Random Post:

Show Time Pollyanna

April 25th, 2013 | EarthBound

Yesterday, a press release from Nintendo announced some corporate reshuffling due to various people retiring. One result of this is that Satoru Iwata has been named the new CEO of Nintendo of America.

This, by itself, isn’t really an EarthBound-related news tidbit, but it’s also really cool to think that the main programmer of EarthBound is now in charge of NOA 😯

I guess another common question out there might be: What does this mean for EarthBound fans? Do you think this increases the chances of any more MOTHER stuff getting released outside of Japan? Or will things sort of stay the same in that regard? I’m curious to hear what other fans think!

EDIT: Just to be clear, Reggie was and will remain COO of NOA.

40 Comments to Satoru Iwata Named Nintendo of America’s CEO

Arturo said on Apr. 25, 2013

SO I guess Reggie Gyigas is not blocking the way of Mother anymore.

megamegaman247 said on Apr. 25, 2013

Does this mean that Reggie is out? If so then the EB community might pull off another miracle!

Zup said on Apr. 25, 2013

Reggie’s COO, so his job is safe guys.

DelectaBit said on Apr. 25, 2013

From what I can tell, Reggie’s position hasn’t changed since he was never the CEO. The guy Iwata is replacing is Tatsumi Kimishima.

Stuffgamer1 said on Apr. 25, 2013

Well, their press release said this was part of a new global strategy, and they also said they plan to publish more Japanese games in the West. So pending EarthBound doing well, I think the chances are better than ever for the rest of the series to escape the island nation.

Plok said on Apr. 25, 2013

EB Central, can you please do some sort of article on Reggie? I mean, it’d be nice to come here and read some actual comments about your content without this slew of “gr, I hate Reggie so much, he hates Mother” comments. I mean, for all I know, he could have some vendetta against Mother, but that seems very unlikely; they’rd be no reason for it, and there’s been no evidence that he would.

Mato said on Apr. 25, 2013

What do you have in mind?

In my experience most fans and readers know Reggie isn’t at fault – most of the time I see fans joke about him being the scapegoat rather than genuinely blaming him.

Straw Hat Gamer said on Apr. 25, 2013

I think now that Reggie has stepped down there is less of a “middle-man” to cycle through what gets brought over to the West? I think this will do a lot of good for Nintendo’s marketing, especially with how the Wii-U has been doing and the need to bolster their sales.

Straw Hat Gamer said on Apr. 25, 2013

Also Nintendo just announced that they’d be putting GBA titles on the Wii-U Virtual Console. Not trying to get my hopes up about it but with the announcement that Earthbound is coming this way, who knows?

blahmoomoo said on Apr. 25, 2013

Mato: you might want to clarify that Reggie is the COO of Nintendo so he’s still there, as two people have already gotten that confused in the comments.

And being the face of Nintendo of America, there are people who make him the scapegoat, as two people have already done so here. I guess the way to counter that is have an article on his real responsibilities, but I don’t think that’s something to post on EBCentral.

Prayer For Safety said on Apr. 25, 2013

I think this will help our chances, as long as EarthBound does well on the WiiU VC.

JesusLovesNess said on Apr. 25, 2013

When I read this article I heard the all too familiar “bah bah bah bah bah” noise we hear in Earthbound when a new ally joins The Chosen Four. I believe that Iwata might be the ally we need to see the EB hopes that we all have come to fulfillment 😉

Max_H said on Apr. 25, 2013

Iwata assuming this new role probably increases the chances that the other MOTHER games would see an American release. That said, it’s no guarantee; Nintendo will still make its decision on the strength of whether or not EarthBound on VC exceeds expectations.

Halloween said on Apr. 25, 2013

I guess it might help? Who was in charge of being on the receiving end of the campaigns? If it was the CEO then maybe the last guy personally didn’t care for Earthbound, and Iwata will be like “Americans want Mother? Why haven’t you gave it to them?!”

Anonymous said on Apr. 25, 2013

The Apple of Enlightenment has predicted that the year 2013 would bring sudden joy and suprised to the Earthbound fanbase. The best might still be yet to come.

Anonymous said on Apr. 25, 2013

There’s no possible way this can hurt. I mean seriously, I challenge you to show me how this can, in any way, be a bad thing for EarthBound and for the MOTHER series as a whole.

Is it wrong of me to hope that his English improves. I mean, if he’s going to be the a bigwig for Nintendo of AMERICA, I’d like him to be seem more comfortable speaking in English. Wait let me count how many languages I speak…oh yea just one. I guess I should stfu.

Giggleface said on Apr. 25, 2013

Reggie was never the CEO of NoA. He was the president and COO. Tatsumi Kimishima was the previous CEO.

Tourist said on Apr. 25, 2013

Yeah, Reggie is still president and COO of NoA. And Iwata is still the main president of Nintendo… So even layed out like that it’s hard to know what responsibilities Iwata has absorbed.

Also, it’s funny how Iwata specifically made an announcement for Earthbound whereas Reggie made the special one for Link to the Past 2. It would have been even funnier to see Reggie be the one to announce Earthbound, citing it’s going to happen despite my best efforts to stop it…

Douche Mcallister said on Apr. 25, 2013

@ JesusLovesNess
Exactly what went through my mind too! Lol
(Trumpet sounds) “Iwata joins your party!”

