April 9th, 2013 | EarthBound, Videos

Now that all the craziness of the MOTHER 2 re-release has started to simmer down it’s time to catch up on lots of updates people sent in. I felt bad not posting stuff sooner, but it would’ve gotten lost amid the flurry of updates last month 🙁

Anyway, here’s something sent in by AngelArts!

Dear Mato,

Recently, my friends and I began an EarthBound Let’s Play walkthrough like no other we’ve seen before. In an effort to breathe new life into the game, as well as make it more accessible to a new generation of gamers, this special project is dedicated to having every character in the game fully voiced.

Over 40+ voice actors from different backgrounds and skill sets have come together for this collaborative effort. The volunteers include Let’s Players, Fan Dubbers, and fellow fans of the game from around the globe. They range from amateur YouTube viewers to professional voice actors at Disney. We even have music composers helping to write original lyrics for the Runaway Five songs so their performances can be sung as well.

In addition to any scripted dialogue that the main 4 protagonists might have, their respective VA’s and I have been scripting and recording original dialogue for the characters to banter all throughout their adventure. We hope that this will have them appear more lifelike than their default expressions let on.
We hope this LP will be a fresh and entertaining experience regardless of whether you are completely new to the game or have been a long time fan.

In my opinion, Earthbound is the best overlooked Super Nintendo game of all time; and I hope to increase awareness and renewed appreciation for this classic!

Here is the first episode:

Here is a link to the entire Playlist:

We all hope that the visitors to EarthBound Central will see some merit from our efforts and stick around to see this LP to its conclusion with us. We are seeking to create an entertaining experience that we hope is new and unique to all!!

Sincerely,
AngelArts

From what I’ve seen/heard it reminds me of a cross of an LP with Fobbies Are Borange, with a lot of its own unique flavor mixed in too. They’re up to the Mr. Saturn/Belch part of the game and still seem to be going strong. Check it out sometime!

56 Comments to Fully Voice-Acted EarthBound Let’s Play

Eh... said on Apr. 9, 2013

This seems less like it’s voice acted and more that it’s just people reading the script. I got bored far too easily.

Anonymous said on Apr. 9, 2013

Looks pretty neat.

Saggy said on Apr. 9, 2013

Looked at their youtube page and was already turned away, but I’ll still give it a chance.

Burglin Pork said on Apr. 9, 2013

Ness’s mom sounds like the mother from Bobby’s World….not sure how to feel about that.

Anonymous said on Apr. 9, 2013

Booty

Erikku8 said on Apr. 9, 2013

@Burglin Pork Yeah, it’s weird to me too. I just imagine her having a “neutral” American accent.

EpicJackman said on Apr. 9, 2013

I definitely stopped watching after Ness’s Mom, that Irish accent. I swear in Life Science we just watched a documentary on “Typhoid Mary” and her voice is so similar to Ness’s Mom’s voice. It was bland, and for a better, more comical, partially voice-acted LP, watch Player2PressStartLP. Seriously, they are hilarious!

Thedreaminghawk said on Apr. 9, 2013

I didn’t like it at first after hearing Tracy’s voice… But then I got hooked! Great find!

Jason said on Apr. 9, 2013

It’s an interesting idea, but their idea of “…recording original dialogue for the characters to banter all throughout their adventure.” seems to take too many creative liberties and comes across as… well, I don’t want to be rude.

I think the idea is sound, but would probably be better to do with a game that’s more dialogue driven (FFVI or something).

RobertHMayfire said on Apr. 10, 2013

Interesting, but the LP player’s voice kept distracting me from the voice actors reading the dialog. It is too hard for me to focus on a Let’s Play dialog colliding with a Voice Acted dialog. Feels like someone talking to me while I am trying to watch the movie. >_<

Douglas said on Apr. 10, 2013

hated it

aerobert said on Apr. 10, 2013

Nope, this was pretty horrible.

Vukadin said on Apr. 10, 2013

That was pretty horrible, no offence. If they have THAT much free time, they might as well go do something more worthwhile.

Sorry... said on Apr. 10, 2013

I have to unfortunately agree with everyone else. This is bad. Really. Really. REALLY bad.

Honestly, I think this is a case of people that have an incredibly ambitious idea and not the slightest bit of talent or ability to back up doing so.

