April 18th, 2013 | EarthBound

Although the news that EarthBound’s going to be released on the Wii U Virtual Console sometime this year is slightly old news, I thought it’d be nice to take a look at the official Nintendo press release about it. You can see the press release here.

Here’s what it says for the EarthBound part, for reference:

Capture

The phrasing of the headline there made me laugh out loud – good job whoever wrote it!

41 Comments to EarthBound on Wii U in Nintendo Press Release

Mezmerize said on Apr. 18, 2013

haha, what a nice touch

GriffinBound said on Apr. 18, 2013

It’s really hard to imagine it really is coming.
I’m so happy! :D

Johnny said on Apr. 18, 2013

domflo said on Apr. 18, 2013

THEY ARE MOCKING US!!!1

Joking aside, I find it to be hilarious. :D

Apple Kid said on Apr. 18, 2013

Apparently yesterday is old news. I’m way behind on my info then. Still I’m pumped!

Retrostarman said on Apr. 18, 2013

Not a dream?! This is so unusual, I feel like I’m in the Moonside version of Magicant! Not that I mind, of course! :D

Anonymous said on Apr. 18, 2013

I think they’re squandering and opportunity. Release it on 3ds, too. What if it fails to put up numbers b/c it is released on a console that is selling poorly? Damn Nintendo’s black heart.

bobsburgerking said on Apr. 18, 2013

*releasing. My bad…

Mario500 said on Apr. 18, 2013

I hope Nintendo releases the game through the original Virtual Console for folks not interested in getting a Nintendo Wii U system. This would still help Nintendo financially if they were to offer the game for the same price through both the original Virtual Console and the Wii U Virtual Console.

Sandman said on Apr. 18, 2013

This is bothering me, I’ve been waiting so long for a PAL release of this game and now it’s finally here but I don’t have the money to purchase a Wii U just for this game.
Please let it come to the Wii’s virtual console too!

Nonetheless, I’m very excited.

To annoyed 3DS fans: said on Apr. 18, 2013

Yeah, it’s not coming to American 3DS, but it’s not coming to Japanese 3DS either. We’re not being left out anymore!

Leeaux said on Apr. 18, 2013

Hilarious!

jrronimo said on Apr. 18, 2013

I almost wish they’d announced it on April 1st, just to screw with us all. :)

Darien said on Apr. 18, 2013

Apple Kid: I was thinking the same. Not sure an announcement this big really counts as “old news” after just one day. ;-)

Anonymous said on Apr. 18, 2013

I’m wondering how much they’ll change. Mabye the submarine will be gray.

2Sang said on Apr. 18, 2013

So nice. It’s like I’ve been high on magic cake for the past couple of days.

Anonymous said on Apr. 18, 2013

“You Are Not Dreaming – This Is Real”

I dunno… I started that spinning top on the table an hour ago and it’s still going…

In all seriousness though, that headline is awesome.

ClockworkFridgeworth said on Apr. 18, 2013

This announcement alone will surely boost Wii U sales. Now I’m more inclined to actually buy one :D

NovaManXP said on Apr. 18, 2013

Geez, I might actually buy a Wii U this summer.

I was eventually going to buy one, but this seems to be making me want to get it a little earlier…

jesus's cousin said on Apr. 18, 2013

getting pretty tired of people demanding this or that about the release of this game, just sit down and be patient. Should be happy enough knowing you will actually be able to play it.

LinkMaster111 said on Apr. 19, 2013

Anyone saying Earthbound should be released on 3DS just needs to clam up. The 3DS doesn’t support SNES currently, so there isn’t any point in pandering for it. Also, most people thought this was never even going to happen in the first place, for us to get a release at all is something of a miracle.

BreakingBenny said on Apr. 19, 2013

If this was for real, I’d be stunned and be psyched for the MOTHER1+2 translation on MOTHER 2’s part.

Plus, it’s nice of them to finall look past the similarities in content (Johnny B. Goode Hippie? I don’t mind!)

Anoymously Annoyed said on Apr. 19, 2013

Can everyone just stop this “The Grass Is Always Greenier” BS and just be happy?

