you answered “yes” to any of the above, then, um, that’s pretty weird. But your prayers have been answered! SaturnBound Zero is a text/cosmetic hack that adds ONE HUNDRED PERCENT more Mr. Saturns to MOTHER 1+2!
And here are the features:
- A surprisingly handsome recreation of the Mr. Saturns and their font in 16×16 and 8×8, respectively
- Changes human NPCs are into Mr. Saturns, with various features to differentiate them (sometimes)
- Changes dialogue (so far, in only Mother’s Day and some of Magicant) into a Mr. Saturn-sounding style.
- Accounts for weird shifting of the bottom half in some — but not all — NPC sprites, so they don’t look weird and off-kilter
- Accounts for up-and-down motion in player sprites (this is why their feet look so weird, sorry)
- Changes a couple of item names and descriptions
- Changes some of the battle text
- Changes the ATM to look like the Mr. Saturn ATM (kind of)
- Changes PSI into “science” (because, you know, the Mr. Saturns are good at that…)
There’s still a good amount of work that needs to be done, but you can check out the current version and keep up with progress here!
Other Related Posts:
22 Comments to SaturnBound Zero Hack in Progress
- 10N45: @BusterTheFox Looks like “Reggie” did a great job mocking his company’s customers. I’m sure many people found out...
- DarklingDragon: Time sure does fly. I spent some time this week playing Earthbound on the virtual console.
- MysterySprite22: These are really cool. I wish I could have these. I don’t have any EB merchandise. I just drew pictures. That’s it.
- Mallowack: he’s right you know. the game’s a slog to start, it was designed to be simple (drawn by a child), it throws the creepy at...
- N7Kopper: @WVdUde Movements and treaties for a videogame series release worldwide? Sorry if I’m raining on people’s parades here, but I...