MOTHER 2 Gyiyg's Counterattack w/Poster Game Book Novel Japan EX10*

April 30th, 2013 | Itoi, MOTHER 4

Yesterday, for some reason, Shigesato Itoi started doing an advice column sort of thing on his Twitter for a short time. You know, something like where people would say, “My dog is hungry. What should I do?” and then he’d give a reply, oftentimes a silly one.

Well, a couple people happened to ask MOTHER-related questions, so here they are!

Capture

QUESTION: Mr. Itoi, I love the MOTHER series. Is there any way you can get it on the 3DS?

ITOI: Out of my jurisdiction.

Capture2

QUESTION: Please tell me how we can get Mr. Itoi to make MOTHER 4.

ITOI: Impossible.

Although these are mostly silly answers, they should come as no surprise by now. He’s said for years and years that he’s not going to make a MOTHER 4… And then I think he’s said that MOTHER 4 is the player’s life. And then I think he’s said that MOTHER 4 is Animal Crossing. I don’t know what to think anymore 😛

30 Comments to Shigesato Itoi Gives Online Advice

Poe said on Apr. 30, 2013

MOTHER 4 is my life in Animal Crossing. I can get behind that~

Reficul said on Apr. 30, 2013

Animal Crossing? Mother 4?!

I’m completely okay with that.
I mean, it’s not like I had nothing better to do today than listen to comforting music while doing 10,000 miscellaneous task for a bunch of lazy animals in my town to get the money to pay off my debts to a monopolistic raccoon.

resetsurvivor said on Apr. 30, 2013

Now we can put all the ‘3DS Mother Compilation’ speculation to rest.

DelectaBit said on Apr. 30, 2013

I don’t understand why people keep asking him about Mother 4. He’s pretty much guaranteed, time and time again, that he’s never going to make it.

JamesBond007 said on Apr. 30, 2013

Is there any way to contact Shigesato Itoi and Masahiro Sakurai via e-mail address? I have questions involving SSB4, Ness and Link (my favourite hero) to both of them.

Iamsotired said on Apr. 30, 2013

Mr. Itoi how can I pronounce my undying love to you?

FlyingManCourage said on Apr. 30, 2013

I’ve never played Animal Crossing. Can it really be considered close to a Mother title or is that just a joke that’s flying around over my head? I just don’t see it.

How old is Itoi? Is there any chance he starts to get sentimental in his old age (especially considering he’s only recently discovered Mothers’s massive popularity outside of Japan) and decides to make a new one for old time’s sake?

DelectaBit said on Apr. 30, 2013

I think there’s two big reasons he doesn’t plan to make Mother 4. One is a lack of inspiration, not having any more ideas for another game. Two, I think it’s because the development process of Mother 3 was so difficult for him.

Vukadin said on Apr. 30, 2013

@FlyingManCourage

Animal Crossing is a game series VERY similar to Harvest Moon, in the whole “Live the laid back life” thing. Essentially, if you played Harvest Moon, you’re this human character in a world of animals. You befriend animals, pay off your debt from an evil racoon and enjoy a peaceful life. That last part is what makes it so similar to Harvest Moon. You have all these festivals and celebrations, changing seasons, moving neighbors, big variety of furniture and lots more. You also plant trees, dig fossils, go fishing, dress your character, etc. If you liked Harvest Moon, you’ll like Animal Crossing.

I think what he meant was that since Animal Crossing is somewhat quirky and silly, it’s the sequel to Mother 3. I don’t get it either, but he does apparently.

Kuwanger said on Apr. 30, 2013

Well, while I’d presume the Animal Crossing comment is a joke, I’d point out at least two major similarities. One, Animal Crossing is very retro in graphics, aiming a lot more for simple cuteness instead of a focus on hi-res models or whatever–although that probably has more to do with Nintendo recycling models from the original N64 version and doing cheap “upgrade” versions every few years (so, in that respect, very much not Mother like). Two, Animal Crossing is very much an RPG. It’s just an open-ended RPG. After all, the whole idea of a Role Playing Game is to play the role of someone else. Yet, in many ways, you take part in Animal Crossing as yourself in a strange world you’re thrust into. By the same token, in most RPGs, you heavily empathize with the main character and I’d say for the Mother series this is especially true–yea, not perfectly true since you end up being a third-party integration in Mother 2 and it doesn’t resolve the issue of females playing a young boy…

Overall, though, I’d almost say it’s a comment of wisdom. People play games like the Mother series to play a role in a fantasy and be the star and accomplish great things. And I’m certain that Itoi wanted to make the Mother series precisely so others, including himself, could live out that fantasy. Yet, you can live out that fantasy by, well, living out that fantasy in real life. 🙂 But, if nothing else, you can play something like Animal Crossing if you really want to play a video game.

The Great Morgil said on Apr. 30, 2013

Lol, i love how a bunch of big-name news sites are reporting this as “Breaking News: No Mother 4”, when anyone who frequents this site already knows that Itoi has already said long ago he has no desire to do a fourth game.