First of all, for something touting itself to be “voice acted” this is not voice acting. At all. This is anything but “acting”. This actually makes the level of professionalism in games infamous for their terrible voice acting like Mega Man 8, Castle Shikagami 2, and the original Resident Evil actually sound like masterpieces. And those were just done by extremely untalented, interns and people laying around the studio offices who clearly have no emotion, no charisma, and have never acted or have any experience or talent in delivering a performance through the vocal range. And this makes those productions seem competeant.

This is just incredibly stilted, awkward, and extremely boring, unemotional lines delivered by random people who are reading poorly off a script. It’s clearly setting out to be something, and failing miserably at both intent and execution to the point where it’s actually quite painful.

Worst of all, aside from the incredibly poor “acting”, these guys doing commentary don’t come off as witty, interesting, informative, charismatic, or the slightest bit funny, though they are trying desperately to force the idea that they are.

This is just not well done at all, and I really don’t think this is a situation where giving constructive critisism would help out, even though, don’t get me wrong, I would like to.

There are just some ideas that are being attempted by people who clearly don’t have the talent or the natural ability to accomplish what they set out to deliver. I just don’t see the “voice actors” here as having any idea what they’re doing, and completely missing the point of what “acting” is, or how it’s supposed to work, and even as a typical internet Let’s Play, this is forced, awkward, hard to listen to, a bit more than aggravating, and just not funny or the slightest bit entertaining.

Look, I’m sure that the people putting this together are nice people and all, but this is just not working or coming across well at all. It’s a cliched saying, perhaps, but if ever the term “don’t quit your day job” applied, I think I can safely say it applies to this. I just can’t manage to drudge up any feeling of wanting to listen to this for any longer than the 11 minutes I could stand to put up with.

Hyper Voice Acting said on Apr. 10, 2013

No, don’t hold back folks. Tell us how you REALLY feel

QuestionAllTheThings said on Apr. 10, 2013

I’ve contributed a few voices to the project so perhaps my opinion is biased, but I’m not really sure why there is so much hate for this series.

It’s a bunch of amateur Let’s Players and voice actors having fun with a game they all love. It’s a homage, a tribute, and labor of love. It’s not meant to be a professional DLC or something. Personally, I think the level of quality is tremendous considering the shear amount of content added.

It’s one guy transcribing the games script, adding to it, playing the game and editing, on top of managing all the different people contributing their voices to the project. It’s pretty incredible.

At the very least, it’s a fun way to reintroduce yourself to the game if you haven’t played in a while. The dialogue was always funny, if only for it’s translation errors, but hearing it out loud keeps it fresh for me.

TL;DR Cut them some slack. It’s suppose to be fun.

Mecha Michaelis said on Apr. 10, 2013

I’ve contributed to this VA:LP even some of us such as I have to do improv to make things work. I may not a pro voice actor but I’m one of hell of a good one.
Angelarts has spent countless hours putting these videos together. Also we have two separate files for in game dialogue and original.
Angel and us voice actors that put our heart and soul into this LP you’ve only judged the book by its cover or video in this case.
Personally I think everyone that judge this shall wait until the final fight against Giygas for the grand finale.
We try and be original as possible… we are trying to make things better, don’t be judgemental.

Tourist said on Apr. 10, 2013

Wow, at first I couldn’t watch past the first 30 seconds of the guy’s intro but then I read the comments saying how bad it was and, ironically, made me decide to watch it in it’s entirety to see if it really is terrible.
First if all, I was able to was an episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force while they guy did his intro and STILL had to wait for him to name the characters. I mean, save that intro stuff for the written descriptions.
Anyways, I can’t even force myself to watch Ness find the meteorite. It’s long-winded at times, the “VA’s” are not fluent in their reads, and the formula of added dialogue to silent protagonists AND a player voice just does not work. Gotta be one or the other.
Sorry

AngelArts said on Apr. 10, 2013

As always, thank you everyone for your feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome, and I appreciate those of you who presented your opinions in a thoughtful and respectful manner.

Please understand that everyone in the cast are purely volunteers – virtually all amateur – who spent their time contributing to this project because they wanted to express their love for the game, enjoyed voice acting, or both. Anyone who wished to participate was given the opportunity to voice at least one character. So far, I am pleased to say that everyone has been given the chance to voice multiple characters.

