Shigesato Itoi, Giygas, and Boobies
April 17th, 2013 | EarthBound
Nintendo announced on its latest Nintendo Direct video that EarthBound is slated to be released sometime this year on the Nintendo Wii U Virtual Console in North America. It’s also going to be released in Europe.
The Nintendo Direct link is here. The EarthBound stuff starts at around 22 minutes in. Iwata states that passionate fan messages on the MOTHER 2 Miiverse was a reason for the decision to release the game outside of Japan too.
The Nintendo Twitter account also mentions this news here.
I’ll have more info as I can find it – thanks to everyone who’s sent me news/info!
A couple people have e-mailed me asking if there are going to be any changes to the game – I honestly don’t know. The Wii U version of MOTHER 2 had some slight changes (mostly things that reduce brightly flashing animations) but no content was changed. So we’ll just have to wait and see. Hopefully, since the Japanese version didn’t need content changes, this version won’t either.
I’m not sure where to get good deals on Wii Us, so if you know of any place that has a good sale or deal or anything, let me know! For now, here are some on Amazon and GameStop. Update: Apparently you can get Wii Us at Costco for $199 if you have a Costco membership. They don’t have it on their site so I can’t confirm, but that might be a good way to get one for cheap!
Here’s a look at just the EarthBound part of the Nintendo Direct video:
UPDATE Again: Itoi just tweeted with the following, which I’ve translated:
Please let your overseas friends know that MOTHER 2 (EarthBound)’s “revival” has been decided. There was an announcement that it’s going to be released this year.
Other Related Posts:
275 Comments to EarthBound on Virtual Console Coming This Year
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.
- NecrosaroIII: Itoi setting up his retirement
- Kamrom: My Recipe For Earthbound Rock Candy: 1. Get rock candy 2. Pour sugar on it 3. Watch as the sugar falls off 4. Eat the rock candy, clean up...