Yes I would love to see the game put on 3DS, and would absolutely love to see Mother 1 and 3 get rereleased. But all of these people being like “Oh okay EarthBounds getting rereleased…..so? It’s not on 3DS, so this news isn’t any good. Thanks a lot Nintendo for screwing us AGAIN.” or “I’m not happy until all the Mother games get rereleased.” Eventhough these type of comments are few and far between, it’s just really annoying.

I don’t own a WiiU, or have the $300+ at my desposial, and yet me and lots of other fans without WiiU’s are still happy to see this. Nintendo is finally giving this masterpiece the treatment it deserves. Just be happy.

misterdigi35 said on Apr. 19, 2013

if I can afford to pay off my student loans, and my credit card at the same time. then I can afford 300 on a wii u. not to mention a tv. it’s a drop in the bucket in the long run.

Jdaster64 said on Apr. 19, 2013

I’ll be interested in seeing if they did do anything about those few legal concerns. Personally, the only one that I think could potentially have been a real concern was the Dali’s Clock enemy, only because it was explicitly named as such. The Johnny B. Goode and Won’t Get Fooled Again similarities are surface-level at best; it’s not like they directly sampled them or parts of them like they did for some of the other tracks.

scumbagsteveiscool said on Apr. 19, 2013

i got teh goosebumps everywhere :D

ShadowX said on Apr. 19, 2013

It seems they’ve changed… nothing?

” So we asked Nintendo director of product marketing Bill Trinen: was the music an issue?

“Not that I’m aware of,” Trinen told Kotaku’s Kirk Hamilton during an interview in San Francisco on Wednesday.

“So it’ll be the same soundtrack as the original game?” Kirk asked.

“Yeah, I mean, they’re taking the original game and putting it on Wii U,” Trinen said.”

Either Trinen is unaware of the past issues, or there never were issues. Either way, good to hear nothing is changing.

Mato said on Apr. 19, 2013

Nice! I hope the music doesn’t get changed – I didn’t think it would after Mother 2’s music was left unchanged.

It’s strange, though, because even Hirokazu Tanaka was like, “Uhh, I think there are music issues that I shouldn’t talk about.” a while back. So who knows what’s what anymore :P

Ninten said on Apr. 19, 2013

I have a feeling that the release will be canceled.

bobsburgerking said on Apr. 19, 2013

I am happy! I just figure, i don’t own a wii u, 200 for a cart is 158 dollars less than 358 for a wii u. More ppl own a 3ds. Many many more. It’s sort of a double-edged sword. If it fails again, the series localization is probably doomed. So i’m selling parts of my soul for a wii u. If i sold my copy of earthbound to buy a wii u to buy earthbound, am i doing it wrong?

KyoZaber said on Apr. 19, 2013

This is a huge step in the right direction. 3DS or no 3DS.
I got my Wii U, have it set up, and now eagerly await EarthBound’s return.

Jim-Bob-Joe-Bob-Frank said on Apr. 19, 2013

What if Nintendo was always able to re-release EarthBound, but they just wanted to see just how far we could go until they were like “OK, that’s enough. Release it.” O_o

The Great Morgil said on Apr. 19, 2013

Between this and the “Finally!” twitter pic, it seems Nintendo is developed quite the sense of humor.

girichan said on Apr. 19, 2013

Too bad I don’t even have a WiiU! Also, I don’t know how to buy stuff with my consoles. D;

G.Wicks said on Apr. 19, 2013

It’d be nice to have it on 3DS, but when it cones to my favorite games, I’ always rather play them on a TV. Much more engrossing that way :)

I ha a feeling all that stuff about music copyright issues was bunk. We’ll see, I guess!

earthbounder said on Apr. 19, 2013

Can someone tell me where i can find the number of wii u sold? I want to see how many are sold after the release of eb? I dont own a wii u but i will once i learn of the release date and i would like to know how many other people will do the same

? said on Apr. 19, 2013

On Kotaku, they talked to Bill Trinen, and he said nothing’s being changed from the 1995 release.

Anonymous said on Apr. 21, 2013