On principle, I do not turn anyone away who truly wanted to give voice acting a try. To me, that was far more important than producing a “polished”, and more “professional” composition. That’s not what this project is all about. Rather, the purpose of this project was to share our passionate love for the game (which I believe we convey) and to have great fun while doing it. For me, that is what truly matters. That is what I use to measure the success of our efforts, and I believe we have succeeded in both.

I apologize that there are those of you who did not particularly care for certain aspects of our production. With any project, this is not meant to universally cater to all tastes. It was never my focus to do so, and again, that is not the main goal of the series. There is certainly a large number of people who genuinely enjoy the series, and if those are the only fans we ultimately have, I am still extremely proud of everyone who put in so much time and effort into putting this series together over the past several months. (And will continue to do so throughout the course of this year.)

I hope that regardless of your feelings towards the Voice Acted Let’s Play, you can at least recognize that we all share the same adoration for this wonderful gem of a game! Thank you again for taking the time to allow us to expresses our absolute love for Earthbound in the best way we could!

Sincerely,
AngelArts O:)

Anonymous said on Apr. 10, 2013

Cheers Angels Arts. Sadly, I think some of your other contributors need to realize that working hard on something does not guarantee critical success. While I admire you ambitions in this project, I think many fans have clearly spoken that it’s just not to their liking. I unfortunately, will have to include myself in that category. It’s not being judgmental. It’s being honest. I just don’t like this LP. I’m not enamored by any of the characters. The “acting” is amazingly annoying, the characters don’t fit, and you gave Ness a voice. Basically, you tried to establish an attitude and sound for a plethora of already beloved characters. You had to be prepared for the community to be dispassionate about it. You didn’t really think everyone was going to love this, did you? That was really naive if you did. The highest possibility was that fans weren’t going to like it, with all the ad-lib and “excessive personality” (read: over-acting VA’s). This was an extremely risky project to undertake and it seems some of your contributing VA’s weren’t prepared for this possibility. So you won’t be cut any slack. People don’t like it. They have good reason. You drastically adjusted the charm of a BELOVED game. If you didn’t expect this, you were naive.

Vukadin said on Apr. 10, 2013

@Sorry…

Talent means nothing, practice makes perfect.

@AngelArts

Sorry, I just cannot get myself to like it. Even after reading your comment, I still can’t quite like it. Despite the effort and ambition, it ends up being a bit too ambitious. Firstly, giving a silent protagonist a voice is NOT a good idea. Secondly, some of the voices are so bad… Words cannot describe it. They just don’t fit several characters, and the voice actors themselves are terrible as well. No emotion, no thought, everything feels so bland and vanilla. Thirdly, you CANNOT mix a Let’s Play with voice-acting in a video game. You either do one or neither. Personally I think you should have just stuck with voice-acting. And finally, custom dialogue isn’t a good idea either. It’s not fun to modify the work of someone else. With that being said, I appreciate your effort but this project is just too dull, in my opinion. I hope you understand.

Anonymous said on Apr. 10, 2013

@Anonymous

I don’t think he’s naive. Judging from his channel’s start date, he’s been around long enough to understand what the Internet and we who visit it are all about. It also seems like there are indeed quite a few people who are enjoying this series (whether they be fans of him, the game, or otherwise). The fact is that he’s doing it, we’re not and we can’t frankly deter him from that.

The actors are not all that great, the intro’s way too long, and I feel my disbelief being constantly unsuspended from the LP commentary over the voice-dubbing. I suppose that’s all I can say.

Hyper Voice Acting said on Apr. 10, 2013

Another thing, why are people so pissed about giving Ness a voice?

All due respect, it’s not like Ness has a well defined personality. In fact, he had NO personality. Which is why I enjoyed LuckyJack as Ness; he took what is essentially a one dimensional character and made it his own. It’s like how people complain when they see Mario portrayed “out of character” even though HE HAS NO CHARACTER (this coming from a big Mario fan)

Same could be said for a lot of characters in this game. I enjoy Earthbound as much as the next dude, but you have to understand a lot of characters aren’t all that well developed to begin with. That’s what the voice actors are doing, trying to add more depth to them. Whether we succeed at that or not we can argue about til the metaphorical cows come home, but that’s not the case.

A lot of us came into this knowing it won’t be the most loved project (maybe not the most hated though; that’s where a lot of the shock came from, people who claim to be disgusted by it) but we’d appreciate it if the criticism was more constructive than derogatory.

