April 20th, 2013 | MOTHER 3

Today marks seven years since MOTHER 3 was released… Man, I say it every year, but it’s crazy how it’s already been this long 😯 It feels like just yesterday we were all jumping up and down with excitement every time Itoi updated the MOTHER 3 preview site.

I actually would’ve completely forgotten about this year’s anniversary if it hadn’t been for this Japanese tweet:

mother3tweet

Basically, a bunch of people who worked on MOTHER 3 got together to have a little celebration. Also, the newest issue of Nintendo Dream apparently has a small article about this get-together and has some behind-the-scenes developer stories of the game. If anyone can get a scan, let me know!

Also, since the whole EarthBound on Wii U stuff has everyone excited, a lot of people are wondering how possible it might be for MOTHER 3 to get released on the Wii U Virtual Console eventually too. I really, really doubt it will have any effect, but I posted an offer to Nintendo to have free use of the MOTHER 3 translation text resources if it’ll help in any way. You can read about that here.

Capture

In any case, since this is MOTHER 3’s anniversary and all, if you have any spare time today, give it a play! It’s amazing how well the game holds up even though it was two handheld generations ago 😀

53 Comments to MOTHER 3’s 7th Anniversary

Yorkshire Gold said on Apr. 20, 2013

Seven years? I suddenly feel very old.

FlyingManCourage said on Apr. 20, 2013

Great job Mato! I think the “Offer to Nintendo” is perfectly stated and well put together. I am really rooting for you on this one not just for the joy of having an official Mother 3 release, but also to see such an honor bestowed upon you as I have a reasonable idea of how much work you’ve put into so many different things in the Mother series. As I told you in that private message the other day, I am sure glad we have you, bud!

Let us rejoice in our recent glory and remain hopefully optimistic of the future! EarthBound Power. Word.

JB2448 said on Apr. 20, 2013

The thing is, Ys: The Oath in Felghana is an XSEED-published game, and they’ve already published two Nintendo-co-developed games in America (which Nintendo published everywhere else), so, well, add two and two together. What if XSEED could publish Mother 3 in America somehow? Of course, that still leaves out Europe. I haven’t thought that far yet.

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Apr. 20, 2013

It’s totally ignorant of me to say this, but the GBA is *definitely* dead.

If an international release does happen…

JB2448 said on Apr. 20, 2013

I should add the addendum that I don’t even mean on the original GBA; if they could coordinate something with Nintendo to publish it either on the Wii U Virtual Console or, perhaps, on 3DS eShop in some form, that could be more than enough.

LucasPSI said on Apr. 20, 2013

For me it’s been about 4 years since I found out about Mother through brawl so… Happy 4 year anniversary MOTHER 3!!! 😛

LucasPSI said on Apr. 20, 2013

since I found out about Mother 3 4 years ago…

Apple Kid said on Apr. 20, 2013

7 years of tears everyone! This is awesome/heartrending.

Warpstar said on Apr. 20, 2013

I don’t see why it’s “not likely”. Nintendo IS bringing GBA games to the Wii U, so… If they wanted to finally bring MOTHER 3 over here, this would be the time to do it. I almost feel like that might be why EarthBound is being released on the Wii U. This is the perfect time for them to introduce the series here, just like Reggie kept saying.

Midna said on Apr. 20, 2013

Not 100% sure if Nintendo’s going to take you up on your offer for a variety of reasons, but it’s good that you’re puttin’ it out there.

…damn, seven years already? That means Mother 3 was released when I was 11 and I pitched a fit over the fan translation when I was 13. God way to make me feel old Mato D:<

PsiWolf674 said on Apr. 20, 2013

Oh, are you still gonna release the English 1.3 patch? It’d be interested to see what lines would be fixed and such!

Anyways, happy birthday, Mother 3! I’m actually listening to its soundtrack and making something special to celebrate the occasion. It’s still hard to believe it’s already been 7 years…

Ness1985 said on Apr. 20, 2013

Happy 7th Birthday! Such a special game.

PK Rockin said on Apr. 20, 2013

I’m finally going to play through the game and beat it. Chapter 1 and 2 yesterday. Chapter 3, 4, and 5 today. Chapter 6, 7, and 8 tomorrow.

[…] […]

Iamsotired said on Apr. 20, 2013

Good guy Mato.

