Random Post:

PSI Piano Omega

April 10th, 2013 | Audio Stuff, EarthBound

One of my favorite things in EarthBound is the final battle song that many fans have dubbed “Pokey Means Business”. It’s been remixed and redone in all sorts of ways, but I think I just discovered my all-time favorite one here:

Absolutely amazing job! For reference, here’s part of the video description:

Produced by Lauren Henry
Arranged and Orchestrated by Wayne Strange
All Guitar by Jake McCoy

So, basically how this went down was that back at MAGFest, Wayne was like, “Yo, Jake, I need you to do some crazy hard core metal for me.” And I was like, “Aight. I can do that.” And a few months later Wayne sent me the first half of the song, orchestrated and sounding beautiful, and I proceeded to infuse the piece with the heaviest of metals.

But in actuality, the reason we did this piece is because Lauren Henry, being the amazing person she is, was the top backer of the Twilight Symphony Choir Kickstarter. One of the awards for doing so was being able to produce a piece of their choice via Zelda Reorchestrated. Lauren chose her song, and Wayne enlisted my help, and here it is. 🙂 Lauren, I know you gave me permission to upload the song to my channel, so I hope you really like the video!! 😀 And for everyone else, enjoy!

There are a few more details in the description too, so if you’d like to know more, check out the actual video’s page here!

13 Comments to Porky Means Business Orchestral / Guitar Cover

Earth Saturn said on Apr. 10, 2013

Such an epic cover. I love remixes like this!

Mortiis said on Apr. 10, 2013

Pretty cool, although I can’t help thinking that with such a great sounding orchestral part, the song would have benefited from better guitar playing. The guitar part is adequate but somewhat lacking in character.

joe said on Apr. 10, 2013

best part of this? the giant mario 3ds AR card in the background of the guitar bit. most giant AR cards were just the ? one for mii snapshots and summons mr. ar in the character snapshots

west_haven said on Apr. 10, 2013

I know I’ve always loved this piano cover:

Rhyselinn said on Apr. 10, 2013

Man, when you said your favorite cover of all time, Man! I thought you were exaggerating when you said “favorite cover.” But then I listened, and holy crap! This was done by Zelda Reorchestrated! No wonder it kicks butt B) What an excellent arrangement! Nice choice, Lauren Henry 😀

It’s really sad that they’re shutting down- they did some great stuff. I always privately wished they would make a Mother Reorchestrated soundtrack. In a way, that wish has been fulfilled with this track. 😀

Thanks for everything, ZREO. *salutes*

OSK said on Apr. 10, 2013

The ending to that was awesome! well done 😀

Hukky said on Apr. 10, 2013

Eh, I’ve heard better.

One thing that annoys me about most remixes of this song (including this one) is that they tend to use electric drums in the metal part. The crazy acoustic drumming in the original is an essential part of the spirit, so using electric drums makes the song feel a bit dull and empty.

Vukadin said on Apr. 10, 2013

I usually don’t like anything that fiddles with someone’s original work, but this was surprisingly good.

That guitarist isn’t very good though, he needs more practice.

Jason said on Apr. 10, 2013

Great cover!

Saggy said on Apr. 11, 2013

Hopefully I can do a cover of this song soon. Got a right mic, but my friend needs a lot of mics for his drums. He’s a great drummer, so I hope he adds his own mix into it. Gonna try my best to make a good sound with the guitar. Also, I make sure all my covers are 100% accurate. I learn my songs by ear. Tabs aren’t always trustworthy.

Right-hand Assistant said on Apr. 11, 2013

Nice work! They really captured the “final showdown” feel of this piece.

I personally find the guitar performance rock solid. I wouldn’t change a thing.

TinFoilHats said on Apr. 14, 2013

Song remixes like this make me wanna see an EarthBound movie.

Wayne Strange said on Apr. 17, 2013

Thanks guys! The Mother series is one of absolute favorites, so it was a lot of fun to be able to arrange something from it.