Anonymous said on Apr. 10, 2013

The reasons you give are exactly why it’s such a terrible idea to give Ness a voice. The same could be said if someone did an LP of GTA III and tried to give Claude a voice. The fact that Ness has so few spoken lines create a level of imagination among the players. After all, Ness is the main character and therefore the largest extension of the players themselves and their closest connection to the game. So you are basically taking everyone’s closest connection to the game of EarthBound and saying, “Here. This is how he sounds, acts, behaves, and thinks.” Terrible idea and it failed miserably.

The fact that many of you seem to think you have some control over the community reaction is absurd. This routine gets so old. Someone makes something related to EarthBound, sends it to Mato, he posts it, and then the people responsible for it get all upset when people don’t react they way they want. EarthBound is an EXTREMELY popular piece of art. You can’t just run around and slap whatever flavor you wish on to it and expect people to love it because it’s related to EarthBound. A lot of people seem to think that Mother fans will love and praise a piece of turd if it had an EarthBound sticker on it. Then they get all offended when people come along and say, “I don’t like this sticker. It smells like a turd.”

Hyper Voice Acting said on Apr. 10, 2013

No one ever said Jack’s take on Ness is the official, Nintendo approved version of Ness. This is just how Hark thinks Ness would act if he had a voice. Like how if you ever did a project like this, you’d probably have Ness less snarky and more innocent. It’s how you think the character would be, not how he actually is.

Take Batman for example: to a lot of people, Kevin Conroy (Batman: The Animated Series) is their personal idea of what Batman would be like. However a lot of people don’t agree with this. Some might think Michael Keaton (Batman ’89) is, or Christan Bale (the Nolan Batman films), or even Adam West. There’s no definitive version of a character. There’s always someone who has a different idea of how a character would be like. With silent characters, you have even less to work with. So of course you’re bound to change a few things.

And again we have no problem with people posting how they feel about it. However when some of you (like the dude who wrote the first essay post) outright slaughter us, calling us talentless hack who shouldn’t care darken the voice acting world with our filth, odds are we ARE going to take that not so plesantly

Vukadin said on Apr. 10, 2013

@Hyper Voice Acting

You have pointed out your own flaw.

The character known as Ness is left to be interpreted by the player, as stated by Itoi himself. You cannot just go slap a personality on a character and say “This is Ness”.

Batman is different as he is not a silent character, therefore there would be no way to interpret him on your personal view. Actually maybe there would be, but not on the level of a silent character. A silent character is a character you know almost nothing about. It is left up to your imagination how he sounds and what his life is like. Or even his personality.

Let’s take an example of Gordon Freeman from Half Life.

The character, like Ness, is silent and left for the player to interpret.

Now imagine someone just came in, slapped a voice and personality on him. Then forced you to play the game with those changes. How would you feel? While your interpretation is NOT official, it DOES in fact contradict how other people in the community view the character.

As I have said, a character like Batman and a character like Claude or any silent character are incomparable. One has an established story, with a personality and the other one is left to be interpreted by the players themselves. In fact, silent protagonists DO symbolize the players who are playing the game AKA the silent characters ARE the players themselves.

You’re basically forcing your interpretation of a silent character onto the audience, which is not a good idea. Especially if the silent character in question wasn’t even made by you.

I encourage you to continue the project, as you seem to have gathered some fans, but understand that criticism will always exist and nothing will change that. People just have different opinions, that’s all.

Hyper Voice Acting said on Apr. 10, 2013

I acknowledge that there’s going to be criticism

As long as people know the difference between giving critique and being derogatory, we encourage people giving it.

Gizmoipze said on Apr. 10, 2013

@Vukadin

Who’s forcing you to watch this? Also, someone kinda already has given Gordon Freeman a fan-conceived personality. It’s not official, no one is forcing anyone to accept it, but it does seem to be a popular web-series. Google, “Inside Freeman’s Mind” if you have not already heard of it.

Apple Kid said on Apr. 10, 2013

I stopped watching after they gave Ness a voice. The scenario here is similar to the Zelda cartoon and CD-i games: you gave the main character a personality, a huge no-no to fans of the game. This applies even more to silent protagonists. The beauty of them being silent is so you can insert your own personality. That and it’s NOT okay to add lines that aren’t there in a script that is already near perfect. Maybe Earthbound just isn’t a game for voice acting. I don’t mean to come of as pushy, but these, and the factors that others posted, should have been considered before any attempt was made to put the idea in motion. As my uncle, who works on making designs for oil wells, says, “an idea needs to be well thought out before acted upon, or else all you get is a disaster.”