Welp- time to play good old M3

Permafry_42 said on Apr. 20, 2013

@PK Rockin

I’m deeply ashamed to say that I still have to complete Chapters 7 and 8 of Mother 3. When I got to Chapter 7, I became significantly distracted thanks to playing Ni No Kuni and trying to 100% the game (for me it is the Earthbound of this generation). Hopefully I’ll be able to finish both Ni No Kuni and Mother 3 off by the end of this week =D

MagikoopaMaster said on Apr. 20, 2013

happy birthday to one of my favorite (if not favorite already) games of all time!!!

Anonymous said on Apr. 20, 2013

You should really find a way to fix Duster’s combo glitch for the next patch, should you ever release one. Maybe something for the fifth anniversary?

Sat said on Apr. 20, 2013

IGN just made the translation offer as a front page story. Now that Nintendo seem to be listening, maybe we’ll get some sort of answer on the issue.

NPC said on Apr. 20, 2013

Now that Nintendo seems to be taking its fan requests and concerns seriously, it could totally happen! Do you think someone could Tweet a link to Itoi or even get it out there on the Mother 2 Miiverse?

Kit said on Apr. 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I finished a play-through of the game last night without even realizing about today ><

FlyingManCourage said on Apr. 20, 2013

Kotaku also has an article about the offer:

This may have been perfect timing to bring this up, Mato.

FlyingManCourage said on Apr. 20, 2013

Ugh, triple post. I promise never again. The IGN article states they reached out to Nintendo about the offer and will update the article. It’s at the very bottom.

I regret nothing.

PSY (PsiReaper) said on Apr. 20, 2013

^ Your sacrifice will never be forgotten, comrade…
—-

Anywaysss, I found out about Mother 3 when I started to come around this site. By then I spoiled myself with the information (which I regret till this day) and had a good time.

Prayer For Safety said on Apr. 20, 2013

Happy 7th birthday to Mother 3. I really can’t believe it’s been that long.

Great job with the letter to Nintendo Mato. You really struck while the iron was hot. Maybe Nintendo will release Mother 3 outside of Japan now. I could imagine how great of an honor that would be to have them use your translation.

This is already getting the attention of major gaming sites, and surely will get the attention of Nintendo.

Anonymous said on Apr. 20, 2013

Would it be a good idea to post about this on the Miiverse, write letters to NCL, or do something to try and help give this more attention?

johnr754 said on Apr. 20, 2013

That’d be quite nice if Mato’s translation was used if MOTHER 3 was ever released in America, considering how long it took for it to be released. Though some stuff might be edited (stupid-ass trap, bastard), it’d still be the definite translation.

Also, if Nintendo considers this, Nintendo can use it for free and without all the hard work of translating Mother 3. And with the memo pad, there could be a “Mother 3 International Version”. Of course, I’m just fantasying this, but it COULD happen!

pk_stan said on Apr. 20, 2013

Hey Mato, any thoughts on sending a physical letter or email to Nintendo regarding this?

pk_stan said on Apr. 20, 2013

I’m also talking about Nintendo in Japan and not just NOA. You never know, if they know that there is international interest, it may set the ball in motion for a re-release.

I realize that I am being super optimistic and unreasonable, but you never know.

girichan said on Apr. 20, 2013

I would love to play Mother3 on a real console.

Porky Means Business said on Apr. 20, 2013

Honestly, I think a 3DS release would make more sense than one on the Wii U.

Mr. Nosy said on Apr. 20, 2013

…be prepared to have the bad words removed, then.

Also, I have a feeling that they would keep the squid eraser thing instead of changing to the pencil eraser due to Nintendoo not necessarily keeping with changed timelines, but they would change the appearance of the Magypsies due to Nintendoo removing Birdo’s and Vivian’s transsexualism.

DrunkenKitty said on Apr. 20, 2013

When are we going to get version 1.2 of the fan translation along with the hacking tools?

Apple Kid said on Apr. 20, 2013

@Mr.Nosy Actually, Birdo’s situation was kept in the guide of the original U.S. release of Super Mario Bros. So, Nintendo may take the risk of a T rating by leaving that in. Also the game States they are neither man or woman. Regardless, this game isn’t coming to America without at least an E10+ rating, For Mild(?) Suggestive Themes, Partial Nudity, and Violence.

Leeaux said on Apr. 21, 2013

While it is a long shot, I appreciate you making such an effort for the fans Mato. Just offering to do that much work for free has me feeling like we’ve already won regardless.

Thanks a lot man!

Starmyster04 said on Apr. 21, 2013

Mato ign made an article about your offer! I saw it on their homepage this morning lol.