Vukadin said on Apr. 30, 2013

@Kuwanger

You have the definition of RPGs wrong. I play RPGs frequently, and I almost NEVER roleplay. RPGs are games where you have this character and you level him up: as he levels up, he gets stronger. No amount of roleplay involved, the roleplay thing is purely up to the person playing the game. I personally have no such desire, and like to be me. Others might share a different opinion.

FlyingManCourage said on Apr. 30, 2013

It seems that I had the correct general idea of Animal Crossing. I’ve only played a tiny bit of Harvest Moon DS but it seemed fairly enjoyable. It might made me curious to check out the other entries in the series. I suppose I will definitely have to check out Animal Crossing now.

I just want Itoi to make another game of any kind. No Mother 4? How about Itoi Shigesato Bass Fishing #1: Tournament Edition? 🙂

nintendofreak said on Apr. 30, 2013

Id actually would like a complilation, maybe if they did it for wii u with updated graphics and such, along with original versions of the game, that be pretty awesome. maybe we should ask iwata

Mariotti said on Apr. 30, 2013

Well, I guess you could say that a lot of players life IS Animal Crossing!
Budumtiss!

Co-Wink-Key-Dink Inc said on Apr. 30, 2013

@resetsurviverWhen he said “Out of my jurisdiction”
He means he can’t do it, as he cannot litterly publish the MOTHER games on 3ds because Nintendo does that.
It could also mean that its out of his control.
Or he is not allowed to by law, or from the company

64RR said on Apr. 30, 2013

I’m good with the trilogy as it is now :)! I do want a remake of Mother 1 to improve its graphics a little.

BusterTheFox said on Apr. 30, 2013

@ Mariotti
I’m surprised, because I understood exactly what you meant by that “Budumtiss” thing.

I think the Animal Crossing thing is a joke. It works out though, since he said before that our lives are Mother 4. And since Animal Crossing is essentially a “life simulator” and still a video game, one could reason (only on a very logical and unemotional level, mind you) that it is a worthy continuation of the Mother series. xD

As for how the series is looking now, I still hope EB does well and that gets the first and last games onto the VC. I’m hopeful that Mother 3 will end up on the Wii U VC eventually. But yeah, I’m looking forward to EB on VC and the fan-made Mother 4. Pretty much nothing I’ve seen of that one betrays my expectations of the series. Granted they haven’t revealed much, though. The music and graphical style are spot-on, though, so as long as the story (They assure it’s great) and battle system is good, I’m set. And I’m sure the battle system will be good. They have a new mechanic where your PP meter also rolls down, like your HP, when you use PSI. If it’s still rolling down, you might be able to pull off another PSI attack, even if you normally wouldn’t be left with enough PP after your last attack. I think I’m going to enjoy that mechanic.

MrKoopan said on Apr. 30, 2013

If it makes any sense, I always thought of animal crossing as mother-related even though it totally isn’t, the quirky world and top down view though, it has the same feeling, always has

only peaceful

Reficul said on Apr. 30, 2013

Hell, maybe Itoi is just a fan of Animal Crossing.

LarryCuke said on Apr. 30, 2013

If Mother 4 is out of the question, I’d like to see Mother 3: expanded 3D edition with stuff cut due to GBA specific limitations. Or at least dream about it. Sigh.

Iamsotired said on May. 1, 2013

@LarryCuke- Mother 64 3DDS

Chivi-chivik said on May. 1, 2013

Don’t worry people, someday, and I mean SOMEDAY Nintendo will have to make a MOTHER compilation if they want to keep this series alive… and a bit known.
SSB series can’t do that job.

Mother 1-3 on 3DS said on May. 1, 2013

Itoi didn’t say no to a Mother 3DS compilation, just “out of my jurisdiction” so we might still have a chance at seeing it.

bobsburgerking said on May. 1, 2013

Shenme is mother 4.

Mato said on May. 1, 2013

Great Morgil: Yeah, it IS kind of crazy how so many sites are reporting on this but are missing the context of his tweets altogether. If I were Itoi I’d be confused to see how it become such big news. I was actually confused how my own Mother 3 thing the other day wound up such big news. I guess it’s just the season for everyone to report every bit of Mother series news 😛

OSK said on May. 1, 2013

Honestly, saying that the rest of the player’s life is mother 4 is really satisfying. It basically means that, as long as the player is alive, the mother series will be alive, and it’s the best way to Guarantee that every player has a title unique experience…very clever itoi, I approve.

Vukadin said on May. 2, 2013

But what about Mother 5? The life of the children of the player?

FlyingManCourage said on May. 2, 2013

Don’t lie, Mato. We all know this is part of your secret plot to take over Nintendo.

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on May. 2, 2013

On the subject of Mother 4…Itoi wants to be the player.

Find Merchandise!