Mato said on Apr. 10, 2013

I haven’t had the time to read through all the comments, but very briefly I see people against the idea of Ness having a voice. This is strange to me, though, as there are tons and tons of EarthBound comics and fanfics with Ness talking, there are video series of Ness talking (EB Saga, Ridgway Films’ EarthBound stuff, /earthbound, and more) and even plenty of audio stuff featuring Ness talking, including Fobbies are Borange. Ness talking in fan-made stuff is nothing new. I wonder if it’s just this unique combination of actual EarthBound gameplay + a voice that’s throwing people off.

I do think it’s a little odd having both the player and Ness in these videos, though, but it’s also nothing I’ve seen done before after all these years, so I give them points for trying something new.

Anonymous said on Apr. 10, 2013

Ok now that I see that nobody’s going crazy over it, like some other things I tend to not really agree with that people get upset over, i’m going to go ahead and be honest i said it looked neat before and that was somewhat true. It is a pretty creative idea, but I honestly don’t think it’s necessary. If you believe in the idea, then by all means, don’t listen to me and follow your gut, but if you do, I would possibly suggest to not have any dialogue added or changed, like Ness’ mom saying “don’t you know”. I really don’t believe that it’s going to have a big impact though in any way. Like I said, it’s not really necessary, Earthbound just doesn’t really need voice acting. Still, i admire that you could just decide to do something like this and put that much work into it. That also goes for Mato, Reid, and pretty much anyone who does anything that takes a significant amount of work in the Earthbound community, especially the people who are responsible for translating MOTHER 3 and the people that gave us the Earthbound Zero ROM.

Apple Kid said on Apr. 10, 2013

What I mean about Earthbound not being a game for voice acting I mean that you give the characters their voices. Like Pokey might be my annoying next door neighbor or Paula and Jeff might be my two best friends voices talking.

Bass said on Apr. 10, 2013

I think its cool.

Apple Kid said on Apr. 10, 2013

@Mato I agree. The gameplay + persona thing is throwing us off. Why? Because comics and cartoons not only giving life to characters but a new interpretation of the game as well. “But Apple Kid,” people start, “you just said people didn’t like the Zelda cartoon! Why are you contradicting yourself?” Well, that wasn’t an interpretation of the game rather than a… new storyline, if you will. Whereas this is trying to change the feed of a winning horse, to fix something that isn’t broken. In other words, their breaking a great formula rather than coming up with their own.

Vanasto said on Apr. 10, 2013

To me this was a disappointment – I feel like many people have coordinated their efforts on an uneven production that fails to meet the fandom bottom-line: it isn’t very fun or interesting to watch. I’m with the others who would prefer Ness to not have a voice, and to just voice-act the dialogue as it is without strange interpretations because this game’s dialogue is supposed to be heartfelt, lively, straightforward, and consistent. As a matter of fact, while coming up with the script, Itoi voice-acted the whole thing and had somebody take it down once the dialogue sounded just right. I think the only way something like this might work is if either one person does all the voice acting themselves, à la Itoi, with a wide range of voices and can breathe life into the characters, OR by utilizing a team of exclusively *talented* people to do that with (at least for the majority of characters) who are guided by a single director to give good and even performances, pronounce names correctly/consistently, and to do retake after retake if things aren’t great. This second method, which is the route this AngelArts LP chose to take, is far more difficult to coordinate and pull off well. That’s why I agree with others who think of it as an over-ambitious dud that’s frustrating to watch. This LP leaves me with the same feeling as when somebody makes a lousy adaptation (usually a Hollywood movie) of a great book/comic/videogame/whatever and ends up doing a disservice to the original. At any rate, I suppose it’s better that this is fan-made and nobody’s in it to make (or lose) money, plus it won’t get widely known so it’s less destructive to the original work… It’s also commendable that they’re following through and finishing something EarthBound-related that hadn’t been tried before, and having fun doing it. I gave it a try, and although it wasn’t my cup of Saturn Valley coffee, it beats seeing yet another Mother-themed 3D customized level done in some random game or another.

Tourist said on Apr. 10, 2013

Well, if you want constructive…. first off, cut the intro. Way too long and unneeded. Also, cut the player voice. Ness is the player. Mother is a strange world to be discovered by the player… so having a player’s voice (who is supposed to be a newcomer to this world) put’s Ness in an awkward position. If you have just Ness, then you have the creative freedom to make him a resident expert on all things Eagleland or have him become Harry Potter and discover the strange world around him.

