May 8th, 2013 | Audio Stuff, MOTHER 1

Skotein sent me this e-mail a while back and it sounds like a pretty neat project!

Hi, Tomato! I’m a big fan of both Pokémon and MOTHER and have been running the Pokémon Reorchestrated project on YouTube and Facebook. Basically, I orchestrate and arrange music from the Pokémon games with emphasis on weaving a game’s story/narrative into the music itself. I’ve also enjoyed the success of having my first full-length album, ‘Pokémon Reorchestrated: Kanto Symphony,’ reach the top 25 best-selling albums on the iTunes charts in all categories. (here’s a preview of the album)

Right now I’m trying to get feedback on whether or not enough people would want to hear beautifully orchestrated versions of music from MOTHER 1, which is one of my favorite soundtracks of all time (*especially* the dreadful 80’s vocal arrange album). If there’s enough of a demand, I would like to hold a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for hiring a.) an actual orchestral ensemble to play the music, and b.) a local children’s choir to sing the iconic ‘Eight Melodies’ theme.

I was wondering if you might be able to help me get the word out–I’m currently gathering Likes over at my personal Facebook page, but I figured it might be more effective to go straight to the MOTHER/EarthBound community and ask them directly. Any help is sincerely appreciated!

~Skotein

P.S. Attached is a piece of MOTHER fan art I drew about 4 years ago that I’ve been using to promote my post on Facebook, which may or may not also be used as an inspiration for the album cover.

mother1

I think the 80s soundtrack has its own charm, but it’d definitely be cool to hear something more orchestral too, especially if it sounds like that Pokemon reorchestrated album!

42 Comments to Interest in an Orchestrated MOTHER Album

Iamsotired said on May. 8, 2013

I love his pokemon reorchestrated and I would absolutely love to see his new work on MOTHER.

And I might give some money to hear it :v

WhatsHerFace said on May. 8, 2013

I’d love to hear an orchestrate Mother album.

But is it bad that I actually really liked some of the vocal arrange stuff?

Zup said on May. 8, 2013

Count me in! I have his Pokemon album already, and Mother would be a welcome addition!

Erwin said on May. 8, 2013

Man, I like his idea, but why rag on the vocal album? I think I liked every track except the more strange than interesting funk/rhythm/sex version of Fallin’ Love. At the very least, it’s the only game vocal arrange album I’ve heard that wasn’t Takenobu or terrible.

LakituAl said on May. 8, 2013

“Dreadful?” The vocal arrange!? That thing’s amazing!!

Anyways, staying on topic, the re-orchestration would be great. Fun times will be had by all. : D

The Great Morgil said on May. 8, 2013

If i had any money, i would totally donate to this. I loved the Pokemon album and would love to hear another for any game.

DelectaBit said on May. 8, 2013

I’m honestly not sure if I’d be interested since I didn’t particularly like his work with Pokemon Reorchestrated. I’m big fan of orchestrated music. But his arrangements just seemed weird to me, I dunno. I was excited for his Pokemon project and I ended up just being disappointed with the final product.

Anon said on May. 8, 2013

Paradise Line off of the vocal album is amazing, just sayin’.
Anyway, I would certainly like an orchestrated album like that, though I would lack the money at the moment to contribute to the project (I’m more a fan of hard rock music than orchestrated stuff anyway). Still hope that it comes to be though.

kenisu said on May. 8, 2013

I’ve dreamed of having orchestra arrangements of the entire MOTHER series ever since I fell in love with Shinji Miyazaki’s work on the Pokemon anime, wherein a music producer selected tracks from the games and had him arrange them for orchestra. The result was easily the best-sounding collection of arrangements for a video game I’ve ever heard (excluding the AG battle themes, which he took an underwhelming, synth-heavy approach to).

And that’s sort of the problem: Where Miyazaki’s work maintains the “kick” of the original material (and sometimes adds a kick all its own, like his killer, heroic arrangement of the Gym theme), too many remixes and orchestrated video game arrangements, both fan-made and official ones, drop the ball and lose that same kick in translation. More often than not, it has to do with being too strings-heavy, such as using strings where brass or some other section should be. Also, sometimes the original track will have a back-beat that isn’t represented in the orchestrated version.

I haven’t heard this fan-reorchestrated Pokemon album yet, but I’ll be sure to give it a listen. If I like what I hear, I’ll definitely see what I can do about contributing to a kickstarter for a MOTHER album. But only if I know it’ll stir my blood the way Shinji Miyazaki or Ron Jones’s work does. I take my tunes very seriously, so it just breaks my heart all the more when music fails to live up to my expectations (for example, if I don’t feel that rising sensation at the opening notes of “The Caves Of Mt. Itoi”, as well as a head-bobbing, toe-tapping beat throughout, color me disappointed). Here’s hoping my cynicism is unfounded!

Jdaster64 said on May. 8, 2013

Yes, yes, and yes. MOTHER’s soundtrack is one of my all-time faves. I can’t wait to hear orchestrations of the “building” theme and Mt. Itoi Caves.

I totally agree with Kenisu, btw; too many “orchestrations” of video game music end up pretty devoid of beat, but from what I’ve heard of Skotein’s work, it seems to retain the punch of the original.

