April 11th, 2013 | Hacking, MOTHER 1+2

A few years ago, while working on the MOTHER 1+2 translation, I made a hack that turned my custom Easy Ring into a Hard Ring. Reid then played the game live for everyone to see here. It was a lot of fun to see in action!

I realized that I never released a patch with the Hard Ring enabled, so here’s the latest build of the MOTHER 1+2 translation with the Hard Ring stuff activated. To use it, you just equip the Easy Ring like normal, except it makes the game much much harder:

test_06

You can download the IPS patch here!

If you’re interested, all the programming code and tools I used for my MOTHER 1+2 translation are available here. Even the programming for the Easy Ring/Hard Ring stuff is in there if you’re interested at seeing how it works or if you want to mess around with it yourself!

19 Comments to MOTHER 1+2 Translation Hard Ring

Globulous said on Apr. 11, 2013

With damage being done like that, is the game even playable?

Anonymous said on Apr. 11, 2013

^Probably not… With no one to revive Ninten at the point being shown, he’s just not going to win. I could see it maybe being somewhat playable with multiple party members that can revive, but that amount of damage is just ludicrous. Let’s ask Vegeta what he thinks.
“It’s over 9,000!!!!!”

David B. said on Apr. 11, 2013

That pic better not be from the final release, that’s unplayable!

Nesta said on Apr. 11, 2013

Is it possible to translate Mother3 with these tools?

Mato said on Apr. 11, 2013

One idea you can do if you want a challenge is don’t equip the ring until you have more party members, THEN see how well you can last against a mob of enemies or something.

Nesta: No, these are completely for Mother 1+2 only.

Anonymous said on Apr. 11, 2013

^True

EpicJackman said on Apr. 11, 2013

Dolls can hit 16341 damage?! They are playing with power, PORTABLE POWER!!!

Apple Kid said on Apr. 11, 2013

I could see this being a hilarious prank. “Hey can you help me beat the doll?” “Sure,” they reply. Ninten takes 16732 damage. :0

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Apr. 11, 2013

I can see this now.

“A preemptive announcement from Giygas Corp.! Forget WarMECH and the Sorcerors, we now have dolls that instantly nuke you for uncapped five-digit damage when your max HP can be three digits. Now only over $8 and your pitiful life!”

Gygadorf said on Apr. 12, 2013

Isn’t there a way to make enemies have final blows? If so, this would make for a good brutal mode hack. All enemies even coil snakes have final blows which can kill one party member at random. Sure would make a 4 enemy fight more interesting.

BusterTheFox said on Apr. 12, 2013

I remember hearing about this… As if Mother needed a Hard Mode. :) I happen to enjoy somewhat simplistic grind-fest RPGs (I seriously really meant that in a good way…), so I might actually enjoy this if it were toned down to playable levels. xD Like in my own RPG that I’m making, I include Easy, Normal and Hard Modes. Hard Mode seems impossible at first, but what you do is you take damage and then heal at the next town so you can build up your Limit Break attack. That lets you actually kill the enemies and gain EXP until you get to Level 2, 50 EXP away. And the enemies give you 5 EXP per kill. Heh! It was a great grind fest after that. I like grinding in RPGs. Nuff said. Although I still have yet to play Mother without the Easy Ring. Haven’t had the time or the means to. :(

Anonymous said on Apr. 12, 2013

Challenge accepted….need time to grind though…and not get obliterated by a doll in the beginning. :L

BreakingBenny said on Apr. 12, 2013

Wow, this could’ve been a neat piracy protection!

Jdaster64 said on Apr. 13, 2013

Seeing as 16341’s so close to half of 32767, or a quarter of 65535, one of which is likely the maximum enemy Offense, it makes me wonder what kind of documentation there is out there on EB Zero’s battle logic and formulas.

questionsleep said on Apr. 13, 2013

Haha, I remember this.
I feel like this was one of the last Actual Fanfests, even though it was an April Fool’s joke and the community botched together their own Mother fest at last minute.

First they did away with the
EarthBound Funkstastic GamePlay Summer
Then they turned it into the EarthBound Fanfest.
Then it got later and later in the year, every year, and finally, last year, there was no EB Fanfest at all :\
I kept asking about it on #earthbound but nobody knew anything.

SvenCreg said on Apr. 16, 2013

Does this version give you BOTH the easy ring and the hard ring? Or just the hard ring?

Mato said on Apr. 16, 2013

Actually, off the top of my head I’m not sure. It might have both the effects of the Easy Ring (more exp, money, etc.) while also having the super strong enemies effect. I’ve never beaten an enemy to find out, heh.

Vegeta said on Sep. 8, 2013

ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!

Ninten2401 said on Oct. 12, 2013

I’d love to put this on my bro’s ROM and see him get murdered by a Mr. Batty.