Now, the NPC voices… they sound so unnatural just because they sound like they’re being read at the pace of the text display. I don’t know if the voices were recorded while reading while playing, but a script might help the delivery. Also, if possible, silence the ticking of the text in-game.

Vukadin said on Apr. 11, 2013

@Gizmoipze

No one is forcing me, however, I would not be able to give my own opinion if I haven’t watched it. They are technically forcing an idea of a character onto me that I disagree with.

I’ll check that out, but just because it’s popular does not mean that I interpret the character in the same way.

Paul said on Apr. 14, 2013

I wonder how they would pronounce “XXXterday”…

“Ex-ex-ex-ter-day”?

“Blank-ter-day”?

questionsleep said on Apr. 14, 2013

Amateurs creating something as-they-go (as opposed to creating and finishing a piece of work and putting the final product on display), pandering to their audience. Also, too much exposition.

hyper voice acting said on Apr. 14, 2013

@ questionsleep – How dare he try to explain the game to someone who probably has never played it before.

Anonymous said on Apr. 14, 2013

@Hyper Voice Acting

How dare someone not like your video. God forbid they have a legitimate reason for their displeasure. Stop attacking anyone who criticizes this work. Mato did not post it for the sole purpose of stroking your egos and giving you an endless supply of more compliments.

If you guys want constructive criticism, you are going to have to learn how to accept it without acting like children and getting your feelings hurt. Everything questionsleep mentioned had merit.

Chi Chi said on Apr. 14, 2013

There is a difference between criticism and nit-picking. There is barely any criticism here in the comments. The creators and actors are handling it in a more adult way than the lot of you.
I do agree that there are flaws and some things ‘could’ be better, but my god, you people are spitting on the hard work of the editors, writers, actors and such. It’s different, but not horrible.
People like you give the gaming community a bad name. Don’t like the work? Then let’s see you make it better.

Anonymous said on Apr. 14, 2013

Nit-picking is a subjective term and I’ll remind you that you don’t control how or why people express their opinions. My advice is to refrain from promoting such a work around the web if those involved are going to so over-sensitive about any comments made. That’s some golden advice right there.

Apple Kid said on Apr. 14, 2013

@Chi Chi Yes, sarcasm is truly an adult way of handling things. Look, accepting criticism is hard, but important. If you think everything you create is perfect and refuse to accept criticism your mediocre work won’t improve.

Ronald said on Apr. 15, 2013

People should really stop taking criticisms so seriously.

LuckyJack020 said on Apr. 15, 2013

Ah, I’ve been away from the computer for about a week and decided to check up on this and wow. So many comments in such a short period of time! Reading them now, I can understand where a lot of the people are coming from.

Hell, I’m probably one of the most to blame since I am the one who, in concept, gave Ness the voice I did. I am taking everyone’s opinions, from Starmen.net to this comment tread, into account so that I may better my performance and abilities in this project. I do not wish to stop contributing to the VA: LP, for it is far too fun and entertaining to not be involved in any further.

Again, thank you all for your criticisms and my apologies to those of our project who responded in less-than-satisfactory means.

FlyingManCourage said on Apr. 15, 2013

Rock on LuckyJack! I admire you, man.

Apple Kid said on Apr. 15, 2013

@LuckyJack020 That’s the spirit, when you get criticism you take it like a mature adult. I can admire you for that.

hyper voice acting said on Apr. 15, 2013

Here’s my thing about criticism.

Despite what the people on this site believe, I and the other actors ARE able to handle criticism. I’d just appreciate it if you please let us know how to improve our performances while you critique them.

Example: “I think the person voicing Pokey could use some work. Maybe if he tweaked x or changed y, then his performance would be better.”

And I DO see some of that critique here, and angelarts and LuckyJack are cool enough to acknowledge and take this criticism. The problem is most of the people commenting here are only pointing out the flaws of the LP and nothing more. Now normally that’d be fine, but they’re not giving suggestions on how to improve the quality and some of them are outright insulting us. It’s not that easy to improve on a project based off comments like “this is horrible”, “you’re amateurs”, and “you make the cutscenes in Sonic 06 look like f****ng Citizen Kane by comparison”

I’m not saying you have to sugarcoat it for our sakes, but it’d be nice if you let us know how to make the overall experience better so you.