Starmyster04 said on Apr. 21, 2013

Oh looks like im late on that one lol

Metal202 said on Apr. 21, 2013

IGN sent a message to Nintendo about your offer Tomato

Pigmask No. 725886 said on Apr. 21, 2013

I think Mother 3 is more likely to see a release on the 3DS Virtual Console than the Wii U.

deshayzilla said on Apr. 21, 2013

I think it’s very likely that Mother 3 will get released on Virtual Console. After Nintendo sees the amount of money Earthbound will get them. I don’t think they’ll have any other option.

Anonymous said on Apr. 21, 2013

Don’t forget EB Zero. Thats a great game to.

Tourist said on Apr. 21, 2013

Nintendo has already stated they’re bringing GBA games too Wii U… so Motjer 3 is more likely to be on Wii U. Why they decided to use Wii U over 3DS? I have no idea.

Brandon said on Apr. 21, 2013

@Tourist 3 words “for ambassadors only”

Vukadin said on Apr. 22, 2013

Happy-past anniversary!

I was kind of late.

Erm, I think this would get a T rating regardless of changes. The story may be a bit too serious for little kids, unlike Earthbound.

[…] EarthBound more marketable to both past and future fans alike. I hope they feel the same way about Mother 3, which has a free translation up for grabs should Nintendo choose to use it. It […]

The Great Morgil said on Apr. 22, 2013

I know you first made that offer to Nintendo back when the fan-translation was first done, but yet it astounds me that a bunch of news sites are now reporting it as if this was some out-of-the-blue announcement Mato had just now decided to drop on us.

BusterTheFox said on Apr. 23, 2013

I got to thinking, the first time I heard that GBA games were coming to the Wii U, the first thing I thought was Mother 3. Of course I quickly erased that thought from my head and moved on. But now that EB is coming out, I wouldn’t find it all too surprising… Also alongside the original, I think, since NES games are in the mix, too. Although clearly they aren’t planning to fix the crazy naming thing, haha. Well, I guess they could be, but the chance is slim since they mentioned the name Earthbound in the actual Nintendo Direct.

Point is, if they DO want to use your translation, wouldn’t you want it to be the best it could be? I swear this is only halfway because I want to see more, but maybe you should focus on the M3 Legends of Localization for now, get it done, and make your changes. Just on that small chance Nintendo may take up your offer. >_>;

On an aside note, offer them your updated Mother 1+2 translation. xD Haha! Seriously though, I think somehow that Nintendo wouldn’t want to release a clunky version of a game if they were going to do so. After all, the EBZero we all know WAS only a prototype, even if we haven’t found a lot of bugs in it or anything. I think they would re-translate that one, too, were they to bring it over. If they have it all for free, well, it might make the chances that much less slim, yeah?

Just my two cents. o-o;

P.S.: Now you and Jeffman and Chewy and everyone else involved in the fan translation need to have a get-together when the anniversary of the translation comes around. xD And eat pizza while playing the game. Which reminds me, I’m TOTALLY buying a pizza the day EB comes out on VC JUST so I can eat pizza while playing. Although that may be hard with the big heavy Gamepad. I DO have one of those new SNES controller-shaped Classic Controllers… Maybe it’ll work with it. xD

Whoops, long comment is long again. I’m known for this long commenting business on tons of other sites… I guess I suck at condensing my thoughts. O_O

BusterTheFox said on Apr. 23, 2013

tl;dr cause I realized I totally need one:

Finish up the Mother 3 LoL notes first and make the changes to your patch so that IF Nintendo somehow accepts your offer, you can give them the biggest and best version!

Maybe also offer the M1+2 translation of EB0, since it WAS a prototype in the end after all, and maybe Nintendo would wanna re-translate it!

You and all the other Fan-translation team members need to do a get-together now for the translation’s anniversary, “XD” smiley face. Also, I’m going to buy a pizza when VC EB comes out because that’s awesome.

Long comment, I’m known for long comments.

AAAnd this comment is still pretty long, isn’t it? I feel like a spammer…

Matteomax said on Apr. 24, 2013

I hope we can get some of the merchandise to reach US shores. I’d love to win a Mr. Saturn plush from a crane game!

NintenNess said on Apr. 28, 2013

Just curious, are you still going to release the newest patch to Mother 3 along with the translation tools?

Mato said on Apr. 29, 2013

I don’t know yet – I haven’t figured out what I’m going to do. The original plan was that I was going to release a new patch and also release the tools. All sorts of things have happened since then so now I’m not sure what I’m gonna do.

NintenNess said on Apr. 30, 2013

Maybe I’m alone in this, but I’d love to get my hands on those tools (plenty of things to translate the game into!), plus the new patch would be nice 🙂