Jim-Bob-Joe-Bob-Frank said on Apr. 25, 2013

Although Iwata may have been a main guy during the creation of EarthBound, I have a feeling that him being NoA’s CEO means nothing for the Mother series. It’s all about business; just because the main programmer’s now the head of the company doesn’t mean that there’s any higher chance of re-release. The only chance of re-release would be if EarthBound does exceptional on the Virtual Console and Nintendo wants to continue that success with the other games in its series.

lucki_vibrato said on Apr. 25, 2013

I guess that Reggie hates Earthbound, Tourist.

PSIpunky said on Apr. 25, 2013

Maybe we should look at some questions…

Who was a main programmer for Mother? Iwata

Who acknowledged the fanbase on Miiverse? Iwata (apart from Itoi)

Who made the announcement that EB is coming to the Wii U VC? Iwata

Who is now CEO of Nintendo of America? Iwata

Who has said they would like to see more Japan games getting released for the west? Iwata

It may not lead to Mother itself, but the bridge is building for it.

Earthbounder said on Apr. 25, 2013

Id say this is a good chance for mother 3 now that Iwata just became Nintendo of americas ceo. Also Nintendo just announced that GBA games will be put on the Wii U! Now if only Mother 1 had its chance… ;_;

Iamsotired said on Apr. 25, 2013

I like to think that Earthbound being globally VC’d was part of this whole thing.

I love their global effort. Seriously, I might even be more excited about Dragon Quest 7 3DS (Still not confirmed- mind you) coming to the US than anything else.

Plok said on Apr. 25, 2013

@Mato. Anything. Just so we can stop the jokes/unjustified blame. Is that something that we really want associated with Earthbound? Even in joking, it’s getting old. I’m sure anyone on this site would hate to be the president of a company,doing your job, just to be the ass of every joke on this site.

Bass said on Apr. 25, 2013

Things from really bad to really good so fast, its amazing!

FlyingManCourage said on Apr. 25, 2013

@Plok. I will happily be the ass of every joke on this and every other site in order to be a COO for Nintendo. Just saying.

Midna said on Apr. 25, 2013

“they plan to publish more Japanese games in the West”

Panel de Pon? 😀

(Wishful thinking but still)

BusterTheFox said on Apr. 25, 2013

@Midna: puzzleleague.webs.com! Nice to see a fellow fan. 😀 You do realize that Tetris Attack was the severely localized version of that game, right? There’s also a translation patch for the original SNES game on the site I linked to. I only just so happen to run it, it’s totally not a shameless plug. Of course, I’d like to see any new Puzzle League/PdP news, too. It’s kinda been like EB lately, not a lot os happening with it… Same with Advance Wars… Intelligent Systems is just focusing too much of Fire Emblem and Paper Mario, you know, the popular games it has! xD

On the topic, though, I’m pretty surprised to read about this. I think the chances are already great since EB is coming. I have no clue how sales will go, but if I could buy two copies, I would. I think it’s gonna go well and the other two are gonna get released in the West. I dunno, this, and then Mother 4 finally updates? April 2013 is a good month for EB fans. B)

Gaffer Tape said on Apr. 26, 2013

I’m a bit confused. This seems like a sidewise move, at best, for Iwata, and certainly not a promotion. Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t he the president of Nintendo Co. Ltd.? Yamauchi Hiroshi’s replacement? Seems odd he’d be moved to CEO of an overseas branch of the company…

NecrosaroIII said on Apr. 26, 2013

He’s still CEO of NCL. He’s the CEO of both NoA and NCL

Someone said on Apr. 26, 2013

Wait… WHAT?!

KyoZaber said on Apr. 26, 2013

Congratulations to Iwata on his promotion.

I hope the additional responsibilities won’t be too overwhelming for him, whatever they may be.

It’s always awesome to see him reaching out to fans in both regions with his Nintendo Direct videos. 🙂

Anonymous said on Apr. 26, 2013

Iwata is president and CEO of Nintendo of Japan, not really a promotion…

FlyingManCourage said on Apr. 26, 2013

Taking on another title is typically considered a promotion.

Queue said on Apr. 26, 2013

This certainly cannot hurt Earthbound’s chances. That’s for sure.

ejruss25 said on Apr. 28, 2013

REGGIE’S BODY IS STILL READY

-PSIcicle- said on Apr. 29, 2013

Well, it’d be interesting to see what kind of decisions he’ll make in regards to the American market now that he’s in a more direct position to be addressed by such.

Anonymous said on Jun. 6, 2013

A lot of good Iwata said for Nintendo that’s a bunch of crap he has dun a lot of bad for Nintendo like the 3ds and the wii and the 3dsxl and the wii u he is like the wrong choice for a CEO of a game company he don’t even know what is a game cnsole is , the wii and the wiiu is like a fisher price cheep toy that is $100.00. Over priced pece of hollow plastic with yesterday”s technology

Chris said on Jun. 21, 2013

Wow really messed up 18 damn years my nieces are all grown up I still have my Earthbound SNES games as well as the Mother Collection in unfortunately Kanje text Japanese! Iwata need’s to get off his hindend by now and quit being greedy and release that collection/Hin Hint Mother Collection in America by now so Satoru Iwata? ENOUGHS ENOUGH! Cheers! I don’t care what release it on but I prefer on my DS!