Shigesato Itoi, Giygas, and Boobies
May 14th, 2013 | EarthBound
A little while back Chris Saturn sent me this about a podcast episode centered around EarthBound:
So, I’m a long-time lurker in the EB community… been following this site since its inception (thanks to the links in the Mother 3 translation page), and Starmen.net for what feels like my entire adult life and some of my adolescence, but I never really gave anything back… mostly because I don’t really have any talent… <_< Anyway, this feels dirty, and self-promotional, but a podcast that I'm a member of recently did an episode that was (mostly) all about Earthbound. My co-host told me we were doing it, I prepared some notes (mostly from memory... <_<), and jumped right in, only to find out that he'd never played the game before... I did my best to spend the better part of the next hour convincing him as to WHY he needed to play the series. However, I'm sure I got something wrong somewhere... Anyway, I feel dirty trying to submit a story about a podcast that I myself contribute to, but I'd love to hear what the Earthbound community at large has to say about my argument, and if they have any better suggestions that I could use in the future in trying to spread the love, and recruit more soldiers in the Earthbound army. Podcast page
Even if you don’t post this, thanks for taking the time to read it. I don’t think people can thank you enough for your hard work here, and on the Mother 3 translation, but, thanks again anyway.
I feel like trying to convince people to play or do something new is usually a tough task, whether it’s playing EarthBound or trying some weird food or whatever else. The best method in my experience is to simply nudge people to try something or give them an idea to try something then let them try it at their own leisure on their own. So I try to avoid going, “DUUUUUDE YOU GOTTA PLAY THIS GAME CALLED EARTHBOUND!” or “HOLY CRAP YOU GOTTA TRY THIS (insert whatever here)!” I mean, I used to be like that, but it rarely worked 😛
So, what are your experiences with this sort of thing? What’s the best way to convince people to try something without scaring them away or over-hyping it? What about EarthBound, specifically? Is there some way to convince people to try it out without hitting them over the head with a baseball bat? Share your thoughts in the comments!
Other Related Posts:
45 Comments to Convincing People to Try EarthBound
- Leeaux: I’m going to eat this all the time now. You could have posted this recipe and I probably wouldn’t have touched it. But you...
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?