A common question I’ve been hearing the past couple of weeks is something like:
If EarthBound DOES get re-released on the Wii U Virtual Console at some point, do you think the price of EarthBound cartridges will drop?
I’m definitely no expert in economics or anything, but here’s an answer I gave elsewhere (I think on the /earthbound Reddit):
I think the price won’t change TOO much – Chrono Trigger’s been re-released many times yet the SNES cartridge fetches pretty high prices.
I think it’s because aside from fans, there are just game collectors in general that will spend lots of money for their collections. Add on to it that it’s possible a Virtual Console release could have content changes and it might make having the original, unchanged one that much bigger of a deal.
But I’m curious to know what others think – do you think EarthBound prices will drop considerably if a digital release happens? Let me know in the comments!
Other Related Posts:
30 Comments to Speculating on EarthBound Prices
Featured Item on eBay:
Earthbound (Nintendo SNES, 1995)
- JM: Hi NichoMania, Thanks for the comment. I took another look at the line and the Japanese is: アメリカ系の人はずっと「『4』が作られつつある」と言ってます が、嘘に決まっているじゃないかと（笑）。...
- NichoMania: Great translation, but something has been bugging me about it… Ever since, I read the last post about Itoi saying people in the...
- Sat: Thanks! I love the anecdote with the university professor.
- Mr. Tenda: This was a great interview, thanks for sharing it. Man, I wish there were more photos of the Mother 2 event, it looks interesting
- Neko Knight: Another great interview from a great man! One thing I would like to say though, has anyone asked him recently about the MOTHER 3 N64...