Mini-Update Megathon #3
Itoi’s live MOTHER 2 stream was a few days ago, and I’ve been very slowly trying to go through the entire thing and list stuff of interest. Except it’s hard to find time, so I’ve been listening to it in the background while doing other stuff. Here’s what I’ve jotted down on my horribly-handwritten notes, but if I’ve forgotten anything, please let me know in the comments!
Also, this sort of thing is like a Level 99 boss of Japanese listening comprehension, so if I’ve gotten any details wrong, please let me know. Seriously, Itoi talking in the background, while eating pizza, while being spoken over, with game music playing all over that… This is the sort of thing that makes me want to pull my hair out and eat it.
Okay, to the main points of interest!
- They had all kinds of rare stuff, like the MOTHER 2 poster, three dragon jackets, and even the actual clay figures
- Apparently the jackets were made about a year before the game was finished, possibly right before Iwata joined the development team. Apparently they were made to keep everyone’s spirits up or something like that. They made enough for everyone on the development staff plus a few more.
- It took five years to make MOTHER 2, which is old news for a lot of us, but that’s a crazy long time in terms of gave development time back then.
- Apparently the “Katsuman” restaurant mentioned in MOTHER 2 changed its name to Yamaichi at some point or something like that, and Itoi wished he could’ve changed the name in the game too. I don’t remember the details or when this change happened. For more info on this, see this old post.
- Itoi took a long time to name everything. Eventually he went with all the defaults except for a few things, like “Boullion” for the dog (since his real-life dog has that name), “Croquette Rolls” for his favorite food, “Home Run” for his favorite thing, and I think “Ribbon” for Paula’s name. My notes here are sketchy so if there’s more to this, let me know.
- The Japanese phrase that shows up when you try checking something that can’t be checked is a translation from the English phrase, “No problem.”
- Itoi called Porky (pronounced like “pohkee” in Japanese) as “keepoh” a lot for fun.
- They ordered a bunch of American junk food for the event. So there was lots of pizza, cola, chicken wings, and other stuff, even some onion rings, I think. The pizza was from a place called Happizza or something like that.
- Itoi liked how Buzz Buzz wasn’t some obviously ultra-powerful outer space warrior – the fact it was just some bug that’s wise yet powerful left a more lasting impression. Or something along those lines.
- The Ness clay figure is about twice as large as the other clay figures.
- The Belch figure is actually hollow inside/underneath and doesn’t have any paint on the bottom.
- They repeated Buzz Buzz’s text a lot for laughs.
- Itoi forgot to put the Mr. Baseball cap on for a long time after getting it.
- The others have to remind Itoi about how you can use the L button to do stuff more conveniently
- Itoi took his time and wandered around town, checking lots of stuff. He got a kick out of the “don’t step on the flowers at your feet” sign.
- Everyone laughed a lot at the “yes” or “no” pop quiz question in Onett.
- I don’t have the details written down but there was some brief discussion on the development process for each individual town in the game. Apparently Onett is the #1 boring place in the game too 😛
- Memory limitations made things difficult a lot – just getting the text that you see on buildings and signs was like a crazy puzzle to get working right.
- Itoi got lost in Onett.
- They all remarked on how you could totally see Donkey Kong and Space Invaders cabinets in the Onett arcade.
- One of the Sharks in the arcade speaks with a very stuffed-up, nasally voice. Itoi did this voice multiple times and everyone laughed a lot at it.
- Itoi was beaten by Frank. The Twitter feed goes crazy.
- Frank’s name apparently comes from Frankie Goes to Hollywood.
- Miyamoto was the one who suggested the “instant win” system in the game. Which makes sense now that I think about it, since he’s apparently not an RPG kind of guy.
- They grind for experience by fighting Sharks for a while.
- Someone mentions that if there had been a fifth town in the game after Fourside, it would’ve been called something like “Fivalen”. It’s hard to hear it clearly, but in any case, Itoi says it’s true. I don’t recall if they say anything more than that about it, though. I think it was just in the idea mode and that nothing was actually made or created for it.
- At some point they discuss how the different MOTHER games connect, but I don’t have the full quote written down. I recall them saying they take place in the same world but they’re unconnected. If anyone has any more info or a timecode for reference, please let me know!
- They start talking about Ness if he were 64 years old. Everyone starts calling Ness “Ness (64)” from that point on. His slogan eventually becomes, “Money? I’ve got money.”
- At some point Itoi says MOTHER 4 is Animal Crossing.
- They talk about how Takuya Kimura, the guy on the MOTHER 2 poster, hasn’t aged at all since then. There’s also some brief discussion about why MOTHER 2 has SMAP connections in it to begin with. Apparently someone knew they’d be popular for a really long time.
- They do the butterfly trick while going through Giant Step.
- I think Iwata supposedly added the photographer stuff in, and it was apparently a lot easier to program than the pizza guy.
- Someone points out that the bit of ground right in front of Titanic Ant looks like Hokkaido. This became a running joke on Miiverse right after.
- They died against the Titanic Ant.
- Something about there being a hidden Mickey in the Summers hotel? I didn’t catch this in its entirety and I’m not even sure what a “hidden Mickey” means. A hidden “Mickey Mouse” logo?
- Itoi briefly mentioned the guy who did the battle backgrounds, I didn’t catch his name, though.
- The earth logo on the title screen was embarrassing for some reason
- While Itoi and Iwata were staying at a hotel in Kyoto, they heard some famous kabuki actor was staying there too. So they went to go pester him, but to their surprise they found him playing MOTHER 2 and really enjoying it.
- The scene at the beginning when the meteor lands was originally supposed to be during the day rather than at night.
- You know how there are some people who’ll just open up your fridge without asking and help themselves to whatever’s in there while they’re visiting? The people on the stream joked that that was how Iwata seemed when he joined the development team, that he opens other companies’ fridges.
- Real Mr. Saturns are 3/2 the size of the giant Mr. Saturn plushes that came out a few years ago.
- They finished playing shortly after defeating the cops at the Onett Police Station
Again, I’m sure there’s actually much, much more in there than just what I’ve listed. If anyone reading this can add anything else to this list or fix/add to anything on this list, please share in the comments!
Also, for reference, you can see a recording of the stream here.
Now for a bunch of screenshots, courtesy of KingDarian!
Other Related Posts:
23 Comments to Summary of the Shigesato Itoi MOTHER 2 Stream
- RalahTama: This thread is bad, I’m making it about Talah Rama now. My favorite thing about Talah Rama is his wise, knowing eyes. What’s...
- Anonymous: @adex SJW much?
- .: I once bought Metroid: Other M for $5 at Best Buy in the bargain bin. It wasn’t the greatest Metroid ever, but for $5 it was a great game!
- Sato: @Apple Kid It’s probably a UK SNES, which has the same design as the Super Famicom. There’s the possibility that this is a...
- EileenThePizzaQueen: @adex As a (mediocre) feminist I want so badly to be able to defend you here. I absolutely get why you’d be...