Jdaster64 said on May. 8, 2013

Also, not sure whether or not he’s slamming the vocal album; to me, it seems like he’s admitting it’s cheesy but that he likes it anyway. I share his sentiment, if that’s the case. An orchestral cover of “Flying Man” would be interesting, come to think of it.

Sam said on May. 8, 2013

WAIT, another NEW Mother soundtrack for iTunes…done in America…which could possibly also garner more popularity, and maybe even get peoples attention on the top selling charts like the formentioned Pokemon orchestrated soundtrack.

Good, I could use some more Mother on my iPod!

David B. said on May. 8, 2013

MOTHER Reorchestrated? Do it, skotein!

lucki_vibrato said on May. 8, 2013

Adam said on May. 8, 2013

I would be behind this all the way. Show me where to throw the money!

EBisumaru said on May. 8, 2013

Well, there’s a video game orchestra budding out of the protoplasm of the Gamer Symphony Orchestra… they might be willing to play it, depending on the timeframe.

superness1995 said on May. 8, 2013

DO IT! DO IT NOW! lol but seriously. this would be really cool. the idea of a children’s choir singing 8 melodies is amazing. also could we get some earthbound reorchestrated too? please? maybe?

superness1995 said on May. 8, 2013

oh and i know that in the album they have a choir singing 8 melodies, i just think that the fact that he’d get a choir and do it again is amazing.

Krennthief said on May. 8, 2013

I’d flippin’ donate! With what little money I have left, too! MOTHER 1 had my favorite music of the entire series, and I’m liking the sound of this Pokemon re-orchestration.

TinFoilHats said on May. 8, 2013

yes… YES!!! DO IT!!!! I WOULD DONATE IN A HEARTBEAT!!!!!

Kelsyjones said on May. 8, 2013

I loved his Pokemon album, so this would most likely be amazing!

MachineCoil said on May. 8, 2013

An orchestrated MOTHER album would be awesome. The Pokémon album sounds amazing, except that I’ve played Pokémon before but not Gen I, and it’d be great to listen to arrangements of songs I actually recognize. …Also, a double/triple album with music from EarthBound and Mother 3 too would also be nice.

Nintendork said on May. 8, 2013

I love it when something like this happens. I have waited so long for an orchestrated MOTHER album. The official ones are great, but they dont have the love of a fan album. Please do this!

64RR said on May. 8, 2013

Beautiful, just beautiful! 😀

johnr754 said on May. 8, 2013

This would be awesome, so awesome.

pk_stan said on May. 8, 2013

I would kickstart the crap outta this!

Permafry_42 said on May. 8, 2013

In a word, YES.

Rhyselinn said on May. 8, 2013

In multiple words, YES YES YES YES YES YES YES! 😀
This should be a thing. Imagine if all the songs in the Mother series could sound like that ZREO Giygas Theme that was up here! Please, please let this be a thing!

LLK said on May. 9, 2013

(A) I would definitely love a Mother project. I’m a huge fan of Pokemon Reorchestrated!

(B) This is the part where I beg to do cover art for such a thing, haha.

(C) If this happened with a live orchestra and choir, I would flail around like Kermit the Frog. I know this is greedy of me, but I’d also love for Smiles & Tears and We Miss You to be bonus tracks if this happened. Seriously, can you imagine those two songs orchestrated? It would be amazing.

Douche Mcallister said on May. 9, 2013

Oh ya.. I remember seeing that picture.. I like it! 🙂
I feel that’s a really good interpretation of how gyigugy…iguyuu…..ig…u..(gi?) looked.
He’s creepy and not so “mewtwo-ish”.

OSK said on May. 9, 2013

so…do I just give you my wallet now, or later?

Clowkero said on May. 9, 2013

I Don’t Know how to feedback on this but I Would love to see it (Hear it) MOTHER 1 Needs LOVE

le-voyage-violet said on May. 9, 2013

My funds are pretty limited, so I don’t know if I’d be able to contribute to a Kickstarter, but I would definitely be interested in hearing the results of a project like this – especially if it included versions of “Wisdom of the World” and “All That I Needed Was You.”

WheatThinEthan said on May. 9, 2013

I would go for it just for a Paradise Line orchestrated version!

Pep said on May. 10, 2013

Yes please! I would love to hear your take on an orchestrated Mother 1. Especially “Wisdom of the World.”

Z said on May. 11, 2013

I absolutely WOULD LOVE a Mother orchestrated album!

K. said on May. 11, 2013

Do it, please.

Anonymous said on May. 12, 2013

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYEYSEYSEYSYEYSYEYSEYSYESYEYSEYSES PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSSEEEE!!!

Mattesp said on May. 14, 2013

As a fellow fan of the terrible 80s vocal tracks, yes. Yes please.

Mio said on May. 15, 2013

YE#SSSS HGMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGG
YES PLESE.
*Ahem*

Yes that would be fabulous. Very Fabulous. Mhm. You should do it

cosmodos said on May. 23, 2013

Perhaps it’s just my experience as someone who’s studied traditional orchestration, but I’m not that impressed by Skotein’s work.

Timcurry123 said on Jun. 28, 2013

Heh…Hehehe…. Yes… Oh my, yes…. Ha, hahaha…. Take my money…. Take ALL my money! Here, take it! Take my wallet! Take my car! Take my Social Security card, my driver’s license! TAKE IT ALL! Take whatever you need, just take it! Hahaha, hahahah…. HAHAHAHAHA!