April 16th, 2013 | EarthBound, Itoi

After a few weeks of silence, Shigesato Itoi made a couple new posts on the Wii U’s MOTHER 2 Miiverse today:

food Just popping in to take a peek. I just finished eating lunch. Stewed Hamburg steak.
soon The Revival Festival is going to end soon. But the game will continue on. Forever.

The MOTHER 2 Revival Festival ends on the 18th – after this, MOTHER 2 won’t be available for download on Japanese Wii Us. I assume it’ll be put back up eventually, but probably not for a long while. I also partly assume that after the 18th Itoi won’t make any more Miiverse posts either, but I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

If you want to see all his previous Miiverse posts translated into English, check out the page I made here!

27 Comments to Shigesato Itoi’s Miiverse Posts #6

man said on Apr. 16, 2013

Sadly, this will probably be the most involved Nintendo will be with the Mother series for a while, until the next Smash Bros.

CaptainCab said on Apr. 16, 2013

As I commented in the news post from April 12 now that the dust is settling on Mother 2 Miiverse wise now would be the time for U.S. and other region fans to start possibly begin thinking and brainstorming about starting some kind of effort towards making our wish for EB’s VC release elsewhere more vocal to NCL (because as has been discussed before, petitioning NOA is probably a complete waste of time and resources at this point)
? I really like the “postcards to Iwata” idea that Mato mentioned. I really think we need to start striking while the iron is still hot.

The Great Morgil said on Apr. 16, 2013

I like hamburger steak, but stewed? Is that a japanese thing, cuz i usually just grill the sucker.

CaptainCab said on Apr. 16, 2013

^^^^

I dunno, maybe stewing/boiling is the Kosher way of making steak? 😀

Come on, folks! I say it’s time to start organizing and letting NCL know other regions want the game once the full Wii U VC service officially kicks off.

Mato said on Apr. 16, 2013

Great Morgil: It’s pretty common in Japan and is a sort of fancier way of making it: http://tokyokawaiietc.com/archives/8484

CaptainCab: If you say it’s time to start organizing, then start organizing! 😛

CaptainCab said on Apr. 16, 2013

I’m all ears, if you have any suggestions on where I should start, I’m pretty green to this sort of thing 🙂 How would that “Postcards to Iwata” plan work? Pretty straightforward mail petition basically?

Chivi-chivik said on Apr. 16, 2013

If you make something so we can get EB on VC I’m participating!!
Europe NEEDS to know this game!

Anonymous said on Apr. 16, 2013

It’s worth noting that every game on the Wii U VC Trial Campaign is being taken off the eShop temporarily, not just MOTHER 2.

The pessimist in me says that MOTHER 2 won’t come back on the eShop even in Japan, and that the only reason they even put it on there is because it would only be for a limited time, and even though they could still get sued, the game would be taken off the VC by the time the copyright holders could finish going to all the trouble to do so.

But the optimist in me says that if it succeeded in renewing Japanese interest in the series, it at least puts MOTHER 1 and 3 one step closer to a rerelease, and I think they would probably be localized as long as the rereleases aren’t straight ports.

64RR said on Apr. 16, 2013

Since no more Japanese posts would be on Miiverse for Mother 2, if we post now on that and only that section of Miiverse, Nintendo would actually see the posts a lot more clearly.

Megaton said on Apr. 16, 2013

I hope people keep sending Itoi and Iwata some drawings for Earthbound around the world, so at least they take notice. I am sure they have though.

Because i have noticed there has been a weird trend lately that Western gamers in the U.S are getting tired of the good ol FPS and looking for unique Japanese style games.

Especially when Xenoblade Chronicles 400k sold U.S with no advertisement at all whatsoever,The Last Story did as well and also Pandora’s tower is also going to sell well to(look on Amazon’s best selling on the WII platform), even some of the older games are looking to be ported over to the U.S and Europe(due to a article i read about Iwata talking about localization of Japanese games for Western audiences.)

It should come as no surprise that the movement to bring games back from Japan to the U.S and other countries is starting to rise. I am certain Nintendo and Iwata are in a desperate situation with poor sales of the WII-U Console(With the 3DS outselling WII-U 3-1 if i am not mistaken) and they will most likely take some risks and and are probably going to do some surprising things about it down the road to get the WII-U’s sales up. But we must keep the effort up, i am willing to put in the effort as well.

64RR said on Apr. 16, 2013

I say only that part of Miiverse cause posting somewhere else is actually hurting other gamer’s experience of said games.

Anonymous said on Apr. 16, 2013

Earth Saturn said on Apr. 16, 2013

@Anonymous “Wait, will people who downloaded the game still be able to play it after the 18th?”

Tourist said on Apr. 16, 2013

I don’t think it disappears from the eshop. It just stops being on sale for 30 yen at that time, I think.

Mato said on Apr. 16, 2013

No, they do disappear from the eShop – Fire Emblem and Balloon Fight are both temporarily unavailable right now.

Stuffgamer1 said on Apr. 16, 2013

Same thing on American Wii U’s, too…Balloon Fight and F-Zero are unavailable for purchase at this time. I suspect they’ll come back when the “full” VC releases…at least, that would make SENSE, but there’s been no confirmation on that point.

Justin said on Apr. 16, 2013

Worth noting Nintendo has a Nintendo Direct tomorrow, Kirby’s Adventure hits Wii U tomorrow, there’s a spring Wii U OS update due this month and Virtual Console details set to come this spring. It’s possible that tomorrow we’ll get the proper Virtual Console roll-out, or we may at least hear some news.

PSIpunky said on Apr. 16, 2013

The promotional games will not be available for some time until the VC system is integrated on the Wii U. Even then, it depends when the games go up for download again, at the normal price.

With that said, I’m alittle disappointed with this revival festival. I honestly thought it would be something more than just a one month event. Why mention a revival of the “Mother” series when only Mother 2 was rereleased?

My hopes rely on E3 for something to happen. If nothing is mentioned in the least about Earthbound for the west, then it can be put to rest for more years to come.

Midna said on Apr. 16, 2013

Earthbound on (English) VC would be great to see, but what I’m really hoping to get is a(n official, there’s been a fan translation for a while now) localization of Panel de Pon for the Virtual Console, because Lip is the best Nintendo character and if you deny this you are lying to yourself.

FlyingManCourage said on Apr. 16, 2013
KingMike said on Apr. 16, 2013

Unlikely. Nintendo wouldn’t give us the GameCube version, even as Tetris Attack/Puzzle League had become a proven franchise.
As awesome as 4P Panel de Pon. It was so awesome the GameCube couldn’t comprehend it’s power! 🙂

Tourist said on Apr. 17, 2013

Itoi posted again. I wish I could read japanese. The man is very strange and charming!

2Sang said on Apr. 17, 2013

EARTHBOUND FOR VC NOW BY END OF YEAR!

Hejiru said on Apr. 17, 2013

Earthbound just announced for US and UK Virtual Console!!!

Prince Mercury said on Apr. 17, 2013

Yes!!! Earthbound!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!

I’m so excited!

Thelostrune said on Apr. 17, 2013

I
I
I
I died.

? said on Apr. 18, 2013

It’s funny to read the dread comments before the NA/Europe announcement, ha ha ha! This is truly the end of a dreadful EB era.

Never say never and don’t cry until the end!