March 19th, 2013 | EarthBound, Videos

Hey folks, the stream of us downloading and playing MOTHER 2 on my Japanese Wii U starts now! You can check it out here!

UPDATE: We’re currently at Milky Well and it looks like no changes have been made at all to the game – no music changes at all, for example. Even the title screen is the same as the original, no new copyright date or anything.

We’re gonna keep playing, possibly all the way through the game, so check back in from time to time! And bask in the greatness of my drawings!

46 Comments to Wii U MOTHER 2 Streaming Now!

GriffinBound said on Mar. 19, 2013

Yes! I’m ready! 😀

Soulier said on Mar. 19, 2013

I’m watching from Japan! Can’t watch for long though… Have to sleep.

Prayer For Safety said on Mar. 19, 2013

I’m in the stream right now, and it’s great. Itoi showed up. To anyone reading this goahead and log on.

2Sang said on Mar. 19, 2013

My body is ready

joe said on Mar. 19, 2013

i literally just turned my laptop on and off because of the stream stopping internet explorer from working, and i could not close it.
please do me a favor and remind me in the next livestream to not watch it if your computer lags.

JamesBond007 said on Mar. 19, 2013

I missed Frank, and you are not going to fight hippies now. Is he using the same music?

Anon said on Mar. 19, 2013

Yeah, he is

JamesBond007 said on Mar. 19, 2013

I’ve asked the same question on Starmen.Net and it is unchanged. Next theme to check is Sky Runner.

Mato said on Mar. 19, 2013

Yeah, so far the game seems unchanged from the Super Famicom version. I’m looking forward to seeing if the Sky Runner music is changed, but at this rate I’m starting to not expect it to be any different.

Blueflower999 said on Mar. 19, 2013

Dangit Tomato, 7 posts in 2 days? 😛

Ostricho said on Mar. 19, 2013

Can I move to your area? PLEASE? Don’t mean to sound creepy though

CaptainCab said on Mar. 19, 2013

Frank ‘s battle theme would’ve been very easy to switch out so about zero chance they would bother to alter the music in the Skyrunner scenes, not a good sign for EB on American VC.

Earthbounder said on Mar. 19, 2013

Any changes in the game yet?

Ostricho said on Mar. 19, 2013

THEY DIDN’T CHANGE THE SKY RUNNER MUSIC?
WHATTTTTTT

Bionicfemme said on Mar. 19, 2013

Does the starting screen really say, “Don’t buy this if you’re in an English-speaking county?” Or were you guys joking? 😉

Midna said on Mar. 19, 2013

I still don’t know why people are making such a big deal out of the music. None of them are directly plagiarized, just sound-alikes (or samples, at the worst).

p.s. Anyone who thinks the Hippie music is reason enough to not rerelease the game should go look up “Rockin’ K.K.” on YouTube. Last time I checked, Animal Crossing wasn’t banned from a Western release.

Metal202 said on Mar. 19, 2013

Tomato and Co. got to the Sky Runner part and no Mother 2 has not been changed at all..

Anonymous said on Mar. 19, 2013

Do you think since the music wasn’t changed that we have any chance of getting a rerelease?

CaptainCab said on Mar. 19, 2013

So just like old times, no chance this is getting past NOA’s lawyers unless Iwata basically says “I don’t care” and forces Reggie and Co. to release it.

Anon said on Mar. 19, 2013

I kinda expected that nothing would be changed.
Keeps me wondering why it wasn’t released earlier in Japan, though. I mean, the demo in SSBB was a clear hint at a planned Wii VC release, yet it took them almost 5 more years and one console generation to actually release it. Odd.

CaptainCab said on Mar. 19, 2013

In any case, I’m glad I have my cart and player’s guide (with fully intact cards). But together they cost me $350 (no box) off eBay and with the way EB prices are now, a set like that could easily go for $150-200 more considering a cart by itself go for apprx $200. I’m a die collector with a gaming budget but obviously not everyone can do that, we really need the game on the U.S. eShop.

CaptainCab said on Mar. 19, 2013

To clarify a bit on the price history, I bought that cart+guide set (without box) for $350 back in early May 2012.

CaptainCab said on Mar. 19, 2013

Watching a bit right now, so Mato is the fellow in the Red hat? (sorry, I’m new 🙁 )

A-wel Cruiz said on Mar. 19, 2013

Watching right now, and I can’t hear anything.

dwiese1998 said on Mar. 19, 2013

Audio’s down

piggyjelly said on Mar. 19, 2013

Is there going to be any documentation of the stream chat with Marcus that’s going on, there really should be this is some interesting stuff

DJMankiwitz said on Mar. 19, 2013

I didn’t expect any real changes. These virtual console games aren’t ported so much as a ROM wrapped in a custom SNES (or video game console of your choice) emulator for the Wii U.

