May 6th, 2013 | EarthBound

Capture

I don’t know why, but for some reason EarthBound for the Wii U is up for preorder on Amazon.co.uk here. I figured it was just someone outside of Amazon selling something fake, but it says it’s dispatched and sold from Amazon, so I don’t know.

I really have no idea what to make of this other than that it has to be some sort of mistake… right?

Does anyone have any thoughts/insight? Is this sort of mistake common on Amazon sites?

27 Comments to EarthBound Pre-orders on Amazon.co.uk?

Earth Saturn said on May. 6, 2013

Probably a mistake on Amazon’s part.

Mutaharu said on May. 6, 2013

It could be a code to download the game, I know GameStop has them for some 3DS eShop games.

dimo2 said on May. 6, 2013

I kind-of expected Nintendo to milk the fans dry by releasing it retail instead of just on VC, but anything over 30€ just seems way too overpriced for a simple ROM.
Sure, the fans will probably buy it anyways, but it’ll be hard to convince “normal” customers to buy a full-price game that basically came out nearly two decades ago…

On the other hand, if this is indeed not a mistake by Amazon, it would probably mean that Earthbound will get a release similiar to Super Mario All-Stars on Wii.
Heck, I’d happily spend 60€ on a collectors Edition re-release on Earthbound, along with extra material and a reprint of the strategy guide!

FlyingManCourage said on May. 6, 2013

I think I said this before but I wouldn’t be surprised if they charged much more than a typical VC game for this title. I was thinking $20-$30 but it wouldn’t surprise me if it was more.

On a related note, all this type of stuff is getting me excited!

Stuffgamer1 said on May. 6, 2013

That HAS to be a mistake…there’s no way Nintendo is going to charge 45 pounds for the game! Besides which, the Nintendo Direct announcement for the game clearly said Virtual Console, so I don’t see even Nintendo being stupid enough to turn around and force a physical package on people.

For the record…I actually WOULD be surprised if Nintendo had the gall to charge extra for the VC release. They’ve been quite strict with standard pricing in the past (I believe All-Stars was on disc specifically to get around that), and I just can’t see them breaking that rule, no matter how highly sought-after the game in question is.

Only other possibility…this listing is actually for a trilogy pack. THAT would be worthwhile…but I wouldn’t get my hopes up. Overall, I’m going with “mistake.”

FlyingManCourage said on May. 6, 2013

Trilogy pack!??!!!?

Yes please.

DJMankiewicz said on May. 6, 2013

Amazon and other suppliers will mistakenly list digital-only items from time to time due to a lack of proper research beforehand.

I’m almost certain that’s all that has happened here. Feel free to continue asking Nintendo for that trilogy pack, this most likely isn’t it.

Iamsotired said on May. 6, 2013

I would be so incredibly psyched if they put it on a physical disk… I would then be buying a Wii-U AND the game :v

Anon said on May. 6, 2013

It’s a mistake. How do I know? I don’t, but since they also list Super Luigi U (which is a DLC for NSMBU), it is highly likely.

Anonymous said on May. 6, 2013

I don’t think this is a mistake. They might be releasing it in physical form. The price seems way to high for just a download, and since the preorder is listed by Amazon they must have gotten some information on it.

Covarr said on May. 6, 2013

This is pretty typical for Amazon. Their own terms pretty much say that between the listed preorder price and the actual sale price, the customer pays the lower of the two. For example, if they list it for ten pounds and it costs fifteen, they will honor it at ten.

By setting the price so high, Amazon is protecting themselves from their own policies, because they have no clue yet what Nintendo will charge. It’s probably a download code, and it will probably not be over 15GBP.

KAMINA said on May. 6, 2013

that is all, remember to fight the power

DJMankiewicz said on May. 6, 2013

Personally, I wouldn’t like it to be on a disk unless they had some amazing packins. Something like a reprinting of the original Player’s Guide, the sound track on CD, and maybe a short letter from Itoi himself. If it is just “the game, but on a disk”, well frankly I’d rather just play the download. The game itself would only take up a few megabytes, plus the code for the emulator.

Nintendork said on May. 6, 2013

I’ve seen a lot of foreign amazon branches do this, but if it is real, I would pay a lot (and I mean like, $150-$200) for a well thought out, jam packed special edition.

Permafry_42 said on May. 6, 2013

If this is a collector’s edition like some have speculated, I’d buy it day 1 even if I didn’t have a Wii u yet. I’m going to email Nintendo customer support and see if I get a response on whether it is a physical copy or a mistake on Amazon’s part. If its a mistake they’ll probably say right away. I’ll leave another comment when Nintendo responds.

Plok said on May. 6, 2013

More that likely a mistake. Amazone has become somewhat infamous for having pre-orders for games that don’t exist/or can’t be pre-ordered.

Coreyback said on May. 6, 2013

Since this is Europe’s first time to be able to buy Earthbound, I think it’s fair they should pay the original price (£45 is about $69.97, via Google).

Hukky said on May. 7, 2013

@Coreyback: what

CoreybackWhat said on May. 7, 2013

Huh ? What did you just say ? holy s**t …

nem said on May. 7, 2013

99.9% sure this is a mistake, they’ve listed digital items before due to stupidity.

Max_H said on May. 7, 2013

Probably a mistake. Amazon makes it possible to pre-order all sorts of stuff long before there’s an official release date.

Coreyback said on May. 7, 2013

Evidently the intended absurdity of my comment was lost without some kind of emoticon… I don’t actually think Europe should be charged a premium price, and this listing is clearly inaccurate.

Basically, if Earthbound is intended to encourage WiiU sales, then it should be sold at the same price as any other comparable VC title. Or, even better (like the Japanese VC), as a loss-leader. But, I’m assuming it will just be priced normally, thus this listing is just some Amazon weirdness.

Permafry_42 said on May. 7, 2013

I got a response from Nintendo Customer support:

“I’m afraid this information has yet to be revealed. At this time, we have only announced that Earthbound is scheduled to be released on the Wii U’s Virtual Console. We do not have additional details as to when or how this game will be distributed. Therefore, I will be unable to answer your question.”

Sounds like a no to me, but you never know since they acted the same way about Earthbound about a month before it was announced.

BusterTheFox said on May. 8, 2013

Very interesting, this. My first instinct was to write it off as a mistake. But, as some people have fantasized about here (I really don’t think it’ll happen, I’m happy that it’s coming out at all, haha), having an on-disk “collector’s edition” would be way too awesome. I would buy it instantly, the moment pre-orders actually opened up for it. And I mean ACTUALLY opened up for it, now a silly Amazon mistake. xD

BusterTheFox said on May. 8, 2013

Poor webpage, though. If it were a person, it would be so depressed, what with everyone calling it a “mistake”. “You’re useless, webpage, you’re nothing but a mistake!”

Haha… Just another tired thought from me.

jesus's cousin said on May. 9, 2013

might be a little stretch too actually think they would release the trilogy consider VC earthbound coming our way still, either way it is something to look foward to no doubt. Could see them doing it at some point should things pan out after earthbound is out on VC for us.

Haha said on May. 10, 2013

No, it’s not a mistake, you morons.

You can buy games like Mario RPG for the virtual console on Amazon, and some games for the PS3 equivalent.

Nintendo likes to make money, guys.

– Bucky.