Apple Kid said on Apr. 15, 2013

@hyper voice acting Sometimes the answer isn’t as direct or seemingly solvable by those who acknowledge the problem. Sometimes it’s based on trial and error, like a little something called real life. Besides the first few original posts were bad, but then you responded in such a negative way you only fueled the fire. Not to mention if you used some deductive skills you could’ve drawn conclusions based on what we posted. All of these combined with the fact it took you 48 posts later to express your troubles with our feedback made you seem unapproachable, stubborn, and unwilling to compromise.

Apple Kid said on Apr. 15, 2013

Oh, and your bandwagoning comments with your general “Something more than ‘this is a joke'” when in fact not every comment has these malicious attacks on your work.

Hyper Voice Acting said on Apr. 15, 2013

In my defense, on the day of this being originally posted I was having a particularly bad day and seeing those comments was the straw that broke the metaphorical camel’s back. So I lashed out and looking back on that I realize it was wrong of me. Afterwards was me simply asking why people didn’t like Ness having a voice (even though, as Mato posted, this isn’t the first time it’s happened)

Also I didn’t bring up why your method of giving feedback was, in an attempt to be politically correct, “lost to me” because I assumed it was obvious why some view it as flawed feedback.

Apple Kid said on Apr. 15, 2013

I see, I’m glad we now have both sides of the argument and hopefully, from this point on, the project can continue and flourish. Sorry if I came off as oppressive it’s a problem I need to learn to fix. I’ll be sure to watch the project closer and give pointers based on what I see.

Hyper Voice Acting said on Apr. 16, 2013

Glad we could come to terms on this argument.

Trust me the series DOES get better.

rumple stiltskin said on Apr. 16, 2013

Guys, we allow terrible, terrible fan art to be uploaded on Starmen.net without this much negativety. Know why? Because support of this series keeps it alive. We have a series of games that is likely to never see a new entry, yet the community is flourishing. This is a series where only one game has been released in America, yet it’s community is the most die-hard, devoted lot of individuals. It’s immortality is solely present because of fan work like this Let’s Play. I see this LP, and I see gushing love, time, and care spent on an EarthBound fan-creation, and I’m happy that the series continues to thrive. All of the people slinging mud really just need to stop being hateful simply for the ease of anonymous bashing without repercussions, and realize that this is a group of real people with feelings.

The#1Yoshi said on Apr. 27, 2013

I really don’t get much of the hate for this, I mean I get their not the best actors around, but I also recall Chuggaaconroy bringing in people to voice act for the final emotional battle in his Mother 3 let’s play and to be honest I thought they were much worse since they were barely giving any emotion to their voices at all Spoilers: except for maybe Claus with his last words. And I didn’t see people get in a hissy fit over those actors considering how emotional that part of the game is for some and since the characters already had established personalities in Mother 3.

And like I said I didn’t think the people who voice acted in Chuggaaconroy’s last parts of his Mother 3 LP were all that great at acting either. But I don’t see anyone calling him out for it or calling the people who acted for his finale a amateur talent-less hacks. Despite the fact they were really no better or worse than these people.

Plus this LP does have some moments that make me smile, I mean I loved the part where a person actually contributed a vocal song with lyrics for when the Suporma sings Ode to Orange Kid, that was a nice detail I loved, plus I don’t think giving Ness a voice is really any worse than a fanfic adaptation of Earthbound, and no I don’t it’s as bad as the CD-i games they’re trying as hard as they can, I mean I always thought the people here were above at least the GameFAQs style of criticism but I almost feel people want to tell them just to give up.

Plus I prefer to treat Angel’s voice in the game as sort of being the interactive narrator, plus this is pretty much their take on the characters, I mean both fan and animated adaptations of things do that with silent protagonists all the time, I’m pretty sure that if there is a Manga counterpart to Mother 2 in Japan I’m willing to bet Ness has speaking lines in them as well, as well as the author’s own take on the character. Plus I don’t know why people are expecting Oscar worthy or even something comparable to a show on TV from fans who volunteered to do something, it’s not like this is something that held auditions or anything.

Plus like I said Chuggaaconroy did the same thing in the finale in his Mother 3 LP, and they were no more talented than these guys yet no one called him or the actors who took part in it out as nearly as bad as they are Angel and these actors.