Also, Japan seems a lot more lax when it comes to this sort of thing, so I doubt they’d care one bit if someone decided to sue them for a sound-a-like or sampling of snippets of songs here and there. It’s the US that’s insane in that regard.

I’m hoping the sheer intensity of Itoi’s personality is able to bowl right past NOA’s concerned lawyers and into our hearts. … That was incredibly cheesy.

Ginrei said on Mar. 19, 2013

Aah, I hope someone will save the chat log! I just caught the very end of Marcus, and the Nico mystery was solved! I want to see the rest that I missed…

thedreaminhawk said on Mar. 19, 2013

Since sky runner is the only thing NCL refused NOA to alter… Maybe we could ask the creator of the song it’s based off of to give NOA Approval?

skyrunner14 said on Mar. 19, 2013

Who owns the rights to whatever song the Sky Runner theme is based off of? In fact, what song IS it based off of? I wasn’t aware it was a homage to something…

Anonymous said on Mar. 19, 2013

Won’t Get Fooled Again by The Who

Tourist said on Mar. 19, 2013

Just replace the Sky Runner song with the Runaway 5 bus music… but played in reverse. Better yet, just reverse yhe Skyrunner theme.

Zeether said on Mar. 19, 2013

We should still fight to get the game released here. NOA needs to wise up and realize the game has a fanbase and stop pulling this copyright mumbo jumbo.

misterdigi35 said on Mar. 20, 2013

It’s pretty funny that the Japanese spelling of Ness, Jeff, and Paula is simply: Nesu, Jeffu, and Pola.

Of course, a native japanese speaker probably thinks the same about the english spelling of the names.

What a funny little pickle that is. Oh Ho! Wait, I mean what a funny little fuzzy pickle that is!

Mato said on Mar. 20, 2013

Yeah I really hope someone was able to get a log of the chat – I wasn’t in the chat to see all the cool stuff going on 🙁

A-wel Cruiz said on Mar. 20, 2013

That was fun. I look forward to the continuation.

mazza said on Mar. 20, 2013

i wonder if that was really Mr. Itoi?

JB2448 said on Mar. 20, 2013
The Great Morgil said on Mar. 20, 2013

I tuned out towards the end. How far did they get?

Mato said on Mar. 20, 2013

We got to Tenda Village but due to all of us crazy people having crazy schedules we decided it’d be a good idea to end it there, with a possibility of picking it back up again sometime in the future.

PK Derp said on Mar. 20, 2013

What the hell? Im not in that chat log at all but i was talking the whole time. Was I just talking to myself the whole time!? My name was Solidmgssnake but im not there even though I know for a fact i was talking at that point. 🙁

Anyway regardless I had a lot of fun and im happy you guys stopped at Tenda Village as that means i didn’t miss much at all.

BB Gang Zombie said on Mar. 20, 2013

@Mato I came in about halfway through, but from what I saw, it was a lot of yelling at the players for making mistakes, and Pokemon, and drawing requests. 😉

It WAS a blast, though.

I have more of the log with some more of the conversation with Mr. Lindblom when I am on my computer at home; I am thrilled to have been able to ask him some of those things.

One of the things he said that surprised me when I asked him if there were any lines he particularly liked or hated was that the “Super Ultra Mambo Tango Foxtrot Martial Arts” was one of his least favorite lines. I hope I still have that part of the log, because I thought it was really interest

BB Gang Zombie said on Mar. 20, 2013

@PK Derp I don’t remember you being there at that point… Maybe it didn’t go through?

PK Derp said on Mar. 20, 2013

@BB Gang Zombie I was definitely there at that point, i can even point out my absence between two posts. I was there before that and after that aswell, i even asked Marcus a few questions but he never replied, i just thought he was overwhelmed with other questions but i guess none of it got through -_-

Earlier i was experiencing stream delay but it gradually fixed itself, i guess the trade off was not showing up in the chat. Oh well, it was still a blast! 🙂

EBMarcus said on Mar. 20, 2013

PK Derp–sorry about not answering your questions… it was a little overwhelming. There will definitely be some more chances to ask questions over the coming months. Seeing how dedicated the fans are to EB, I think it’s time to jump into the fan community. Hopefully you’ll be around for future Q&A sessions or whatever I have a chance to do…

PK Derp said on Mar. 20, 2013

@EBMarcus Oh it’s not your fault 🙂 To be fair the questions that did get answered were better. Hopefully i will be around and hopefully ill be around for the continuation of the live stream 🙂 In any case it was great to hear from you and i hope we meet again